Covers of songs by musicians and bands.

Started by Rufus_the_dawg, March 15, 2022, 11:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus_the_dawg

I really love new interpretations of songs by musicians. Rush have some amazing bands cover them. Even Nelly Furtado did a cover of "Time Stand Still"!

Any way I want share this cover with every one. Top link is the cover the bottom one is the original. I hope you enjoy them.

So different but both are brilliant.

pdw1

David L

That's waaaaay too much of too much!

Rufus_the_dawg

I love the fact that bands are covering Rush and this song, I think Opeth would do a better version.

Jonners

Blimey, never seen that

reminds me why I started to dislike DT so much, LaBrie is dreadful

Rufus_the_dawg

anyway less of the DT shit.....this is way more fun

pdw1

Rufus_the_dawg

Rufus_the_dawg

Slim

This has long been a favourite. Best one on Paul's Rock Swings album. Some of the covers on there work well, others don't. This one is simply brilliant.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: Slim on April 02, 2022, 10:14:31 AMThis has long been a favourite. Best one on Paul's Rock Swings album. Some of the covers on there work well, others don't. This one is simply brilliant.

Yes its a great album.

Slim

Possibly the definitive cover version is Jimi's take on All Along The Watchtower, a Bob Dylan song of course.

U2 also covered it in the late '80s as I'm sure everyone remembers. When I heard their version I thought they'd made a schoolboy error by getting the chords wrong, but in fact their version was true to Dylan's original, which only has three chords.

Hendrix improved it massively by selectively substituting a relative minor over the middle major chord in the main three chord riff, so it has four chords.

That said, I like Bob's version a lot as well. Don't much like the U2 one.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on April 07, 2022, 07:47:12 PMPossibly the definitive cover version is Jimi's take on All Along The Watchtower, a Bob Dylan song of course.

Nah, not even the definitive version of that song. That would be the Mahogany Rush version on Tales Of The Unexpected  ;)

Slim

I loved Mahogany Rush back then and bought that album the day it came out - unfortunately to me it's always been their shark-jumping moment. That cover of Norwegian Wood especially - WTF

But I don't think Frank gets the credit he deserves as a player, sure he based his style on Hendrix but he took it a bit further in some ways.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on April 07, 2022, 08:44:44 PMI loved Mahogany Rush back then and bought that album the day it came out - unfortunately to me it's always been their shark-jumping moment. That cover of Norwegian Wood especially - WTF

But I don't think Frank gets the credit he deserves as a player, sure he based his style on Hendrix but he took it a bit further in some ways.
S'funny, I've always liked that Norwegian Wood cover too!

Yes, obviously hugely inspired by Jimi in the early days but (from a non-guitar player perspective) he'd already got pretty jazzy (that album's title track, for instance) and (to my ears) had a cleaner tone (used far less distortion than Hendrix?). Although, without a doubt, Hendrix was the true innovator transforming guitar playing, possibly more than any other. But IMHO Frank is a better vocalist

Shame he's had to pack it all in due to illness. A great player and recording artist and yet, in all the interviews I've ever read/listened to, comes across as a very humble individual.
(There's some great stuff on the later albums)