Main Menu

Peter Collins is Dead

Started by Slim, June 29, 2024, 10:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Peter Collins will forever live in my memory as Mr. Big, sitting at his control centre beside a recording console with his ubiquitous tools: a legal pad, an ashtray and a Monte Cristo No. 2.

Love you B. Farewell.

~ Lerxst

.. from Alex' Insta feed. Kind words considering he was treated like a session player.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Sad news.  Best producer they had.

Nick

Power Windows is peak Rush.

The Picnic Wasp

That huge sound. Those sublime synths. Thank you, sir. RIP

dom

Quote from: Slim on June 29, 2024, 10:50:36 PMPeter Collins will forever live in my memory as Mr. Big, sitting at his control centre beside a recording console with his ubiquitous tools: a legal pad, an ashtray and a Monte Cristo No. 2.

Love you B. Farewell.

~ Lerxst

.. from Alex' Insta feed. Kind words considering he was treated like a session player.

Yes remember reading that in Geddy's book (actually that bit was voiced by Alex himself) and it really surprised me as Alex's guitar work is sensational in Power Windows.

PW was Rush's last great album and Peter Collins legacy is assured due to his contribution.

Slim

Never been sure which is the stronger between Power Windows and Hold Your Fire, but I'd probably say Power Windows.

I think he did overcook the production and the additional instrumentation on those two albums. But they were past their best as composers anyway so perhaps it helped to put a gloss on those songs.

Oddly, Counterparts has the opposite problem, it sounds like a collection of demos in parts.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nick

Just wished they would have re-mixed Signals with him.

David L

Quote from: Nick on June 30, 2024, 12:27:52 PMJust wished they would have re-mixed Signals with him.
Grace Under Pressure too