Main Menu

Porcupine Tree

Started by pxr5, March 09, 2022, 08:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

2 singles have now been released from the new album - Closure/Continuation schedule for release 22 June 22.

I've got the album pre-ordered, but I'm not keen on these single releases (much like The Future Bites) as when the album eventually appears half of it will be out already. I like to hear an album as a whole - to get the context. Anyway the 2 singles so far:

Harridan

Of the New Day

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nick

I've really enjoyed both singles so far, they are in album order as well.

Neillwith2Ls

I was quite enthusiastic about Harridan when it came out, but I think the new single wipes the floor with it and is a gorgeous little song; SW at his best. I can hear bits of Stupid Dream, Deadwing and of course The Incident in it. Quite looking forward to the album now, when is it out?

Nick

Quote from: Neillwith2Ls on March 09, 2022, 08:26:17 PMI was quite enthusiastic about Harridan when it came out, but I think the new single wipes the floor with it and is a gorgeous little song; SW at his best. I can hear bits of Stupid Dream, Deadwing and of course The Incident in it. Quite looking forward to the album now, when is it out?

June

Rufus_the_dawg

Now where were we on TNMS

If you like Radiohead surely you should like PT?

Slim

I love Radiohead, but I don't like a lot of PT. Just In Absentia really, and only about half of that.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pdw1

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on March 10, 2022, 02:46:21 PMNow where were we on TNMS

If you like Radiohead surely you should like PT?
Doubt it. These 2 bands work in very different music

dom

David L

Thanks for that piece, dom. Didn't know much about the split.

Harridan reminds me of 'Raven' material and I'm not sure the other one has anything to offer (....me anyway)

Both a bit meh

Pudders

I quite like what I've heard of the album...

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: Slim on March 10, 2022, 02:53:14 PMI love Radiohead, but I don't like a lot of PT. Just In Absentia really, and only about half of that.

Love PT and tried to like RH and have most of their albums

RH are winey, boring and up their own arse and their fanboys annoy me. Members of the press concentrate on them to much instead of other leftfield bands. Anathema's melodies are so much better without loosing the experimentation.

Having said that though, if you are interested in alternative music surely you would explore both bands output.

Rufus_the_dawg

Thom with some interesting posters behind him, IQ Marillion Iron maiden

pxr5

"Steven Wilson takes us on a journey from Aardvark and Abba to Zzebra and ZZ Top.". The 2 interviewers are past presenters of OGWT: Mark Ellen and David Hepworth - I really wish the OGWT was still on:

Ali

Met Steven at Blackwell's in Manchester on Tuesday.

I was a bit late getting there and it looked like I'd missed out as the shop was locked - I caught the eye of the (apparently) only staff member on the ground floor, indicating 'what's happened to the book signing?'

As I did, I noticed SW walking downstairs with his coat on ready to leave. Fair play to the fella,he asked the staff to open up and we had a good 15 minute natter which included XTC, returning to playing live, the awful Portuguese weather in March, Van Der Graaf Generator, the lack of Man City fans (he was non-commital, 'not wishing to be drawn into football politics' 😉), the sad demise of Anathema, the importance of music to people during the lockdowns and the joy of getting cashback when paying with an AMEX card 😂

He also very kindly signed the selection of PT/SW vinyl sleeves I'd brought (making sure they were given enough time to 'dry'), a copy of his new book and thanked me for making the effort of travelling from Liverpool 😎

Thanked him kindly and after a fist-pump, I was off back down the M62 after a very enjoyable, worthwhile  whistle stop visit to Mancunia 👌

Top guy is our Steven 👏

pxr5

Ali, nice one. I'm looking forward to getting his new book.