Main Menu

20 Years Ago: R30

Started by Slim, September 12, 2024, 04:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

My R30 gig took place in Manchester, 20 years ago today. It was my first Rush gig since 1988, unless I'm mistaken - they'd given the UK a miss on their various tours for many years.

I've never remembered that night as one of my best Rush gigs, but it was pretty good. I do remember becoming excited and emotional during the 'R30 Overture' piece that opened the show.

It was Neil's birthday (he'd be 72 today) and a birthday cake was wheeled on for him just before the encore.

But I also remember that day as the first time I met anyone from TNMS, and quite a lot of the usual contributors were at the Moon Under Water pub for a meet before the gig. Andy Field subsequently authored a thread on the site expressing his surprise that I was a "normal bloke".

I also met a young lady there whom I had a long-distance relationship with for a year or so, perhaps some will remember "Sary", who was a frequent TNMS contributor at the time. It was her birthday as well! In hindsight it was destined not to last very long, but I do remember her very fondly. And I got to go to Helsinki a couple of times.

Can't quite believe it's been 20 years. I wrote about my visit to Manchester here, not long after the gig:

http://www.jamesgibbon.com/manchester/
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nick

Can't be 20 years can it :'(

I remember the meet up at the moon and also Sary, i think myself and Andy Field got her into our row during the gig. Vague memories of a rock club afterwards.

captainkurtz

I left that gig just after the drum solo and as they started the acoustic bit.  I was absolutely shattered, having driven to and from all the gigs to get back home to Newcastle..