Main Menu

Paris Olympics

Started by Fishy, July 25, 2024, 12:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David L

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on August 01, 2024, 09:53:11 PM
Quote from: Nick on August 01, 2024, 08:08:48 PM
Quote from: pxr5 on August 01, 2024, 05:18:16 PMAnother Simone Biles show at the Gymnastics today. The other contestants may as well go home.

Amazing performance, I think she could beat the Algerian boxer as well.
I highly doubt it.
She's shite. Not even won as many Golds as Sir Jason Kenny and he's had a fecking hard life, he comes from Bolton!

Thankfully Andy Murray will now disappear. Boiled my piss when Clare "I know Jack Shit, he was one of daddy's stable lads" Balding pronounced the sour faced Jocko as Britain's Greatest ever Tennis player (Ever heard of Fred Perry, Clare?) or even Britain's greatest ever sportsman (Clare, how about Colin "Bomber" Harris?)
Surely you mean Arthur ''Bomber' Harris - knocked out loads of Germans

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Slim on August 01, 2024, 10:15:06 PMWould Fred Perry beat Andy Murray over five sets? I'm going to say no.
But would the miserable snarling Jocko beat Fred Perry at Table Tennis? I'm going to say no.
Would the miserable snarling Jocko be behind a successful clothing company? I'm going to say no.

Nickslikk2112

Bloody Croatians beat us in the Men's pairs rowing. I saw it coming, the commentators didn't.

Thenop

And another rowing gold for the women 2, nicely done ladies!

Nickslikk2112

Team GB Gold in the Women's Lightweight Double Sculls, by nearly a length too, that's better :)

Thenop

And another right after that in the women's 49ers sailing. Was a bit confusing in the end but they won.

Slim

We're still a gold medal behind the French at the moment, but I'm looking to Team GB to assert Britain's dominance as Europe's pre-eminent Olympic power in the coming days.

The French have delivered a sub-par Games so far, it must be said. The embarrassing opening ceremony, the inferior swimming pool, the pollution in the Seine causing events to be delayed. But the Johnson Olympics of 2012 set the bar very high.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Never heard it called the "Johnson Olympics" before.  I typed it into google to see if the phrase had passed me by.  The first page includes Ben and Michael, but no mention of Boris  ;D

At least you' seem to have moved away from the  belief that the Paris Olympic infrastructure is deliberately assisting French athletes so that's something at least

dom

And that was my 2112th post on here!

Sorry to hammer the point home but it seems to me that it was defintively not the Boris Johnson Olympics - even if he happened to be the mayor at the time

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/boris-johnson-london-olympics-2012-tory-leadership-background-mayor-a8969266.html

Slim

I don't see how you can say it wasn't the Johnson Olympics, when he was in charge of London throughout the planning and execution of the 2012 Olympic Games in that city. I'm not saying it's a commonly used term, but it's an extremely accurate one.

On whether the French are cheating - I think it's highly possible. Interesting to see how the Games unfold during the mainstream athletics events.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

I'm just glad that at least for the time being we left Ze Germans behind us... We scored gold medal nr. 5, so the a.m. table is already outdated.

Slim

By the way - I don't wish to delve into explicitly political matters here, but I'll just say that readers might wish to contemplate how well that Independent piece had aged less than six months later.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Quote from: Slim on August 02, 2024, 12:24:32 PMI don't see how you can say it wasn't the Johnson Olympics, when he was in charge of London throughout the planning and execution of the 2012 Olympic Games in that city. I'm not saying it's a commonly used term, but it's an extremely accurate one.

On whether the French are cheating - I think it's highly possible. Interesting to see how the Games unfold during the mainstream athletics events.

Did you read the article?

Pity that you haven't changed your mind on Parisian cheating.  It is a completely unfounded belief

dom

First article - sour grapes or what!  She lost to her compatriot who set a new olympic record in the process!

And completely put down by the Australian Swimming coach - her boss

"The Olympics has always been a challenge. Every Olympics I've been a part of, every Olympic Games that you see, is a test of athletes' ability to come here, compete and perform when it matters," insisted the 56-year-old.

Second article - I think it was a mistake not to have a second course set up for the triathalon,  although from a legacy perspective the cleaning up of the Seine will be a huge achievement.