Main Menu

Paris Olympics

Started by Fishy, July 25, 2024, 12:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

I got it wrong about Squash in this Olympics (it's actually LA 2028 instead). Rather, we get these ridiculous 'sports' like feckin' break dancing and skate boarding. What next: Darts, Dominoes and Pool. I heard today that the first medal GB ever won was in 1896 - in Weightlifting, one handed. I'd rather watch that or tug-of-war than some snotty kids spinning on the floor.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Thenop

Quote from: pxr5 on August 09, 2024, 10:08:10 PMI got it wrong about Squash in this Olympics (it's actually LA 2028 instead). Rather, we get these ridiculous 'sports' like feckin' break dancing and skate boarding. What next: Darts, Dominoes and Pool. I heard today that the first medal GB ever won was in 1896 - in Weightlifting, one handed. I'd rather watch that or tug-of-war than some snotty kids spinning on the floor.

Given the popularity, Padel is more likely to be next.

Our girl came in 4th by the way, so now I am really not liking this.

Nickslikk2112

I'd be ashamed for my Country to win a Breaking medal.
Get these kids running, rowing, cycling, swimming, real competitive stuff.

Thenop

And more!
Bronze for the synchronized swimming ladies, the Dutch twins  ;D
And just now Silver for the Ladies in the 400m relay.

Well done!
Still possibly more in the cycling semis and finals.

Thenop

Ohhh.. Sifan Hassan wins the Gold medal in het 3rd ever marathon. Fantastic!

Thenop

And there is Harry's Hattrick, his 3 gold this time on the Keirin.

That means 15 gold Olympic medals for us :o I believe it's one more than the UK. Of course the grand total is less, 34 I think. But I find it to be quite an achievement!

Slim

Yep we've been beaten by the Dutch team as well as the French; that's disappointing. In all honesty I think there's probably been a bit of cheating going on on the part of the organisers. Some of the officiating, especially in the boxing, was clearly intended to disadvantage British competitors. I still wonder about that puncture in the mountain biking. Sabotage? Then of course the trap shooting woman from Team GB who was improperly made to make do with silver when it was claimed she hadn't hit her target.

Then there's the poor accommodation and food (no doubt many of the French athletes had their own accommodation).

But we must remember that not all the peoples of the world share the British instinct for fair play, and get on with it. The Americans will make a better job of an Olympics than the French have this time, of that I have no doubt.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Slim on August 11, 2024, 02:19:21 PMThen there's the poor accommodation and food (no doubt many of the French athletes had their own accommodation).

Well, British Cyclists had their own hotel, but I read an article last night in which a turncoat British cyclist (former junior UK Omnium champion) who now cycles for the French and he said that they were in a country Chateau with the best chefs and support staff available - and he's only a reserve.

Still, overall we got more medals than the French and we did come third in the Medal's table at London, then second at Rio. France cannot match that.

Nickslikk2112

Nice to see that the foul-faced French swimmer walk off with a Protector Mine safety Lamp made in Eccles when the Olympic flame was extinguished. Good old British Technology although how it could be lit by a fake flame, who knows?

dom

A brilliant game hosted in a fantastic city. Just enjoy it. Bitter and twisted is really not a good look

Boxing officiating did look dodgy at times but that had absolutely nothing to do with the host nation. (Indeed the host nation did not benefit anyway)

Britain finished behind NL and France (and Australia). Just suck it up and try to do better next time. Get buying those lottery tickets !

dom

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on August 08, 2024, 07:08:33 PMComplete and utter stitch up in the Velodrome to give a stinking Frog a Gold  >:(

Benjamin Thomas was eliminated in the Elimination race of the omnium and then reinstated for no apparent reason. If that result had stood he wouldn't have won gold.

Been a bit of an omnishambles all round in the velodrome with bells for the last lap being rung too late or not all.
Quelle surprise!

dom

Stunning final result for the Dutch the Nop - you should be very proud

Thenop

Quote from: dom on August 12, 2024, 12:22:27 AMStunning final result for the Dutch the Nop - you should be very proud

We did well, I think the whole country is proud. Some unexpected wins, some we lost unexpected, but overall our best Games ever!

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: dom on August 12, 2024, 12:21:07 AM
Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on August 08, 2024, 07:08:33 PMComplete and utter stitch up in the Velodrome to give a stinking Frog a Gold  >:(

Benjamin Thomas was eliminated in the Elimination race of the omnium and then reinstated for no apparent reason. If that result had stood he wouldn't have won gold.

Been a bit of an omnishambles all round in the velodrome with bells for the last lap being rung too late or not all.
Quelle surprise!
Well, no surprise at all that the French made it an Omnishambles and cheated to get their athletes in a better place :)

And the booing and throwing things at Tom Pidcock can never be forgotten. Leaves a sour taste in the mouth - like swimming in the Seine.

dom

Don't kid yourself. A UK audience would have done exactly the same had one of their own appeared to have been cheated against.

This thread is excellent proof of that!

In the main audiences were hugely receptive and appreciative of competitors, whatever their nationality.

Of course this was enhanced if the competitors were French. You would expect nothing less.

And the 'omnishambles' was not judged by the hosts.