Euros Footy Score Predictor

Started by Fishy, June 03, 2024, 05:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dom

Quote from: Fishy on June 21, 2024, 10:02:32 PMHolland should have won., legitimate goal chalked off .. nonsense

Well it should have been a goal agreed but that wouldn't have necessarily led to an NL win. France  would have been less risk averse and more likely to score.

Thenop

Bit of shame yes, keeper could have never had that ball regardless where Dumfries was. But that's the game apparently these days.

Slim

For today's fixtures I've picked Czech Republic, Portugal and Belgium to win. 1-0, 2-1, 2-0 respectively.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Yep same teams to win as slim.. different scores.  Yesterday was nil points..
From The Land of Honest Men

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Thenop on June 22, 2024, 05:53:18 AMBit of shame yes, keeper could have never had that ball regardless where Dumfries was. But that's the game apparently these days.

I miss your Total Football.

dom

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on June 22, 2024, 01:18:23 PM
Quote from: Thenop on June 22, 2024, 05:53:18 AMBit of shame yes, keeper could have never had that ball regardless where Dumfries was. But that's the game apparently these days.

If Cruyff had been able to play in the 78 World Cup they would have been World Champions! What a team they had in the 70s

Slim

I didn't get to watch England in a World Cup between the ages of 10 and 22. So like most people I picked an alternative side to support in '74 and '78, and it was Holland.

For this essentially historical reason, I wanted the Dutch to beat Spain in the 2010 World Cup Final. And yet they took such a cynical, ugly attitude into that game that I actually switched allegiance after the first 20 minutes, and I cheered when Iniesta got that goal at the last gasp.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Quote from: dom on June 22, 2024, 01:28:01 PM

If Cruyff had been able to play in the 78 World Cup they would have been World Champions! What a team they had in the 70s

He could have played if he really wanted to. Cruyff was a phenomenal player but not always the nicest person. Or the most business savvy.

Also: only Argentina would have won that 78 tournament,regardless. And that had nothing to do with football.

Thenop

Germany did it quite well under Low.

Thenop

Quote from: Slim on June 22, 2024, 01:38:44 PMI didn't get to watch England in a World Cup between the ages of 10 and 22. So like most people I picked an alternative side to support in '74 and '78, and it was Holland.

For this essentially historical reason, I wanted the Dutch to beat Spain in the 2010 World Cup Final. And yet they took such a cynical, ugly attitude into that game that I actually switched allegiance after the first 20 minutes, and I cheered when Iniesta got that goal at the last gasp.

I have a Nigel de Jong jersey ;D
(my surname being the same)

He is now technical director of the Dutch football association.

Slim

Well - I'm not going to pretend I wanted Scotland to win, but that was a very tense game. I definitely think Scotland should have had a pen. But Hungary seemed to me to dominate them in the second half and they were much better at keeping the ball to themselves.

Either way - what a story, eh?
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

The usual Scotland fuck up... hardly any attempts on goal..not sure it was a penalty really..  was either going to be 0-0 or Hungary 1-0 after the first half...
From The Land of Honest Men

dom

Tough to lose so late in the game but the quality is not quite there. And if Scotland couldn't qualify to the knock out stages in the past when the likes of Dalglish or Strachan, McQueen, Souness etc etc were playing, what chance now? Just not creating that standard of footballer anymore. Similar to the Republic of Ireland

Thenop

Whoever get the Swiss in the 8th finals is in for a tough job.

Slim

Wahey, I'm up to second place. Strong performance on that last round.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan