Main Menu

Alien: Romulus

Started by R6GYY, August 27, 2024, 06:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

Hmm...

I saw this at the Imax, and in all, it is quite a satisfying addition to the 'franchise'.

Some interesting ideas and plenty of suspense, terror, and defying of audience expectations sometimes (my heart was definitely pounding at points).

Whoever it was that said that Romulus ignores what happened in Ridley Scott's prequels Prometheus and Covenant I would argue is wrong. There are so many things which refer back to some of the events, or 'things', especially Prometheus. All I will say without hopefully spoiling much is "Engineer". Hopefully that will be cryptic enough.

The single worst thing about the many franchise references (and there are a LOT of references to earlier films), is the use of the line "Get away from her . . . . you bitch". Completely wrong in context too if you ask me.

But the atmosphere, the claustrophobia, the pacing, the lighting, the audio cues. This is 'old-school' alien for a modern audience. Also, and key for any alien film (the 3rd film especially fell at this hurdle) is that you should care for at least some of the characters. This film shrewdly gives you chance to get to know the cast a bit before the inevitable kicks off. For that I am thankful.

There is a character I would like to talk about, but it would be a major spoiler if you haven't heard about it already.

I just wish they had toned down the 'fan service' a bit.

Overall, 4/5.

Slim

Didn't know there was another one .. really only the first two ever worked for me. Even the later two with Sigourney Weaver in left me cold really. Having said that I think I only ever saw one after those first four.

Alien vs Predator maybe? Don't even remember it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan