Bought a book recently?

Started by Slim, March 07, 2022, 10:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

Picked up the Bob  Mortimer autobiography at the airport.. a cracking holiday read...
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

Just started Pete Townshend's autobiography, Who I Am, published in 2012.

It's actually quite similar in tone, and format, at least so far, to My Effin' Life. The same sort of account of a troubled childhood, an eccentric family and a difficult adolescence, and being in a band with like-minded individuals the same age. Except that all that takes place about ten years earlier. Pete mentions that he was born on May 19th 1945, so by coincidence I started the book on his 79th birthday, ie today.

I'm consuming it in audiobook form as usual, and like Geddy he laughs and chuckles from time to time while he's reading the text. Quite endearing.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Quote from: Fishy on May 19, 2024, 03:48:21 PMPicked up the Bob  Mortimer autobiography at the airport.. a cracking holiday read...

And finished.. a cracking read.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Fishy on May 19, 2024, 03:48:21 PMPicked up the Bob  Mortimer autobiography at the airport.. a cracking holiday read...

Didn't realise he'd written one. Must order now.

Fishy

Now moved onto  The Satsuma Complex Bob Mortimer

dom

Reading Johann Hari's Stolen Focus - scary stuff!

Slim

Quote from: dom on May 22, 2024, 04:06:33 PMReading Johann Hari's Stolen Focus - scary stuff!

I'd forgotten about him. Do you think it's original, or has he plagiarised it from someone else?
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Had a little Google. Knew nothing about that! I only know him from his work on addiction and the "rat park" study. Perhaps that's not his own either.

Think the focus book is original though. He disappeared to Alaska I think, in a bid to detox from social media

Slim

Quote from: dom on May 22, 2024, 06:53:00 PMHad a little Google. Knew nothing about that! I only know him from his work on addiction and the "rat park" study. Perhaps that's not his own either.

Think the focus book is original though. He disappeared to Alaska I think, in a bid to detox from social media

He'd become a laughing stock, not only for that but for maliciously sabotaging Wikipedia entries under a false identity. I can well imagine that social media is a bit toxic when you're exposed as a liar and a fraud.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

No doubt! The book makes some very interesting points on how distracted we are becoming since the advent of mobile phones. Can only imagine the harm it is doing to children, never mind adults.

Fishy

Quote from: Fishy on May 22, 2024, 03:22:53 PMNow moved onto  The Satsuma Complex Bob Mortimer

Gave up it was shit..

dom

Quote from: Fishy on May 26, 2024, 08:24:53 PM
Quote from: Fishy on May 22, 2024, 03:22:53 PMNow moved onto  The Satsuma Complex Bob Mortimer

Gave up it was shit..

Really enjoyed that book!

pxr5

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman  - My wife bought me this a while back and I read it while away on holiday recently. I really don't get why this is so popular; I smiled a few times but the story is pretty weak and not even a very good whodunnit. I see a movie is being made too - I can't see it being any good with this source material. But the chosen cast is so obvious (Helen Mirren, Celia Imrie, .Ben Kingsley). More money in Osman's pockets to go with the rest he'll make from the follow on books.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."