Main Menu

Paris Olympics

Started by Fishy, July 25, 2024, 12:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenop

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 26, 2024, 08:29:54 PM
Quote from: pxr5 on July 26, 2024, 07:53:50 PM...and what's with the country order? Germany come out at A (Allemagne), but the yanks come out at U (USA) instead of E (Etats-Unis) - there may be others too.
Seppos are so ignorant they'd think they weren't there if that happened. Plus coming out at the end will fit in better with Network TV

Noticed the Pays Bas came out correctly in alphabetical order, but were labelled Netherlands.

Allez, c'est Les Pays Bas!

Slim

Quote from: pxr5 on July 26, 2024, 07:38:33 PMWatching the opening ceremony. What the fuck is this? A novel idea gone horribly wrong - it's awful. even Gojira can't lift this mess.

Clearly the weather didn't help but even in the warmest sunshine I don't think it would have been anything but dismal. Really feels low-rent and amateurish. Bit of a disaster.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Just shows how justified Brexit was.

Look back to the London 2012 Opening Ceremony and compare to the Euromerde.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Thenop on July 26, 2024, 08:41:14 PM
Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 26, 2024, 08:29:54 PM
Quote from: pxr5 on July 26, 2024, 07:53:50 PM...and what's with the country order? Germany come out at A (Allemagne), but the yanks come out at U (USA) instead of E (Etats-Unis) - there may be others too.
Seppos are so ignorant they'd think they weren't there if that happened. Plus coming out at the end will fit in better with Network TV

Noticed the Pays Bas came out correctly in alphabetical order, but were labelled Netherlands.

Allez, c'est Les Pays Bas!
En forme longe c'est le Royaume des Pays-Bas  ;)

I think when putting countries in alphabetical order the definite article is ignored.

Slim

Ye gods. The French have made a right dog's breakfast of the opening ceremony. Never seen such a vulgar, tacky spectacle in my life.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

Awful, just awful - I gave up at 'T' when that vulgar fashion parade was going on. Also Czechia came out at letter 'N' - I've no idea?
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

I just hope France's failure with the opening ceremony doesn't carry over into the actual competition.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Silver for Anna Henderson in the Women's ITT :)

And some divers got a Bronze.

dom

Quote from: Slim on July 27, 2024, 12:28:20 AMI just hope France's failure with the opening ceremony doesn't carry over into the actual competition.

I only saw the ending and thought it was pretty spectacular despite the best efforts of the weather to spoll it

Nickslikk2112

No medal for Josh Tarling :(

Could have been Gold, but for lousy, stinking, third-world French roads.

dom

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 27, 2024, 05:04:17 PMNo medal for Josh Tarling :(

😂😂😂 3 weeks of this Nick?

dom

Dupont's decision to forego the 6 nations to be able to compete in the Olympic Rugby 7s proved to be a good one as les bleus take Gold.

Slim

Great Britain holds the distinction of being the only country to have struck gold at every Olympic Games, although that's only because the USA boycotted Moscow in 1980.

Our gold medal performance for each Games:

That sudden increase from 1904 to the London games in 1908 is dramatic. I wonder why the home advantage was so impactful. More preparation? Events selected to favour British competitors?

At the Paris Olympics in 1900, there was a live pigeon shooting event. 300 birds were released in all. The winner, Leon de Lunden of Belgium, bagged 21 of them.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: dom on July 27, 2024, 05:08:14 PM
Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 27, 2024, 05:04:17 PMNo medal for Josh Tarling :(

😂😂😂 3 weeks of this Nick?
No, just two and a bit :)

Dirty,  stinky, unwashed, Neanderthal Froggoes won the Rugger 7s too  >:(

Nickslikk2112

Mind, if there's one thing worse than Froggoes it's dumbass Seppoes chanting YEW-ESS-AY!