Food

Started by Nick, March 22, 2022, 08:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

The great weather means I will be cleaning up the bbq this weekend. I enjoy my cooking in general but cooking on the bbq always gives an extra taste to the food.

Roll on warmer days and lighter evenings.

pxr5

This week is being unseasonably warm - I actually mulled getting the BBQ out, then it got colder and I saw sense.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nick

1kg of mussels at Tesco for £3, this is such a bargain for a tasty simple quick meal. Shallots, garlic, white wine, cream and a bouquet garni, chopped parsley. Serve with bread. 10 mins. (Chucking away any damaged mussels before cooking)

dom

Do they come clean, like beardless? Seem to remember my dad spending ages scrubbing them. As a result I've always bought them prepared in a sauce.

Nick

I buy them in the nets or sealed boxes while they are alive. Most are clean but I always just tip them into a sink of water first and give them a brief rub in my hands to check if they are broken. Very few have beards anymore.

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/moules-mariniere-with-cream-garlic-and-parsley/

Fishy

Going to give the pizza oven another go....
From The Land of Honest Men

Nick

Quote from: Fishy on April 12, 2022, 10:22:16 PMGoing to give the pizza oven another go....

Been eyeing up an Ooni oven, like the thought of it but rolling out the pizza dough bases puts me off.

Fishy

Quote from: Nick on April 13, 2022, 07:30:49 AM
Quote from: Fishy on April 12, 2022, 10:22:16 PMGoing to give the pizza oven another go....

Been eyeing up an Ooni oven, like the thought of it but rolling out the pizza dough bases puts me off.

Yes my first time with it was a bit of a disaster ... was advised by friends to use tesco ready made pizza bases.. load them up . cook in 3-4 mins.. perfect pizza.. so will give that a go

dom

Having never given it a second's thought I'm going to have to switch to a low cholesterol diet. It seems to mean kicking all nice stuff out. Anyone in a similar boat who can help a lost soul?

David L

Quote from: dom on April 13, 2022, 11:45:04 AMHaving never given it a second's thought I'm going to have to switch to a low cholesterol diet. It seems to mean kicking all nice stuff out. Anyone in a similar boat who can help a lost soul?
Luckily not in a similar boat but if you are trying to reduce fat from meat, I can recommend Quorn products. The mince works well in spag-bol, cottage pies etc. We also supplement our pasta dishes with the cocktail sausages (sliced and fried) to add some protein. Sometimes have the meatballs.

Slim

I like Quorn, not even a vegetarian any more but I often eat it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on April 13, 2022, 02:10:04 PMI like Quorn, not even a vegetarian any more but I often eat it.
We're not veggies either, just thought it wise to reduce meat-intake a bit. We're also fans of Finnebrogue's nitrite-free bacon.
We just try to eat sensibly, tbh. Just don't ask me to give up Ritz biscuits.......or dark chocolate.....or real ale......or...............!

Nick

Had a dirty kebab last night..it was nice.

David L

Quote from: Nick on April 14, 2022, 02:01:55 PMHad a dirty kebab last night..it was nice.
Is that 'sex talk'?

Fishy

Quote from: Fishy on April 13, 2022, 07:48:55 AM
Quote from: Nick on April 13, 2022, 07:30:49 AM

Yes my first time with it was a bit of a disaster ... was advised by friends to use tesco ready made pizza bases.. load them up . cook in 3-4 mins.. perfect pizza.. so will give that a go

Much better results today..4 edible pepperoni onion and green pepper pizzas..