Bought a book recently?

Started by Slim, March 07, 2022, 10:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Prompted by discussion of The Ipcress File, I've been on Amazon and bought a Len Deighton novel for my Kindle, Horse Under Water. I've added the Audible narration for £8 so will listen to it while cycling.

About 20 years ago I read Deighton's XPD, about a coverup of a secret meeting between Churchill and Hitler during the Second World War. Very good and this one seems to be in a similar vein - albeit that one wasn't a Harry Palmer story. Horse Under Water was the sequel to The Ipcress File and does feature Palmer.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

I watch the 2005 film of Pride and Prejudice a couple of weekends ago and thought it was wrong so I went looking for the book to reread and we don't have it so I have just bought a 1964 folio edition. Looking forward to starting it.

I have also bought in the last week

The Enchanted April Elizabeth Von Arnim
The Franchise Affair Josephine Tey
Birdsong Sebastian Faulkes

Fishy

The mrs gave me Richard Osman's Thursday Murder Club to read .. made a start a few days ago
From The Land of Honest Men

pxr5

I tend to buy a couple of books at a time from charity shops. Not a great choice often but now and again a gem turns up.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Neillwith2Ls

I got two books for Christmas; the Dave Grohl (sort of) autobiography/journal, and Billy Connolly's autobiography. I haven't started the BC one yet, but devoured the DG one in about a week - a really great read.

Rufus_the_dawg

just bought 1st edition of Silmarillion, it even has the map in the back. £5 from severn hospice.

Neillwith2Ls

Quote from: Hugh on March 19, 2022, 10:50:07 PM
Quote from: Neillwith2Ls on March 09, 2022, 09:40:56 PMI got two books for Christmas; the Dave Grohl (sort of) autobiography/journal, and Billy Connolly's autobiography. I haven't started the BC one yet, but devoured the DG one in about a week - a really great read.

Does DG's book tell the tale of his lost wallet? It would be worth the cover price for that story alone.

It sure does, most amusing!  ;D

Rufus_the_dawg

Started reading Pride and Prejudice.

cygnusxdave

I'm about two thirds of the way through a doorstop of a book I bought from a charity shop recently.

The Children Of Ash And Elm - A History Of The Vikings by Neil Price.

Blastzone

Quote from: Fishy on March 08, 2022, 12:23:13 PMThe mrs gave me Richard Osman's Thursday Murder Club to read .. made a start a few days ago
Read the first one   onto the second,  seemingly Spielberg has bought the rights to make a film of it.  Osman will be loaded

Fishy

Quote from: Blastzone on April 22, 2022, 10:40:55 AM
Quote from: Fishy on March 08, 2022, 12:23:13 PMThe mrs gave me Richard Osman's Thursday Murder Club to read .. made a start a few days ago
Read the first one   onto the second,  seemingly Spielberg has bought the rights to make a film of it.  Osman will be loaded

He's packing in Pointless to concentrate on his books I think or to count all his money....
From The Land of Honest Men

pxr5

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks. The movie was loosely based on this. Unlike the film though, the book is very good. It's written by using an interview technique where each interviewee recounts their own story from all over the world. The idea that Israel build a massive wall (as seen in the movie) is also part of the book.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Thenop

Just received a book on my club - a collection of columns and musing by a fellow Feyenoord fan and writer. Dutch title: "Hoop is uitgestelde teleurstelling". This would translate loosley to:"Hope is extended disappointment". If you know a little on the club you'd know this is a very apt title.

Also have some Dutch literature lying around waiting to be read and "To Paradise" by Hanya Yanigohara. 

dom

Following my hospital visit, the following are due to arrive shortly

Eat your way to Lower Cholesterol

Man Food (the no nonsense guide to improving your health and energy in your 40s and beyond)

The Whole Heart Solution

pdw1

Just finished the book my daughter bought me for my birthday last month.
The Glamour Boys by Chris Bryant
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glamour-Boys-Secret-Rebels-Britain/dp/1526601737/
you can tell he was a journalist and MP. Nice light read through the social history of England's toffs between the wars that they don't teach you at school with a nice anti-appeasement twist