Main Menu

Bought a CD recently?

Started by Slim, March 24, 2022, 12:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Just acquired Secrets by Allan Holdsworth.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Ali

Tony Martin (ex-Sabs) - Thorns

Slim

Sabbath have had a surprising number of singers, haven't they?
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pdw1

Quote from: Slim on March 25, 2022, 06:58:19 PMSabbath have had a surprising number of singers, haven't they?
Is 4 a surprising number?

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: pdw1 on March 25, 2022, 07:56:48 PM
Quote from: Slim on March 25, 2022, 06:58:19 PMSabbath have had a surprising number of singers, haven't they?
Is 4 a surprising number?
Bet you've forgotten Bill Ward and Ian Gillan's son Ray, the bloke from Savoy Brown, Glenn "AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!" Hughes and some other bloke.

Nickslikk2112

Just ordered a box with 21 CDs a DVD and 2 Blu-rays: King Crimson - The Road to Red

Rufus_the_dawg

Slim

I'll listen to it tomorrow and let you know.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Quote from: Slim on March 26, 2022, 08:01:49 PMI'll listen to it tomorrow and let you know.

I like it. Accessible fusion. Smooth.

I have mixed feelings about Holdsworth. He was a stunning musician but too often he widdled at extreme high speed just because he could. Amazing legato technique but I don't think it always serves the music well and that's the case too often here.

There are some interesting vocal performances as well, with a singer called Rowanne Mark providing Julie-Andrews-esque snippets on the title track.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Bought Zappa's Imaginary Diseases, one of many posthumous releases and really good.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: Slim on March 28, 2022, 07:30:49 PM
Quote from: Slim on March 26, 2022, 08:01:49 PMI'll listen to it tomorrow and let you know.

I like it. Accessible fusion. Snooth.

I have mixed feelings about Holdsworth. He was a stunning musician but too often he widdled at extreme high speed just because he ould. Amazing legato technique but I don't think it always serves the music well and that's the case too often here.

There are some interesting vocal performances as well, with a singer called Rowanne Mark providing Julie-Andrews-esque snippets on the title track.

Holdsworth is obviously a brilliant guitarist, not heard much but often think I should buy more. My favourite album with him on is Soft Machine -Bundles, and he fits in with their sound rally well. John Etheridge took over from him on the next SM album and he did a brilliant job. I like the idea of him AH playing in Level 42, their is a YouTube video of it....without any video!

Slim

I really like Level 42. Mark King came to the view that although he was an amazing player, he wasn't right for the band. There's a very interesting interview with Jakko Jakszyk in which he talks about meeting Holdsworth and being mentored by him. He went on to replace him in that band.

Just found it, here: about 32 mins in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaiHGMvMSDE
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Ali

Steppenwolf Live

(Part of a 3 for a quid at the British Heart Foundation in town 👍

The other 2 were the Clash - the Singles and Change Everything by Del Amitri, which, as I already own a couple of copies, I've given to a girl I fancy - I sure know how to spoil the ladies, do I not? 😁)