IDLES
Bombay Bicycle Club
Bloc Party
James
Squid
Gossip
Fontaines D.C.
Yard Act

Maybe a few others too. I'll grab the decent ones with getiplayer.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

pdw1

Matt2112

I like James out of that lot, saw them at the Piece Hall last year.

Yard Act are West Yorkshire's answer to the Arctic Monkeys and may go very far, but neither are really my thing.

I did an annual "Glasto Roast" thread on the old site, so forgive me if I go into sardonic mode if I comment. :)

captainkurtz

PJ Harvey.

An all time great.

Nickslikk2112

The Beeb have found a HEAVY METAL band playing Glasto! They tick lots of boxes for the good old Beeb.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz473vr2qvro

David L

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on June 28, 2024, 06:43:27 PMThe Beeb have found a HEAVY METAL band playing Glasto! They tick lots of boxes for the good old Beeb.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz473vr2qvro
"challenging gender norms"

yawn

Matt2112

Quote from: captainkurtz on June 21, 2024, 11:20:22 PMPJ Harvey.

An all time great.

Just seen a bit of her set.  I like how minimalist yet theatrical her show is.

She's at the Piece Hall in August and, Hass, will be an absolute perfect fit for that place mate. 👍🏻🙂

Matt2112

Remember how Rush were quite rightly described as a "Three Man Orchestra"?

Why is it that Glasto has so many bands each containing much larger numbers of members yet they make such a piddly little sound..? ::)

Matt2112

Sugababes

Good pop songs in their day.

Unfortunately their performance comes across as very stiff and under-rehearsed.  There's zero chemistry between them, as if they're not particularly fond of each other.

Is that Mutya?  They should just leave her to do Song For Mutya, which is an exceptional pop single.

Credit where it's due: their harmony vocals are still pretty good and Push The Button has a nice zip and verve to it.

Matt2112

Paul Heaton

Inoffensive stuff until you notice his drummer has a Rochdale FC shirt on.

Matt2112

Jesse Ware

Sh!te.

Coldplay

Switched over after about 2 minutes - as usual, big gimmicks compensating for bland, ploddy songs; a pound shop U2.

The Picnic Wasp

I kept wishing all night that Michael Eavis had been kinder to badgers and that Ray Danniels had booked three first class tickets in the Noughties. Two huge opportunities missed.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on June 30, 2024, 12:18:35 AMColdplay

Switched over after about 2 minutes - as usual, big gimmicks compensating for bland, ploddy songs; a pound shop U2.
I would call Coldplay dull, but that's not fair to the word.

Matt2112

Shania Twain ("Legends" spot)

Oh...my...word. :-X

The other year Diana Ross put on a pretty shambolic vocal performance in this slot - a mitigating factor being that she was 78 years old.

Shania Twain is 20 years younger than that and her singing here is considerably worse.  And her patter between songs is toe-curling. Sorry, this really is absolutely awful. :-\

Matt2112

"SZA" - the Sunday headliner.

Well, where to start: on Google actually, as before two days ago neither I or anyone I know - old,  young and in between - had the slightest idea who (it turns out) she is.

I'm not going to waste anyone's time here, least of all mine, describing the atrocious, incoherent auto-tuned vocals, the slooooow, soporific, utterly hook-free, thin-sounding, vapid, looping, identikit R&B/hip-hop drivel that passes for songs, the pitiful lack of charisma, stage presence and star quality etc etc... I'll merely direct you to Twatter/X, where if you put #sza into the search function you'll be treated to some genuinely amusing and withering slam-dunk reviews of how this is easily the worst Glasto headliner in the festival's dubious history; my favourite being:

"SZA is so bad I've just walked out of my own house".

Enjoy. :)