Main Menu

Porcupine Tree

Started by pxr5, March 09, 2022, 08:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on December 11, 2023, 08:28:56 PMI haven't ordered it yet but listened to the start on Spotify last night. Sounds really good.
Yes, the perfect opening track too.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: pxr5 on December 12, 2023, 12:15:38 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on December 11, 2023, 08:28:56 PMI haven't ordered it yet but listened to the start on Spotify last night. Sounds really good.
Yes, the perfect opening track too.

I liked the early shout out to the audience. Geddy's usually about three songs in before his hello.

Thenop

Finally got round to opening the box, looks great but there's seamsplits everywhere, they did not really think this through when transporting. Also: 3 out of 4 discs are warped. haven't listened yet, I doubt it has any effect on the sound and if I keep it properly stored and ans stuff it with some cardbord it'll straighten itself out on a month or 2.

David L

Quote from: Thenop on December 19, 2023, 09:35:43 AMFinally got round to opening the box, looks great but there's seamsplits everywhere, they did not really think this through when transporting. Also: 3 out of 4 discs are warped. haven't listened yet, I doubt it has any effect on the sound and if I keep it properly stored and ans stuff it with some cardbord it'll straighten itself out on a month or 2.
Have you ever been able to straighten out a warped record? If so, I'd like to know you're method

Thenop

Quote from: David L on December 19, 2023, 10:46:38 AM
Quote from: Thenop on December 19, 2023, 09:35:43 AMFinally got round to opening the box, looks great but there's seamsplits everywhere, they did not really think this through when transporting. Also: 3 out of 4 discs are warped. haven't listened yet, I doubt it has any effect on the sound and if I keep it properly stored and ans stuff it with some cardbord it'll straighten itself out on a month or 2.
Have you ever been able to straighten out a warped record? If so, I'd like to know you're method

Depends, if it's not too bad I put it in the cupboard between the alther (straight) records, leave it there for a while and it usually turns out OK. Itf it is too bad, there are only 2 remedies:
- Return it (Have done so on some occasions)
- Find someone (usually a store) that has a flattener. They do it for a few euro. Mild heat is applied and then bend back into shape. It works, but method 1 is always preferred.

Have to say though, with a decent record player, you don't really hear it. It's more a visual imperfection that can be annoying if you know it.

Much worse is an off center pressed LP though, those are unlistenable.

David L

Quote from: Thenop on December 19, 2023, 10:55:22 AM
Quote from: David L on December 19, 2023, 10:46:38 AM

Depends, if it's not too bad I put it in the cupboard between the alther (straight) records, leave it there for a while and it usually turns out OK. Itf it is too bad, there are only 2 remedies:
- Return it (Have done so on some occasions)
- Find someone (usually a store) that has a flattener. They do it for a few euro. Mild heat is applied and then bend back into shape. It works, but method 1 is always preferred.

Have to say though, with a decent record player, you don't really hear it. It's more a visual imperfection that can be annoying if you know it.

Much worse is an off center pressed LP though, those are unlistenable.
Well, I have to say, I'm surprised. Applying heat should work but never had too much success with applying weight etc, especially with dish warps.
Mild warping usually cannot be heard. Of course, phono stages/amps have a low frequency cut-off setting to ensure more extreme warps do not find their way to the speakers.
There are various methods for fixing off-centre LPs on the web