Main Menu

Duff Rush Songs

Started by Fishy, April 02, 2022, 09:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

Ok apart from the obvious Rivendell . Tai Shan possibly Tears.. name your other songs you,d gladly never want to listen to again.. I know some folks might have whole albums here but you get to name 5.

For me
Animate
Double Agent
The Garden
Sweet Miracle
Dog Years
From The Land of Honest Men

Nick

No way Animate or Sweet Miracle.

Heresy
Anagram
Good news first

Slim

Not sure I can come up with a definitive five because there are Rush songs that I might not recognise if I heard them, simply because they're awful and I only ever listened to them a couple of times years ago.

I know for sure a few of the S&A songs are unbelievably bad to my ears but not sure which ones .. I think The Larger Bowl was one of them.

Some other stinkers I can think of:

Dog Years
Freeze
Nobody's Hero
Headlong Flight
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nick

Quote from: Nick on April 02, 2022, 10:09:54 PMNo way Animate or Sweet Miracle.

Heresy
Anagram
Good news first

Virtuality
Double agent

Slim

Virtuality's a nice artefact from the early days of the Internet's presence in the consumer domain. Awful song, I agree. Yet nice to have somehow.

I vaguely remember an interview with Neil from around that time in which he made clear he was pouring scorn on the "Internet community", if I can call it that. That seems pretty short-sighted now, I must say.

The idea of a community of Internet users seems a strange thought now, almost like referring to the "television community". But there was a time in the '90s when the World Wide Web, email and so on were the reserve of academics and nerds. It was like a hobby, like amateur radio.

The Internet surely played a huge part in sustaining the career of bands like Rush, not only by allowing them to communicate easily with their consumers via their own website and music news sites, but by providing a medium for fan communities like TNMS and the old rushmessageboard.com.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

Think I'm going bold
Cygnus X1 book 2
Dog Years
The whole of Vapour craps
Most of Presto
Nearly all of Roll the Bones

David L

Quote from: Slim on April 03, 2022, 11:32:14 AMVirtuality's a nice artefact from the early days of the Internet's presence in the consumer domain. Awful song, I agree. Yet nice to have somehow.

I vaguely remember an interview with Neil from around that time in which he made clear he was pouring scorn on the "Internet community", if I can call it that. That seems pretty short-sighted now, I must say.

The idea of a community of Internet users seems a strange thought now, almost like referring to the "television community". But there was a time in the '90s when the World Wide Web, email and so on were the reserve of academics and nerds. It was like a hobby, like amateur radio.

The Internet surely played a huge part in sustaining the career of bands like Rush, not only by allowing them to communicate easily with their consumers via their own website and music news sites, but by providing a medium for fan communities like TNMS and the old rushmessageboard.com.

Interestingly, the internet was responsible for my renewed interest in the band in 1997.
I was on a secondment in Paris and quickly had to progress to using a PC for work. Thus I had access to the web and quickly found the 'World Of Rush' website. At that point I'd not really listened to much Rush for a number of years, the music seemed so dated somehow. It was the realisation that there was a very large, active community of fans out there that got me back into the band. The tragic news of Neil's first tragedy reached me via the internet during that time too.

Matt2112

Rivendell
Good News First
Bravest Face

That's it for me, but then I'm a fanboi.

Fishy

Quote from: Matt2112 on April 03, 2022, 02:35:31 PMRivendell
Good News First
Bravest Face

That's it for me, but then I'm a fanboi.

There has got to be more...

Nick

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on April 03, 2022, 11:37:17 AMThink I'm going bold
Cygnus X1 book 2
Dog Years
The whole of Vapour craps
Most of Presto
Nearly all of Roll the Bones

Rules are 5 songs.

pxr5

Mystic Rhythms
Bravest Face
Good News First
Force Ten
The Big Money
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Fishy

Quote from: pxr5 on April 03, 2022, 07:42:19 PMThe Big Money

I'll give u the other 4 but  Big Money..blimey....😂

Jonners

I would have to break this into 2 eras: Pre and post Peart Tragedy, as I now firmly believe they were two very different bands

Pre Peart: off the top of my head:

Rivendell
War Paint
Alien Shore
Double Agent
Neurotica

To be fair, I would be happy to never hear the whole of RtB again apart from the title track

Post Peart Tragedy:

I would genuiely be happy if I never heard any of those songs ever again, I genuinely hate everything they recorded in those last 3 albums

Slim

For me some of the tunes on Clockwork Angels are up there with the best of their work, The Anarchist and the title track especially. Very surprising because there's nothing of merit on Snakes & Arrows or Vapor Trails, as you point out.

A new band turning up at a record company with the Vapid Trails tunes on a demo tape would be booted out of the front door in very short order, I would think - and rightly so.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

I really like VT, songs like Earthshine, the title track and Ghost Rider some really strong songs, but Snakes and Arrows is absolutely abysmal.  Clockwork Angels is really not much better, I find them both really unpleasant to listen to.