Main Menu

Taylor Hawkins RIP

Started by David L, March 26, 2022, 08:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David L

Shocking news this morning. Taylor dies aged 50. Speculation it was another heart-related death (according to local media reports).  Obviously he was a massive Rush fan. His loss will be felt acutely within our community.
RIP  :'(

pdw1

Such sad news. Great drummer, huge Rush fan and according to everyone a lovely guy.
RIP and my thoughts go out especially to his wife and kids. Far too young.

Nick

Always seemed like a nice guy with that broad smile of his.

captainkurtz

Ever since Lemmy died in December 2015, I always get a little upset when artists die.  These people, to varying degrees, have made my life better than it would have been if I'd not known them.

A brilliant drummer, an essential personality within that band and a seemingly beautiful man.  I'm really sorry to learn of his passing.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: David L on March 26, 2022, 08:09:10 AMSpeculation it was another heart-related death (according to local media reports).
In Bogota of all places...

RIP Anyhoo.

pdw1

Quote from: captainkurtz on March 26, 2022, 11:47:48 AMEver since Lemmy died in December 2015, I always get a little upset when artists die.  These people, to varying degrees, have made my life better than it would have been if I'd not known them.

A brilliant drummer, an essential personality within that band and a seemingly beautiful man.  I'm really sorry to learn of his passing.
Its when the artist dropping dead are younger than you that it starts to get worrying

Matt2112

Spot on tribute/obituary in The Guardian. 

One thing I've always noticed about that publication is that if there's one thing it's very good at, it's that.

captainkurtz

Quote from: Matt2112 on March 26, 2022, 02:25:17 PMSpot on tribute/obituary in The Guardian. 

One thing I've always noticed about that publication is that if there's one thing it's very good at, it's that.
They're right about their third record being the best...there's melodic beauty to that record that diminished in everything that followed.

pxr5

Wow, really shocking news. What a great guy he seemed. RIP sir.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

Was sad to hear this. I never really connected with the Foo Fighters to be honest. Always thought of them as occupying that lowest-common-denominator space between pop music and rock.

There's a lovely anecdote from our erstwhile comrade Fred Barchetta on Facebook, by the way.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pdw1

I have got some great boots of Sass Jordan on the Rats tour with Taylor on drums.
To quote Wikipedia
In the early 1990s, Sass Jordan toured with 22-year-old Taylor Hawkins, who later gained fame as the drummer of Foo Fighters. Of Jordan, Hawkins has said, "Sass taught me how to be in a rock and roll band and gave me my first rock and roll check." On July 9, 2015, Jordan was reunited with Hawkins when she joined Foo Fighters on stage in Toronto to cover "Stay With Me" by the Faces. Before the performance, Dave Grohl said, "If it weren't for Sass Jordan, Taylor Hawkins wouldn't be in Foo Fighters."

captainkurtz

Quote from: Slim on March 26, 2022, 08:05:02 PMWas sad to hear this. I never really connected with the Foo Fighters to be honest. Always thought of them as occupying that lowest-common-denominator space between pop music and rock.

There's a lovely anecdote from our erstwhile comrade Fred Barchetta on Facebook, by the way.
Their first 3 records are superb.  The first is essentially a Grohl does everything solo record - Taylor doesn't play on the first 2.  As a live band they were always superb though...great fun, playing every gig like it was their last. 

Jonners

Drugs related by the sound of it?

Matt2112

Quote from: captainkurtz on March 26, 2022, 11:08:49 PMTheir first 3 records are superb.  The first is essentially a Grohl does everything solo record - Taylor doesn't play on the first 2.  As a live band they were always superb though...great fun, playing every gig like it was their last. 

Yes - I saw them at Manc MEN on my 33rd birthday; and I remember at one point they did a bit of a "teaser" for YYZ.