Main Menu

Songs You Like by Bands You Hate

Started by Slim, June 30, 2024, 12:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Discussion of Coldplay elsewhere made me think of this, which I've always really liked.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Yellow is good, can't stand them otherwise.

Kylie: nothing personal against her, but she churned out nigh-on 40 years of pop pap, then in 2023 released Padam Padam, which is sublimely brilliant and was easily the best mainstream song of the year.

I wouldn't say I "hate" any kind of music or band, for me it's just more bewilderment that acts whose talent is so bang average at best get so disproportionately popular and rewarded. Or in other cases it's just almost total indifference.

An example of the latter for me is Arctic Monkeys: I like precisely one song of theirs, Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair.

There's probably others, I'll have a think.

pxr5

I've never got U2 at all and pretty much dislike every thing they've ever done at their peak. Except their first 2 albums - Boy and October which I love. After those - meh.

Coldplay too - Yellow and Trouble are brilliant, but after that nothing else clicked with me.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

I don't hate any band really, it's just a bit of rhetorical fun. Even UB40. Speaking of which - although not a UB40 song exactly, I loved this.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

The Smiths How Soon is Now.. apart that can't stand them..
From The Land of Honest Men

Matt2112

Higher Ground by UB40 is good; everything else "meh".

dom

1 in 10 and Food for Thought were good tunes by UB40. Should really have packed in after that.

Never really disliked Madonna, all pretty average really but Ray of Light is an amazing song.

Slim

Quote from: Fishy on June 30, 2024, 01:25:15 PMThe Smiths How Soon is Now.. apart that can't stand them..

That makes sense because I loved The Smiths, and that was their first tune that I disliked. I liked the jangly pop sensibilities and the sense of humour, and that had neither. I didn't like that Bo Diddley thing it had going on, either.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on June 30, 2024, 01:58:32 PM
Quote from: Fishy on June 30, 2024, 01:25:15 PMThe Smiths How Soon is Now.. apart that can't stand them..

That makes sense because I loved The Smiths, and that was their first tune that I disliked. I liked the jangly pop sensibilities and the sense of humour, and that had neither. I didn't like that Bo Diddley thing it had going on, either.

It's a notable one for me. My mum and sister used to like the series Charmed. I never watched it, but would occasionally catch the theme song which I always thought sounded fantastic. I had no idea it was by The Smiths. I had no time for them so was amazed it was one of their songs. It didn't trigger any curiosity in me to explore their catalogue as it was kind of alien to my taste but years later I had a lightbulb moment watching a Morrissey live performance on TV. It was the total involvement of the audience which enthralled me. I've liked him ever since. Not a mad follower or fan but a definite now and again listen to mainly his solo work.

Fishy

Quote from: Slim on June 30, 2024, 01:58:32 PM

Think it was the Bo Diddley
thing that caught my attention.. I'm sure there's a vid somewhere of Johnny Marr explaining where he got that  guitar sound from...

Fishy