Alien 3. One of the original scripts.

Started by Rufus_the_dawg, March 25, 2022, 09:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus_the_dawg

The much maligned Alien 3 had a long slow birth. One of the scripts that did have the go ahead and sets were been made was a Vincent Ward vision so called "name of the rose in space". This vision was stopped at the last minute which is shame. Vincent Ward directed the brilliant The Navigator: A medieval odyssey.

Here is a link to what might of been for Alien 3 http://vincentwardfilms.com/project/concepts/alien-3/graphic-novel-in-8-parts/part-1/

and here is some more reading https://thequietus.com/articles/08736-alien-3-david-fincher-20-years-on

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/alien-movies/alien-3/a-cathedral-in-outer-space/

I think many aspects of his vision do get put in to Alien 3 but it obviously very different.

Matt2112

I remember thinking it just wasn't terribly good. Same for Alien Resurrection.

Slim

I saw it at the cinema in the '90s and was disappointed. Haven't seen it since. A bit like the Terminator franchise, only the first two really count.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

The first film is a classic, Aliens is silly but fun. I definitely can see there is a great film in 3, apparently there is a another version with another 30mins added and sorts some of the problems. If you look through some  of the links it explains why it is a mess.

I liked 4 Resurrection, but not up to the first classic film. Prometheus and Covenant are much maligned and plenty to enjoy. I like that Ridley Scot tries to explain how the Alien came in to life.

R6GYY

Alien - will probably always be in my top 10 films. In fact for many years the top 2 have been Alien, and Die Hard.

Aliens - what's not to like? The Special Edition is even better.

Alien 3. Oh dear. Oh deary dreary me. Too many fingers interfering.

I have 2 big problems with Alien 3 (and that is without discussing that ending!):
1. I just did not have any empathy with any of the inmates. Remember the terror as Dallas worked his way through the air-ducts in the original? Part of that was getting to know Dallas beforehand and feeling for him. There was no-one in Alien 3 that I gave a flying rusty fandango about (apart from Ripley) so I just waited patiently for them to get picked off.
2. The sound. In the cinema, the sound was terrible.

It did introduce some new ideas such as Alien/other species hybrids, which of course, we got more of in Alien 4.

Alien 4: Resurrection
I actually enjoyed this, APART from the Newborn. Not needed. Some badly needed humour of sorts after the thoroughly depressing Alien 3. Underwater sequences were very well done and very scary to boot!

Some interesting ideas too, especially Ripley's mental link to the hive, which is explored more in the novel of the film.

I hadn't intended writing all this, but here we are, and that is it for now. Back for Prometheus and Covenant at some point. Perhaps even AvP and AvP2?

R6GYY

So, let us get AvP and the sequel out of the way.

AvP: this, I enjoyed very much, at least until all hell broke loose as it were. Good fun. Paul Anderson is great at building tension. I just looked him up, and had forgotten that he was responsible for a real gem - Kurt Russell sporting a serious haircut in Soldier. But I digress.

AvP2: this was sick, and I don't mean in a good sense. Thoroughly revolting (to my sensitivities) in parts. Some of it was very well done, but not a film I would willingly watch again. I enjoyed the Predator setting traps for the Aliens, that kind of thing.

I will return for some views on Prometheus and Covenant.

pxr5

I loved Alien and Aliens, the 3rd not so much. 4 was average and Prometheus and Covenant were forgettable.

I've got one of these sat atop a wardrobe in a spare bedroom upstairs (along with quite a few other movie figures, much to my wife's dismay). Interesting to see how much these are going for on ebay now:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255455760346?hash=item3b7a598fda:g:W8YAAOSwIt9iIr0Q
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Matt2112

Do you know what, I've actually never got round to watching Aliens.

I know, I know...roast away.  :-\ 

pxr5

Quote from: Matt2112 on March 29, 2022, 11:07:34 PMDo you know what, I've actually never got round to watching Aliens.

Boo hiss. You're lucky in a way as you've got something great still to watch. It's well worth it.

Makes me wonder what other well known movies people haven't ever watched - I'll start a new thread.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

R6GYY

Quote from: Matt2112 on March 29, 2022, 11:07:34 PMDo you know what, I've actually never got round to watching Aliens.

I was going to go all Samuel L. Jackson on you, but instead . . . .

Slim

It's not the dark masterpiece that Alien is, but it's a lot of fun. More an action film than a horror film.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nick

I watched Alien covenant by chance last week. Nicely shot but same old story, fodder crew for the Alien and a super hero female lead.

Rufus_the_dawg

Yep an Alien film.

What I like about the script and ideas from alien 3 that was never made is that is was very different, totally original.

David L

Glad they never made Chitty Chitty Bang Bang 2