Tinnitus

Started by Slim, March 11, 2022, 12:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I think I've got tinnitus. It's subtle, but there's an ever-present faint electronic hissing sound in both ears. I can't even remember when it started; I went to a gig a couple of weeks ago and I think I knew I had it then, but I forgot about it and didn't take ear plugs.

It's very like the slight ringing in your ears that persisted a couple of days after a Motorhead gig.

It's not really distracting, it doesn't prevent me from sleeping, I'm not suffering any hearing loss and I can hear conversations as normal without any trouble. I'm most aware of it in the morning when I wake up. Most of the time I'm not consciously aware of it; it's just there like the sound from my computer fan, or air-conditioning, or the humming of a fridge.

From what my Google research tells me there's a chance it will go away, but I have a feeling it won't. I'll probably never hear complete silence again. But I'll be careful not to listen to music at excess volumes.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on March 11, 2022, 12:09:28 PMI think I've got tinnitus. It's subtle, but there's an ever-present faint electronic hissing sound in both ears. I can't even remember when it started; I went to a gig a couple of weeks ago and I think I knew I had it then, but I forgot about it and didn't take ear plugs.

It's very like the slight ringing in your ears that persisted a couple of days after a Motorhead gig.

It's not really distracting, it doesn't prevent me from sleeping, I'm not suffering any hearing loss and I can hear conversations as normal without any trouble. I'm most aware of it in the morning when I wake up. Most of the time I'm not consciously aware of it; it's just there like the sound from my computer fan, or air-conditioning, or the humming of a fridge.

From what my Google research tells me there's a chance it will go away, but I have a feeling it won't. I'll probably never hear complete silence again. But I'll be careful not to listen to music at excess volumes.
Sorry to hear that. I hope it's only temporary.

I've tried ear plugs at gigs but they were rubbish, I just didn't like what they did to the sound. Maybe I should've persevered. I'm careful at home to not listen to music at high volumes, especially as most of my listening is on headphones.

Nick

Had high pitched tinnitus for many many years. Never goes, I just put up with it, it's a high pitched electronic sound, like the sound an old telly would make on switching off.I actually think its from my brain rather than my ears.

Tried reverse pitch settings on my headphones/ zinc tablets etc but nothing works. I can put up with it but I always question what I am missing from my hearing, but hearing tests have been ok. One of the worst aspects I find is that if I am in a crowd of loud talkers the sound gets jumbled and I struggle to pick up individual conversation.

I blame it on Loud gigs.

Fishy

My wife reckons her's started after a Rush show.... Doesn't bother her too much just a constant hum sometimes when there's no other noise...
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

Quote from: Nick on March 11, 2022, 01:48:07 PMHad high pitched tinnitus for many many years. Never goes, I just put up with it, it's a high pitched electronic sound, like the sound an old telly would make on switching off.

That's it exactly! Sorry to hear. Mine is not bothering me at all at the moment, in fact there's something almost comforting about it, hard to explain.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

captainkurtz

I've worn earplugs at select gigs since R30.  The volume of those shows up until Glasgow was stupid. 

Whoever said 'if it's too loud, you're too old' deserves a slap.

I have a mild ringing too.  I sleep with foam earplugs which subconsciously help.

Rufus_the_dawg

me too Cardiacs gig.

stress does not help, Slim you have been busy doing this web site? Plenty of sleep and rest does help, I hardly listen to my stereo because that can set if off and if I do its at low volumes. One off loud banging noises can set if off like a hammer on a nail, also I have noticed when I have exercised a lot and am knackered the next day is bad but that could be the sound of gun explosion of the squash ball been hit hard.

I have also noticed it can go away if I am careful, it can get worse if you worry about it, I listen to the radio so I don't have to hear my ears ringing.

Nickslikk2112

I've got a constant high pitched sound in my ears. Had it years. When I worked at a Chemical Works, we got an annual medical, the company invested in a high tech hearing testing booth. The results of my test were - INDUSTRIAL DEAFNESS. The Doctor couldn't fathom out why an office worker had INDUSTRIAL DEAFNESS.

I didn't mention about sticking my head in Motorhead's bass bins on the Bomber tour...

David L

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on March 11, 2022, 09:27:16 PMI've got a constant high pitched sound in my ears. Had it years. When I worked at a Chemical Works, we got an annual medical, the company invested in a high tech hearing testing booth. The results of my test were - INDUSTRIAL DEAFNESS. The Doctor couldn't fathom out why an office worker had INDUSTRIAL DEAFNESS.

I didn't mention about sticking my head in Motorhead's bass bins on the Bomber tour...
Stone Deaf Forever

Slim

So I was at a BSP gig last night, I took earplugs but I was slightly concerned to find that they didn't diminish the volume very much once I'd put them in. They did seem to attenuate some of the higher frequencies.

My ears are hissing a bit now but I hope that will did down a bit over the next 24 hrs.

I do have more powerful earplugs, the ones I used to use for shooting years ago. But they would have cut out a lot of the sound. They actually make you virtually deaf for most intents and purposes.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: Slim on April 14, 2022, 11:09:49 AMSo I was at a BSP gig last night, I took earplugs but I was slightly concerned to find that they didn't diminish the volume very much once I'd put them in. They did seem to attenuate some of the higher frequencies.

My ears are hissing a bit now but I hope that will did down a bit over the next 24 hrs.

I do have more powerful earplugs, the ones I used to use for shooting years ago. But they would have cut out a lot of the sound. They actually make you virtually deaf more most intents and purposes.

Oh dear, lets hope it dies down soon. your experience puts me off going to gigs.

Matt2112

I certainly have tinnitus but generally only notice it when, say, I'm on a walk with the dog and I stop to take in the view in a quiet area. But even then it's not really intrusive.

I wear ear plugs when practising with the band but not during our occasional gigs. The hissing is obviously louder for a while after I've spent a couple of hours with a 4x12 right behind me, a wedge monitor in front of me and a large drum kit just to my left. And a screaming crowd, of course. ;) ;D

Slim

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on April 14, 2022, 08:12:42 PMOh dear, lets hope it dies down soon. your experience puts me off going to gigs.

It has actually died down to the usual level again, so perhaps the earplugs did help. However I will try a slightly more powerful pair next time.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: Slim on April 17, 2022, 10:19:07 PM
Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on April 14, 2022, 08:12:42 PMOh dear, lets hope it dies down soon. your experience puts me off going to gigs.

It has actually died down to the usual level again, so perhaps the earplugs did help. However I will try a slightly more powerful pair next time.

It would be worth it.

The Letter R

My wife has had tinnitus for a few years now. She has issues in crowded situations where a lot of conversations are going on. She doesn't do that many gigs anymore but really enjoys live music so she has to be careful.
There have been some recent studies linking covid and the vaccines with increased numbers of people getting tinnitus or making it worse.
Unfortunately there is no cure although as someone else mentioned stress can make it worse.