I've Never Seen Star Wars

Started by pxr5, March 30, 2022, 12:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

I love Marathon Man...esp the bit at the end with Hoffman ...Olivier and the diamonds...
The other thing I never knew was that the Roy Scheider character and the Janeway character played by William Devane were gay....
From The Land of Honest Men

Jonners

lot of "classics" like:

Gone with the wind
Citizen kane
Wizard of Oz
Longest Day
Kramer vs Kramer
Tootsie

In fact, could be a huge list. I imagine if i went through the list of Oscar winning Best Films I reckon a good 50% would yet to be watched

Slim

Longest Day is a good one but special effects in war movies have come a long way since then, so it probably looks a bit dated now. I haven't seen it since the '70s though I watched some of the colourised version on TV when it was shown, out of curiosity.

There are two versions, one with the Germans speaking their own language with subtitles and one where they speak English with German accents.

The Battle Of Britain is another must-watch. Perhaps we should have a classic war film thread.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Couple more excellent war films
The Dam Busters
The Man who never was

Matt2112

Yes, to add:

Quite a few classic war films; and I think every Hitchcock save for Psycho.

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: Matt2112 on April 05, 2022, 01:49:42 PMYes, to add:

Quite a few classic war films; and I think every Hitchcock save for Psycho.

My favourite Hitchcock movie is The Trouble with Harry. It is about a dead body turning up in a small town and everyone thinks they did it, very funny in a macabre sort of way and its beautifully filmed.

Fishy

I always liked Jimmy Stewart in Rope and Rear Window.... could never get on with Vertigo at all for some reason...

Slim

My favourite Hitchcock film is Frenzy. Disturbing and funny at the same time. And Van Der Valk's in it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on April 05, 2022, 08:38:57 PMAnd Van Der Valk's in it.
Eye Level - Simon Park Orchestra. Bought that one
(b/w Theme from Crown Court)

Toooooooooooooooooon!!

8)  8) ........................ :-[

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: Fishy on April 05, 2022, 04:46:24 PMI always liked Jimmy Stewart in Rope and Rear Window.... could never get on with Vertigo at all for some reason...

Yes Rope is absolutely brilliant and so tense. Vertigo takes a couple of watches I found.

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: Slim on April 05, 2022, 08:38:57 PMMy favourite Hitchcock film is Frenzy. Disturbing and funny at the same time. And Van Der Valk's in it.

Trying to remember Frenzy. Eating fish soup and it was a metaphor for something and the potato scene. I must watch is again, its a film that is a good 30 years ahead of its time.

Slim

The joke is that the detective's wife has been on an exotic cooking course and the food she prepares for meals with her husband is vile. Is it a metaphor? Interesting thought, I didn't pick up on that if it is.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: Slim on April 05, 2022, 10:12:41 PMThe joke is that the detective's wife has been on an exotic cooking course and the food she prepares for meals with her husband is vile. Is it a metaphor? Interesting thought, I didn't pick up on that if it is.

Frenzy....

Found it. My wife and I watched a lot of the Hitchcock films and we always had very long discussions about them. Below is from a post she put up on someone film blog.

I watched Frenzy for the first time last night and it came to me afterwards that a sub theme in it is that if you don't feed a man's appetite he will feed it himself, in secret, and at a greater extreme.
The Police Inspector eats his full English breakfast at work and mentions wanting it three times a day. He wants plain food which is not being supplied to him because his wife feeds him bizarre evening meals which, with barely a vegetable in sight, are not nourishing either. His wife knows what he wants (a steak and baked potato) but is not willing to give him it, so he goes elsewhere to be satisfied..
The murderer goes to Agencies looking to be match with a masochistic woman, and not being supplied such, rapes and murders.
The role of food in the film is also interesting.
The murderer eats crisp fresh apples (Adam and Eve?)..
After the body in the Thames, the Police Inspector is fed a disgusting brown fish soup that looks like Thames water with horrors in it..
After the murder of the now single ex wife, he is fed a lone and dried up looking small bird on his plate.
After the last murder wherein the body is put among potatoes to return to the farm, he is fed pigs trotters, clearly from a farm.
Dark and clever stuff!

Slim

Not a film I've never seen because I did watch it as a teenager, one quiet afternoon at the Odeon Cinema in Hartlepool in the mid '70s but I've been meaning to watch it again for many years - Rollerball.

Very interesting dystopian feel and I remember a scene with a futuristic computer room that was very much of its time, with that early mystique of the computer as something to be feared.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nick

Just had a flashback to spinball in the 2000AD comic, should have been a film.