Project Gutenberg

Started by R6GYY, January 07, 2024, 04:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

https://www.gutenberg.org/

If you are unaware of this resource, it is a famous repository of free ebooks.

I had a sudden urge to revisit some of my early science fiction discoveries, and I was delighted to find E. E. 'Doc' Smith's The Skylark Of Space on Project Gutenberg, converted from the original 3 part serialisation in pulp magazine Amazing Stories from August, September and October 1928, complete with illustations.

Whilst I have owned the more modern paperback editions from the 1970's, I cannot remember them having pictures, apart from the gorgeous cover art by Chris Foss, but that is another topic perhaps.

Anyhoo - Kindle has supported epubs since some time in 2022 (otherwise I wouldn't have one), and here is a pic of my free (legally free) copy:

Volumes 2 and 3 of the Skylark series (Skylark 3, and Skylark Of Valeron) are also available, but not the concluding volume, Skylark DuQuesne. I think this is due to the final work being published in 1965 and probably still in copyright.

It remains to be seen whether the book engrosses me like it did when I was a pup. I doubt it somehow, but we will see.

R6GYY

I've now worked my way through this, and also the 2nd book, confusingly called Skylark Three.

I can kind of see why I was enthralled with the concept of bigger and bigger esoteric energy weapons and the like.

The 3rd volume, Skylark Of Valeron is also available, and I will get on to that after I finish reading my current epic, Dan Simmons' Hyperion.

Thenop

Quote from: R6GYY on February 08, 2024, 02:40:39 PMI've now worked my way through this, and also the 2nd book, confusingly called Skylark Three.

I can kind of see why I was enthralled with the concept of bigger and bigger esoteric energy weapons and the like.

The 3rd volume, Skylark Of Valeron is also available, and I will get on to that after I finish reading my current epic, Dan Simmons' Hyperion.
Oeh, the Hyperion cantos and follow up Endymion are great!