Main Menu

Eurovision 2024

Started by Thenop, February 29, 2024, 06:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenop

Right, the Dutch entry is known, and it's either hilarious or horrendous. Meaning he will either get 0 points or takes them all.
I am no Eurovision fan at all, but I do like it when artists at least try to use some of their own language. I know it's a disadvantage to some, but this character actually did just that and made it superDutch while making it more Eurovision than I thought would be possible. Put on the subtitles to sort of understand what he is doing, wth a lot of wordplay, mixing Dutch with all sorts of other languages to make rhymes.
To top it off, he has various well known Dutch artists cameo-ing in the video, but the real kicker is this: it's really a song about his father that passed away.

Oh well, go bold or go home I guess.

Slim

Is that Rudolf Schenker making a guest appearance at 1:43? ???

Just reading the lyric translation and in conjunction with the caricature in the video, I can't help thinking that it's powerfully Euro-sceptic, at least superficially.

My favourite ever Eurovision entry was the Dutch 1975 winner. That had really clever harmony and proper chord changes. This one is painfully simple.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Quote from: Slim on March 01, 2024, 01:54:26 PMIs that Rudolf Schenker making a guest appearance at 1:43? ???

Just reading the lyric translation and in conjunction with the caricature in the video, I can't help thinking that it's powerfully Euro-sceptic, at least superficially.

My favourite ever Eurovision entry was the Dutch 1975 winner. That had really clever harmony and proper chord changes. This one is painfully simple.

It's the exact opposite of Euro sceptic. In fact, it has very little to do with Europe even though the word is everywhere. He basically sings about getting away from everything to avoid the pain of the loss of his father. That's probably difficult to capture in a translation.

I am not a fan of the music, but I find it very cleverly constructed and has all the elements Dutch dance music has been known for the past 30 years. I think it'll be a big success, if not in the competition than at least in the charts.

Matt2112

Well, that sort of cheesy Eurodance stuff takes me back about 30 years; I was expecting to hear the lady from 2Unlimited pipe up at any time in that. :)

R6GYY

Looks and sounds like a Fast Show spoof was my initial reaction  8)