Main Menu

Paris Olympics

Started by Fishy, July 25, 2024, 12:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

Starts tomorrow.. will anyone be watching any of it?
From The Land of Honest Men

Fishy

'Circus' football opener 'pathetic' - Mascherano https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c7294ev3dd5o

Bizarre stuff here...

Slim

Actually already started! I was surprised to hear on the radio yesterday that some of the footy and rugby (if I remember correctly) were already taking place.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Having a chuckle on an article.

Apparently the athletes sleep on specially designed cardboard beds, reducing carbon footprint and all.
I know every little thing helps, but the number of flights required to get everybody there, the elephant in the room, is a hot potato.

Slim

Yes, ridiculous. And this sort of gesturing does nothing for climate change, it just reinforces the narrative that you can make a difference by measures that are in truth ineffectual.

Just did a bit of research, very (very) roughly a cardboard bed might have a cardboard footprint of 20kg. A metal bed might have a carbon footprint of 80kg.

But a metal bed will last a lot longer than a cardboard bed, and anyway both can be recycled. I'd be more impressed if they'd bought some cheap second-hand beds.

Most of the athletes travelling a significant distance will get there by charter flights I think, and the plane they're on will be knocking out about 15kg a minute. Of course there might be more than 100 athletes and support staff on a single flight.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

And the athletes accommodation has no air-conditioning - so the USA have brought over their own...

The sainted BBC staff have sent some staff by bicycle.

I'll watch the cycling - Road and Track; Rowing; Some Athletics and Swimming.

Thenop

I'm mostly looking forward to see Femke Bol and Sifan Hassan run fast, very fast.
Cycling, of course and whatever else comes across my screen.

Slim

I like the cycling, actually it's the only time I watch cycling as a competitive sport. Will probably watch some of the athletics. Maybe a bit of the tennis. No doubt I'll listen to other stuff while out on a bike from time to time.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

I'm looking forward to the Squash - first time ever in the Olympics; which is way, way overdue.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Thenop

So, the opening ceremony will be tonight, and they actually managed to sort Gojira to be part of it  ;D

For those unaware, here's a little clip (joking this is a full concert):

David L

New event this year - arson 

Fishy

pxr5

Watching the opening ceremony. What the fuck is this? A novel idea gone horribly wrong - it's awful. even Gojira can't lift this mess.

pxr5

...and what's with the country order? Germany come out at A (Allemagne), but the yanks come out at U (USA) instead of E (Etats-Unis) - there may be others too.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: pxr5 on July 26, 2024, 07:53:50 PM...and what's with the country order? Germany come out at A (Allemagne), but the yanks come out at U (USA) instead of E (Etats-Unis) - there may be others too.
Seppos are so ignorant they'd think they weren't there if that happened. Plus coming out at the end will fit in better with Network TV

Noticed the Pays Bas came out correctly in alphabetical order, but were labelled Netherlands.