Speech Enhancer

Started by Slim, September 02, 2024, 04:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I have an audiobook downloaded from somewhere a few years ago. It's in MP3 format but originally transferred from a cassette, and unfortunately it sounds like it's been de-noised a bit aggressively to remove tape hiss. I had a go at EQ-ing it with Audacity and that improved it, but I found an online AI speech enhancer tool here: https://podcast.adobe.com/enhance

.. and that did a brilliant job. It's intended mainly to remove background noise and that wasn't what I needed here. But it did a great job of making the speech on the recording sound more natural. The first 17 seconds or so here is a clip of the original audio, and is followed by the enhanced version of the same clip.

Free to use, but you're limited to 30 minutes of audio in one go unless you pay (don't know what it costs).

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

I'm thinking I might dig out some of the cassette recordings of radio interviews that I made in the late '70s and early '80s (if I can find them) and have a go at cleaning them up. I do have a tape deck in the loft. I think I should be able to hook it up to my PC.

Somewhere I have an interview with Alex Lifeson (no less) that I taped from Metro Radio in 1977. It was recorded off-air from a medium wave transmission and it's almost unintelligible. I wouldn't expect a miracle but maybe I can get it at least to a point where I can make out what he's saying.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan