I've Never Seen Star Wars

Started by pxr5, March 30, 2022, 12:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

That's quite a typical pattern - first film a classic, second a big-budget blockbuster, third (and any subsequent efforts) a disappointment. See also: Terminator, Alien.

I hear that the one from a few years back with Tom Hardy is pretty good, though.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: David L on March 31, 2022, 08:54:51 AM
Quote from: Slim on March 31, 2022, 08:26:59 AMAnother one I've never seen - Mad Max. I must do that. Perhaps I'll designate a weekly Film Night at Slim Towers and get through these iconic films I've never seen.
Both Mad Max and Mad Max 2 are worth watching although entirely different in style due to the sequel having an awful lot  more money spent on it.
By the time Mad Max 3 (Beyond the Thunderdome)came around, they'd jumped the shark

I dont like mad max 1, mad max 2 and 3 are great.

The French Connection is brilliant but FC2 not so good
Never seen Green Mile and King Kong the Jackson remake.

pxr5

^ The Green Mile is in my top 10 movies of all time; I much prefer it over The Shawshank Redemption.

2 TV shows I've never watched:

Line of Duty   - any clips I've seen make it look like a pi$$ take
Broadchurch
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Matt2112

Please, please watch Citizen Kane; I got round to it only last year and it really is a masterpiece that's way ahead of its time in almost every respect.

Orson Welles had pretty much carte blance to make the film he wanted and that creative freedom shines through.

I'll follow up with my list - I've a feeling it could be fairly long. :-\

captainkurtz

Rufus_the_dawg

Matt2112

Slightly OT, but some films other than Citizen Kane I only got round to seeing in the 2020s:

Apocalypse Now
Raging Bull
The Goonies
The Lost Boys
The Princess Bride

captainkurtz

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on April 01, 2022, 09:53:09 AM
Quote from: captainkurtz on April 01, 2022, 06:48:40 AMBlade Runner

I can send you the dvd if you send it back?
That is really kind and really appreciated - I think I already have it...I've got the second one as well.  I know that I'll just never ever get around to watching it.  I have very little 'me' time...by the time the kids get to bed, I'm totally finished...

Matt2112

This is a selected and by no means comprehensive list...!:

Gone With The Wind (not a priority to be honest)
The Godfather trilogy
All the classic Westerns, including the "Spaghetti" Westerns
Metropolis
Scarface
Chinatown
The French Connection
All The President's Men
Deliverance
Dog Day Afternoon
Don't Look Now
Once Upon A Time In America
The Breakfast Club
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
This Is Spinal Tap
Do The Right Thing
The Incredibles (both)
Up
The Social Network

R6GYY

There are quite a few of those that I haven't seen Matt. There is only so much time, and so many new things to see too.

I do plan to watch Citizen Kane though at some point after your recommendation.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on April 02, 2022, 11:55:38 AMThis is a selected and by no means comprehensive list...!:

Gone With The Wind (not a priority to be honest)
The Godfather trilogy
All the classic Westerns, including the "Spaghetti" Westerns
Metropolis
Scarface
Chinatown
The French Connection
All The President's Men
Deliverance
Dog Day Afternoon
Don't Look Now
Once Upon A Time In America
The Breakfast Club
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
This Is Spinal Tao
Do The Right Thing
The Incredibles (both)
Up
The Social Network

The "Spaghetti" Westerns
Ferris Bueller's day Off
This is Spinal Tap

Are all must sees.
The rest? don't bother. I haven't.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on April 01, 2022, 10:04:26 AMThe Lost Boys
The Princess Bride

Both excellent films, The Princess Bride especially, with so much of it being filmed in Derbyshire and the Peak District.

Quotemy name is Nickslikk2112, you like NuRush, prepare to die

Slim

I've seen all the Spag Westerns I think, certainly all the Eastwood ones. But there are a few classic Westerns I haven't seen yet, including The Outlaw Josie Wales and Once Upon A Time In The West.

Just checked and Once Upon A Time is actually a Spag Western so I haven't seen all of them.

Matt, I think you'd like Dog Day Afternoon a lot. Pacino is brilliant - properly scenery chewingly (in a good way) brilliant. Although I've always thought Dustin Hoffman would have been perfect in that role.

Speaking of whom, anyone not seen The Graduate? I've seen it about five times. Or Marathon Man?

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: Slim on April 02, 2022, 03:55:43 PMI've seen all the Spag Westerns I think, certainly all the Eastwood ones. But there are a few classic Westerns I haven't seen yet, including The Outlaw Josie Wales and Once Upon A Time In The West.

Just checked and Once Upon A Time is actually a Spag Western so I haven't seen all of them.

Matt, I think you'd like Dog Day Afternoon a lot. Pacino is brilliant - properly scenery chewingly (in a good way) brilliant. Although I've always thought Dustin Hoffman would have been perfect in that role.

Speaking of whom, anyone not seen The Graduate? I've seen it about five times. Or Marathon Man?

Yo're in for a treat with The outlaw josey wales. Have you seen Pale Rider? which is sort of a remake of Shane, its a lovely film. Another great western is Cold Mountain, people are critical of it but I really enjoyed it. I must watch Once upon a time in the west.