Artificial Intelligence Music

Started by Slim, June 13, 2024, 11:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

This is ear-boggling. Have a listen to some of the music samples. Lyrics, instrumentation, vocals - all generated by AI.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

It is and it is scary and should be useless. I just read a quote from someone saying:
want AI to do my laundry and dishes so that I can do art and writing, not for AI to do my art and writing so that I can do my laundry and dishes.

Slim

What I'd really like is to be able to feed it chords - let's say I want two bars of CMaj7, then a bar of B half diminished then E7 .. and so on. Just tell it what I want in English like that. Ask it to make it sound like a jazz piano quartet but leave space for a guitar.

Then when it comes back with something you could say "good, but make the verse a bit more punchy and the whole thing a bit faster. Make it swing a bit more in the chorus".

It must be possible. Would be a fantastic compositional tool. Maybe it's already available. Actually Band in a Box can do that - sort of - but you can't give it instructions in natural English.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

I love Rick Beato's videos. As someone who struggled with Cubase on my Atari, I am fascinated by successful manipulation and creation of music by machines. The weak individual in me loves the concept of AI being able to produce fresh music from my library of addiction. Imagine a new version of Circumstances which isn't a cover but instead new material with all those subtle variations and regularities, with a thick layer of young Geddy on top. However, the spiritual part of my makeup (which I refuse to let go of) is quite frightened by this. It does shout rather than whisper end-times to me. The prophesied period where nothing can be guaranteed as real, where truth is distorted beyond imagination, and where communication becomes almost impossible in a sea of babble. If it was controllable and measurable beyond reproach then it would be fine but unfortunately I believe it's a dangerous slippery slope to some disaster.

Slim

Picnic, your glass is always half empty.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Thenop