Main Menu

Porcupine Tree

Started by pxr5, March 09, 2022, 08:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonners

I love that Ali, thanks for sharing, and really glad you turned up late!

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: Ali on April 07, 2022, 09:37:40 PMMet Steven at Blackwell's in Manchester on Tuesday.

I was a bit late getting there and it looked like I'd missed out as the shop was locked - I caught the eye of the (apparently) only staff member on the ground floor, indicating 'what's happened to the book signing?'

As I did, I noticed SW walking downstairs with his coat on ready to leave. Fair play to the fella,he asked the staff to open up and we had a good 15 minute natter which included XTC, returning to playing live, the awful Portuguese weather in March, Van Der Graaf Generator, the lack of Man City fans (he was non-commital, 'not wishing to be drawn into football politics' 😉), the sad demise of Anathema, the importance of music to people during the lockdowns and the joy of getting cashback when paying with an AMEX card 😂

He also very kindly signed the selection of PT/SW vinyl sleeves I'd brought (making sure they were given enough time to 'dry'), a copy of his new book and thanked me for making the effort of travelling from Liverpool 😎

Thanked him kindly and after a fist-pump, I was off back down the M62 after a very enjoyable, worthwhile  whistle stop visit to Mancunia 👌

Top guy is our Steven 👏

Ok I have waited all day. What was said about XTC and VDGG?

pxr5

Ali, did you get a selfie with him too?  :)
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Ali

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on April 08, 2022, 05:24:13 PM
Quote from: Ali on April 07, 2022, 09:37:40 PMMet Steven at Blackwell's in Manchester on Tuesday.

I was a bit late getting there and it looked like I'd missed out as the shop was locked - I caught the eye of the (apparently) only staff member on the ground floor, indicating 'what's happened to the book signing?'

As I did, I noticed SW walking downstairs with his coat on ready to leave. Fair play to the fella,he asked the staff to open up and we had a good 15 minute natter which included XTC, returning to playing live, the awful Portuguese weather in March, Van Der Graaf Generator, the lack of Man City fans (he was non-commital, 'not wishing to be drawn into football politics' 😉), the sad demise of Anathema, the importance of music to people during the lockdowns and the joy of getting cashback when paying with an AMEX card 😂

He also very kindly signed the selection of PT/SW vinyl sleeves I'd brought (making sure they were given enough time to 'dry'), a copy of his new book and thanked me for making the effort of travelling from Liverpool 😎

Thanked him kindly and after a fist-pump, I was off back down the M62 after a very enjoyable, worthwhile  whistle stop visit to Mancunia 👌

Top guy is our Steven 👏

Ok I have waited all day. What was said about XTC and VDGG?

Ok then....XTC: it was mainly down to our mutual appreciation of Swindon's finest (apart from Diana Dors, obviously 😂). I told him about seeing EXTC recently, how great they were and the fact they were playing songs from the whole back catalogue, not just those (up to English Settlement) that Terry Chambers had played drums on.

Regarding VdGG, having seen them for the first time recently, I mentioned that they're not an easy listen (patently!) and that the gig was unique in that there was no merch available, with the stage set being akin to a school concert with a plain white sheet draped behind the band. Steven said 'so it was all about the music then?' - very true and a little ironic as I'd just paid 25 quid for his book 😁

He also mentioned he hadn't seen Peter Hammill for ages and what a lovely chap he is 👍

He didn't appear to be aware that Anathema are no more, which I found a tad surprising considering he's worked with them previously...or maybe, he's not quite the music obsessive many of the rest of us are 😁

Ali

Quote from: pxr5 on April 08, 2022, 07:03:21 PMAli, did you get a selfie with him too?  :)

I did indeed, I'll punish you all with it at a later date 😉

Pudders

Louise and I saw him yesterday in Oxford. Really good afternoon with an 'In Conversation' section then Q&A from the floor (he even managed to answer my somewhat rambling question, which was jolly nice of him). There were well over 100 folk there, maybe 150, and when it was announced that the book signing would take place up two long flights of stairs we thought we would have to miss out as that would be beyond Lou's capabilities. Steven however was happy to have a quick chat, sign some bits and pieces and have a couple of photos with us before heading up. Top chap indeed!

PS: John Mitchell wandered up while Steven was talking to us, a local resident I presume?

pxr5

Porcupine Tree - Closure / Continuation Fan Q&A

Rufus_the_dawg

Why is Colin Edwin not in the band?

pdw1

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on April 15, 2022, 03:11:30 AMWhy is Colin Edwin not in the band?
He has been cancelled; never existed and if the Osbourne route is taken his bass parts will be re-recorded and never heard again.

pxr5

Steven Wilson's Top 100 Songs: Spotify Playlist

Quite a varied mix and very interesting to see Bauhaus and Aphrodite's Child in the top 10.

https://www.reddit.com/r/porcupinetree/comments/u70l46/stevens_top_100_songs_spotify_playlist/

Pudders

Quote from: pxr5 on April 19, 2022, 12:36:19 PMSteven Wilson's Top 100 Songs: Spotify Playlist

Quite a varied mix and very interesting to see Bauhaus and Aphrodite's Child in the top 10.

https://www.reddit.com/r/porcupinetree/comments/u70l46/stevens_top_100_songs_spotify_playlist/

Having listened to him last week in Oxford I found myself exploring some of the bands/artists he mentioned, like The Cocteau Twins and Aphex Twin. Has always dismissed the former as Alt bollox and never heard the latter before!

pdw1

New touring guitarist and bass player announced

PORCUPINE TREE has announced the addition of guitarist Randy McStine (MCSTINE & MINNEMANN, LO-FI RESISTANCE) and bassist Nate Navarro (DEVIN TOWNSEND) to its touring lineup.
https://blabbermouth.net/news/porcupine-tree-adds-guitarist-and-bassist-to-2022-touring-lineup

Nick

pxr5

In Absentia full album cover - very well done indeed:

https://linktr.ee/collablightintoearth

Matt2112

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on March 13, 2022, 02:37:03 PM
Quote from: Slim on March 10, 2022, 02:53:14 PMI love Radiohead, but I don't like a lot of PT. Just In Absentia really, and only about half of that.

Love PT and tried to like RH and have most of their albums

RH are winey, boring and up their own arse and their fanboys annoy me. Members of the press concentrate on them to much instead of other leftfield bands. Anathema's melodies are so much better without loosing the experimentation.

Having said that though, if you are interested in alternative music surely you would explore both bands output.

I can take Radiohead in small doses; I've "tried" PT and SW but nothing has ever prompted me to investigate further.

All the Emperor's New Clothes, if you ask me.