Bought a book recently?

Started by Slim, March 07, 2022, 10:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Quote from: Slim on January 16, 2023, 02:36:32 PMI've just started The Man With The Golden Gun, one of the Fleming 007 novels of course and a book that I read in my teens. This was the last novel that Fleming wrote before his death in 1964. He only got as far as the first draft.

I finished this in about a week, then I started a Reacher novel which I've just finished today. That must certainly be the only time I've ever read two novels in the space of a month.

I've never been much of a reader of novels. Intervals of several years have often gone by when I haven't read one. But cycling and audiobooks have kindled (pun not intended) a more regular interest in them.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

R6GYY

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Haven't started the Ferguson tome yet but I did start the next Reacher novel, The Hard Way. Good one, quite distinctive and more of a detective story than usual. About half-way through, all of it consumed on a Kindle rather than an audiobook. I could only do that while on holiday.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Just finished 'Rock and Roll Gentleman'. The story of  Dr. Feelgood's Lee Brilleaux. Good read

dom

I'm currently reading "How Britain Broke the World" by Arthur Snell

it looks back over the last 25 years of Britain's International Affairs from Kosovo to Iraq, Afganistan, Libya through to Brexit and Ukraine.

He is perhaps giving the UK more importance than it is due but so far its an interesting read

I've just realised how similar the title is to Slim's tome above (bar the verb) - be interesting to compare the conclusions the respective authors deliver

Slim

That's very interesting - in all of those various campaigns that you mention save Brexit and possibly Ukraine, Britain has been a junior partner at most - so I see quite a lot of artistic licence in the title.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Red Lenses

Rattled through 4 books whilst on holiday in Lanzarote this past week....
William McIlvanney's Laidlaw Trilogy : -
Laidlaw
The Papers of Tony Veitch
Strange Loyalties

and

Blood Feud by Stewart Clyde (UKs answer to Mitch Rapp)

all excellent reads !!

dom

Reading Pete Way's autobiography "A Fast Ride Out of Here".  Highly entertaining. Not much on music composition, plenty on the extracurricular.

He enjoyed his time when UFO toured with Rush and speaks very fondly of "Glee".

He also claims that there was so much dry ice at the end of some of the Rush shows that he and Schenker would finish the set for them invisible to the crowd!. I'm sure that can't be true!

"Their road crew would hand us their guitars and the two of us would bash out the last crescendo of notes from the side of the stage, while Geddy and Alex buggered off back to their dressing room"

David L

Quote from: dom on May 09, 2023, 07:34:54 PMReading Pete Way's autobiography "A Fast Ride Out of Here".  Highly entertaining. Not much on music composition, plenty on the extracurricular.

He enjoyed his time when UFO toured with Rush and speaks very fondly of "Glee".

He also claims that there was so much dry ice at the end of some of the Rush shows that he and Schenker would finish the set for them invisible to the crowd!. I'm sure that can't be true!

"Their road crew would hand us their guitars and the two of us would bash out the last crescendo of notes from the side of the stage, while Geddy and Alex buggered off back to their dressing room"
I read that a number of years ago and can't remember that bit! Seems incredible, doesn't it?   :-\

Slim

I went to quite a few Rush gigs in the '70s and early '80s, and I can say for certain that none of them ended with a cloud of dry ice. Actually when the old CO2 was deployed (only during Xanadu I think) it would tend to cling to the stage. At Newcastle City Hall it used to flow off the front of the stage like a waterfall.

Does Pete mention meeting me at Manchester Airport in 2006, or haven't you got that far yet?
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

He does talk about the dry ice during Xanadu and how they used to crawl around the stage un-noticed. Geddy confirms that once he found a pair of slippers nailed by his bass pedals 😁

Still in the heady days of the 70s at the moment. Can't wait to read about that encounter!

Thenop

I have decided need to read more English books. I ran across 3 unknown words in the Wordle thread and even though I work at a multinational, read, speak & write English all day, I feel the need to expand my vocabulary.

First one to read (and bought): Colson Whitehead's The Intuitionist.

pdw1

Quote from: Thenop on May 21, 2023, 10:43:29 AMI have decided need to read more English books. I ran across 3 unknown words in the Wordle thread and even though I work at a multinational, read, speak & write English all day, I feel the need to expand my vocabulary.

What three words? ;)

Thenop

Quote from: pdw1 on May 21, 2023, 07:31:04 PM
Quote from: Thenop on May 21, 2023, 10:43:29 AMI have decided need to read more English books. I ran across 3 unknown words in the Wordle thread and even though I work at a multinational, read, speak & write English all day, I feel the need to expand my vocabulary.

What three words? ;)

Over the course of the past weeks that is. Today's word for example. I cannot name it of course, I'd be banned for all times...
Just kidding.
As an aside, whenever possible I try to read books in the native language. 90% of the translations, however well intended, take away a lot from the original.