Main Menu

Glastonbury 2024

Started by pxr5, June 21, 2024, 06:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David L

The National? WTF was that?  About twenty people on stage (one playing a tambourine and I think I spotted a wood block. Just to let you know, guys, they didn't make it through that tuneless noise), no songs and Morrissey without a voice.
Absolute tripe

Matt2112

That reminds me of Arcade Fire from a few years ago...seemingly a dozen folk on stage not doing or sounding like anything worthwhile at all.

The Picnic Wasp

If Bruce's vocals hold up a while longer I'd love Iron Maiden to headline. I think they'd be magnificent but I don't think they're bothered about it.

pxr5

Talking of lots of people on stage, check out this experimental folk music band from Scandinavia - Heilung. Caution: contains nudity (I'm surprised the beeb has not taken it down lol)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0j2chy1/glastonbury-heilung

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Thenop

Quote from: pxr5 on July 01, 2024, 11:39:09 AMTalking of lots of people on stage, check out this experimental folk music band from Scandinavia - Heilung. Caution: contains nudity (I'm surprised the beeb has not taken it down lol)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0j2chy1/glastonbury-heilung

Heilung is great! Seems they finally hit the mainstream, they been playing smaller and left of field festivals for years now. Very intense, you really need to see them in a more intimate setting.

Thenop

I see Arooj Aftab is on there as well, I like her a lot. Can't see any of though, I am not in the UK (and not using a VPN).

captainkurtz

If people enjoy it, it's fine.

I couldn't really find much I wanted to watch, but I'm sure I'd have had a great time if I was there.

PJ Harvey is so far ahead of everyone else, it's not even worth discussing.  At this point, she rivals Bowie, The Beatles, Dylan, anyone, really.  She is that good.

I saw a little bit of Fontaines DC and they looked interesting.

I used to love Coldplay but can't stand them now, but credit where it's due, they looked pretty impressive.

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on July 01, 2024, 11:34:31 AMIf Bruce's vocals hold up a while longer I'd love Iron Maiden to headline. I think they'd be magnificent but I don't think they're bothered about it.

I'd love to see Maiden again. Only saw them once, in 1980 on the British Steel tour. Would be quite something to have seen them only twice, 45 years apart. Having said that, from the present-day band only Steve Harris and Dave Murray were present in the band I saw way back when.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Quote from: Slim on July 01, 2024, 02:27:20 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on July 01, 2024, 11:34:31 AMIf Bruce's vocals hold up a while longer I'd love Iron Maiden to headline. I think they'd be magnificent but I don't think they're bothered about it.

I'd love to see Maiden again. Only saw them once, in 1980 on the British Steel tour. Would be quite something to have seen them only twice, 45 years apart. Having said that, from the present-day band only Steve Harris and Adrian Murray were present in the band I saw way back when.

That's 2 guitarists in one then  ;D

Seen Maiden many times, they never disappoint. We'll in 2006 when they felt the need to play the entire new album: A Matter of Life and Death. Not a bad album but the album and 3 encores was a bit meager. But the latest tours were fantastic.

Matt2112

Yes, seen Maiden a few times since Donny in '88 and I've got to say they were as good last year at Leeds Arena as I've ever seen or heard them.

Metallica have headlined Glasto and they're heavier than Maiden, so why not Maiden? :)

David L

Quote from: Thenop on July 01, 2024, 04:30:46 PM
Quote from: Slim on July 01, 2024, 02:27:20 PM

I'd love to see Maiden again. Only saw them once, in 1980 on the British Steel tour. Would be quite something to have seen them only twice, 45 years apart. Having said that, from the present-day band only Steve Harris and Adrian Murray were present in the band I saw way back when.

That's 2 guitarists in one then  ;D

Seen Maiden many times, they never disappoint. We'll in 2006 when they felt the need to play the entire new album: A Matter of Life and Death. Not a bad album but the album and 3 encores was a bit meager. But the latest tours were fantastic.
But.................Janick Gers  ::)

Slim

Quote from: Thenop on July 01, 2024, 04:30:46 PMThat's 2 guitarists in one then  ;D

Thank-you, I've corrected that now.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

captainkurtz

Quote from: Matt2112 on July 01, 2024, 05:54:33 PMYes, seen Maiden a few times since Donny in '88 and I've got to say they were as good last year at Leeds Arena as I've ever seen or heard them.

Metallica have headlined Glasto and they're heavier than Maiden, so why not Maiden? :)
Metallica have a much wider crossover appeal than Maiden.  There's zero chance of them being asked or accepting even if they were.

I think AC/DC were the most obvious rock band that could have been asked...but I think that ship has sailed...unless they play next year - I'm sure the current stadium tour will run on into next year..

pxr5

Quote from: Thenop on July 01, 2024, 12:35:29 PMI see Arooj Aftab is on there as well, I like her a lot. Can't see any of though, I am not in the UK (and not using a VPN).

You may still be able to download the sets (you might need a VPN still).  Get hold of get_iplayer  https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer

Run get_iplayer and download the set you want with these commands:

Arooj Aftab:
get_iplayer --pid=p0j2p1zz 

Heilung:
get_iplayer --pid=p0j2chy1
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."