Main Menu

Paris Olympics

Started by Fishy, July 25, 2024, 12:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

A Bronze and a Silver in the Kayak Cross, could easily have been Gold in both. Typical British chokers.

Bloody crims are now up to 3rd in the Medal table.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: David L on August 05, 2024, 04:09:04 PMThe dot over the i in PARiS 2024 is starting to annoy me (perhaps it is supposed to  :-\ )
Wish you'd not mentioned that. My piss is starting to warm up.

Thenop

Quote from: David L on August 05, 2024, 04:09:04 PMThe dot over the i in PARiS 2024 is starting to annoy me (perhaps it is supposed to  :-\ )

Just be grateful they didn't bring in Apple and rebranded as iParis

Thenop

So tomorrow one more race for the sailor dames, and she only has to finish to pick up the gold: Marit Bouwmeester. 4th Olympics she picks up a medal.

Nickslikk2112

Finally another Gold for Team GB&NI, the women's Team Sprint. Broke the World Record in each of their three rides. Chapeau.

Thenop

Bronze for Sifan Hassan in the women's 5k.
Was to be expected, 2021 she did 1500,5k and 10k and that was bronze/gold/gold
This year it's 5k, 10k and the Marathon. I am really forward to that, she has a real chance to take that one.
Edit: there is a DQ apparently and Hassan moves up to place 2 I think..

Nickslikk2112

And a Gold for Keely Hodgkinson and I was sure she'd choke.

Thenop

That was quite a race from your Hodkinson, fantastic watch!

Nickslikk2112

And a WR for Mondo DuPlantis in the Pole Vault, 6.25m!!!!!

Glad he competes for Sweden and not the USA

Slim

Swedish Pole Vault Guy was amazing, couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I've had an idea for the pole vault. Instead of that bar they have that spans the two upright stands, they could use lasers. You could have 15 or 20 lasers active at any one time, at different heights. The vaulters's performance would be measured by the highest laser beam that didn't break.

That way, no need to mess about with going at different heights.

I think that the Swedish guy actually cleared the bar by 2 or 3cm. Using a series of lasers arranged at 0.5cm intervals, he'd have got credit for that.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

We won gold in a sport I didn't even know existed, the 3-3 basketbal on a halfcourt. Oh well, a win is a win.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Thenop on August 06, 2024, 04:59:39 AMWe won gold in a sport I didn't even know existed, the 3-3 basketbal on a halfcourt. Oh well, a win is a win.
I wouldn't crow about it. Not much more of a sport than Break Dancing...

And Hassan got moved back to Bronze again. As you were.

pxr5

I saw a funny comment the other day. Scrap the Olympics in its current form. Then for the competitors - people are just chosen at random, like a jury service, and you have to compete in whatever comes up with, say, a weeks training. It would be an absolute hoot.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

Gold and Silver medallists Keely Hodgkinson and Mary Moraa congratulate each other after the womens' 800m event; a crop from the BBC's coverage taken 16 seconds after the winner crossed the finish line. I'm really surprised that an athlete would wear a watch in that circumstance; even a lightweight one. As far as I could see, none of the other competitors had one on.

I cropped a better pic of the same watch from her Insta feed:

The horizontal lines on the dial made me think it was an Aqua Terra. I think it's one of these, an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Ultra Light.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-ultra-light-watch-debuts-new-titanium-case-movement/

A snip at $48,600.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on August 06, 2024, 10:09:11 AM
Quote from: Thenop on August 06, 2024, 04:59:39 AMWe won gold in a sport I didn't even know existed, the 3-3 basketbal on a halfcourt. Oh well, a win is a win.
I wouldn't crow about it. Not much more of a sport than Break Dancing...

And Hassan got moved back to Bronze again. As you were.

yeah I noticed, she doesn't care though, she considered it bronze anyway. She went for a medal, actually, for 3 medals. So this fits nicely. 10K and marathon to follow shortly.