Main Menu

Duff Rush Songs

Started by Fishy, April 02, 2022, 09:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: dom on April 04, 2022, 02:31:34 PMI really like VT, songs like Earthshine, the title track and Ghost Rider some really strong songs, but Snakes and Arrows is absolutely abysmal.  Clockwork Angels is really not much better, I find them both really unpleasant to listen to.

I blame the producer not pushing them.  CA and SA come across has boring American rock to me. Rush could have explored other avenues, fusion, art/post rock in the vein of Mercury Rev or Mogwai and what Dave Fridmann produces.

Nick

Never get a fanboy to produce you.

Fishy

CA SA and VT all suffered from being way too long... I always wonder why they  never thought ok 40 mins top..let's stick to that... I'm pretty sure they would have improved by culling quite a few songs from each...
From The Land of Honest Men

Rufus_the_dawg

I agree, when Rush went back to shorter songs there were often 3 songs in one, it seemed to me they were stretching their ideas. The songs became less interesting.

Fishy

Not having listened to these last three albums for a while..if i had to make a cosy 40 minute ish compilation to weed out the duffers..

One Little Victory
Nocturne
Out of the Cradle
Far Cry
We Hold On
The Way The Wind Blows
Caravan
Clockwork Angels

think that clocks in around 43 mins... that would do.. bin the rest... :)

Nick

Forgot how much i disliked TWTWB.

I think the 3 track run VT, Earthshine and Secret Touch are amongst their 3 run classics.

David L

Spindrift honks to high heaven

David L

Quote from: Fishy on April 02, 2022, 09:56:31 PMOk apart from the obvious Rivendell . Tai Shan possibly Tears.. name your other songs you,d gladly never want to listen to again.. I know some folks might have whole albums here but you get to name 5.

Far too difficult. RtBs has 5 cast-iron clunkers on it alone. Very little to bother the Ivor Novello panel on that one   ;D

Nick

Slim

Is it on VT or S&A? I can only vaguely remember the title.

OK I checked. Actually had a listen for the first 50 seconds but when the vocals kicked in I had to make it stop. Sounds like a tonedeaf person having his fingernails pulled out while trying to sing from a lyric sheet over a song he's never heard before.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Quote from: Slim on April 05, 2022, 08:28:13 PMIs it on VT or S&A? I can only vaguely remember the title.

OK I checked. Actually had a listen for the first 50 seconds but when the vocals kicked in I had to make it stop. Sounds like a tonedeaf person having his fingernails pulled out while trying to sing from a lyric sheet over a song he's never heard before.

Post of the year.. man that made me laugh.. just brilliant 👍😀

David L

Quote from: Nick on April 05, 2022, 05:29:13 PMForgot how much i disliked TWTWB.

I think the 3 track run VT, Earthshine and Secret Touch are amongst their 3 run classics.
Wow! That's a bold statement. I like VT but Earthshine and Secret Touch, not so much. Personally, I'd put both How It Is and Sweet Miracle above those two. Other highlights would be One Little Victory, The Stars Look Down and Out Of The Cradle.
IMHO the songwriting on here tops that of RtBs. The melodies are stronger. Big downsides though: the 'Geddy Choir' is attendant throughout, Alex's solos have gone AWOL, I find the drumming to be mostly perfunctory and it remains one of the worst examples of the audio engineer's art we've ever witnessed. Freeze is a total turkey

Jonners

Amongst their 3 run classics

I imagine the Band would even object to that comment

Again, top of my head stuff:(apologies if anyone cant work out the shorthand)

TS/RB/YYZ or RB/YYZ/LL

DeW/A/RSA

C/TT/LvS

GD/MP/M or M/T/MD

SoR/FW/JL

S/TAK/C

the list goes on, but compare those to the VT songs and its a first round KO before a punch is thrown

Fishy

S/TAK/C

Gets my vote😀

Nick

Quote from: Jonners on April 06, 2022, 12:37:22 PMAmongst their 3 run classics

I imagine the Band would even object to that comment

Again, top of my head stuff:(apologies if anyone cant work out the shorthand)

TS/RB/YYZ or RB/YYZ/LL

DeW/A/RSA

C/TT/LvS

GD/MP/M or M/T/MD

SoR/FW/JL

S/TAK/C

the list goes on, but compare those to the VT songs and its a first round KO before a punch is thrown

Just look at them as a continuation or a return to form after the horrors of RTB , Presto and TFE where a strong two song run is a rareity.