Bought a book recently?

Started by Slim, March 07, 2022, 10:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Lenses

Have got Chris Carter's Robert Hunter books downloaded onto my Kindle for this month holiday reads, The Crucifix Killer from 2009 will be up first.

dom

Quote from: dom on May 09, 2023, 10:33:56 PMHe does talk about the dry ice during Xanadu and how they used to crawl around the stage un-noticed. Geddy confirms that once he found a pair of slippers nailed by his bass pedals 😁

Still in the heady days of the 70s at the moment. Can't wait to read about that encounter!

No mention of your encounter unfortunately Slim.

Quite a sobering read though. He was married 6 times and 2 of his partners died from overdosing. One was an American doctor who used to write prescriptions to ensure they had enough morphine etc to keep them both going.

He wrote the autobiography about 5 years before his death.

He talked about a biographical album he was putting together "Walking on the Edge" - was it ever released does anyone know?

His cause of death was not given as prostrate cancer or cardiac arrest or even overdose, as could easily have been the case, but from a serious accident that occured 2 months before he died. Does anyone know what that was?

Slim

Quote from: dom on June 05, 2023, 07:57:22 PM
Quote from: dom on May 09, 2023, 10:33:56 PMHe does talk about the dry ice during Xanadu and how they used to crawl around the stage un-noticed. Geddy confirms that once he found a pair of slippers nailed by his bass pedals 😁

Still in the heady days of the 70s at the moment. Can't wait to read about that encounter!

No mention of your encounter unfortunately Slim.

Quite a sobering read though. He was married 6 times and 2 of his partners died from overdosing. One was an American doctor who used to write prescriptions to ensure they had enough morphine etc to keep them both going.

He wrote the autobiography about 5 years before his death.

He talked about a biographical album he was putting together "Walking on the Edge" - was it ever released does anyone know?

His cause of death was not given as prostrate cancer or cardiac arrest or even overdose, as could easily have been the case, but from a serious accident that occured 2 months before he died. Does anyone know what that was?

I haven't listened to this yet but it's linked from Pete's FB page as "Jenny Way talks about Pete's accident"

https://www.americanheartbreak.com/rnrgeekwp/jenny-way-wife-of-the-late-great-pete-way/

27 min audio recording.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Thanks! Will have a listen

Jenny was the survivor

Pete was a bit like Henry VIII but his time line goes...

Divorced, divorced, died, died, divorced, survived!

David L

Quote from: dom on June 05, 2023, 10:43:46 PMThanks! Will have a listen

Jenny was the survivor

Pete was a bit like Henry VIII but his time line goes...

Divorced, divorced, died, died, divorced, survived!
Loved a bit of wedding cake, did Pete

dom

Listened to it last night Slim - thanks for that.

He fell down the stairs at home, believe it or not.  The drug abuse over the years really must have taken their toll.  He broke all his ribs and couldn't stop bleeding following the fall and his body had to be packed up with gauze etc to stop the flow. Think he had something like 10 transfusions during the 2 months in hospital. Years of needle use almost certainly caused that.

He had recovered somewhat towards the end and there was talk of him returning home but he passed before that happened.

Jenny also mentioned that the album he spoke about in the autobiography was done and dusted.  Not sure why it hasn't been released.

Slim

Certainly not a book I bought recently, but last night I idly picked up a paperback I bought in 1990; a collection of Philip K Dick short stories. I picked one at random, Explorers We.

Really quite an unsettling little read, very similar in approach to a Twilight Zone story. Even more unsettling was the thought that I last read it 33 years ago. I did partly remember it.

The collection is titled I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon after one of the longer stories.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

captainkurtz

Geezer Butlers autobiography...

pdw1

Quote from: captainkurtz on June 12, 2023, 08:15:49 PMGeezer Butlers autobiography...
any good?
Listened to him on Loose Ends with Clive Anderson. He was a laugh and said his wife and Sharon don't get on and so he never talks to Ozzy.

David L

Quote from: captainkurtz on June 12, 2023, 08:15:49 PMGeezer Butlers autobiography...
Does it include this embarrassing episode?

"The thing with Geezer Butler, I think they were drinking one night and I think Geezer had some knife or something, and he flashed it at Malcolm," he began. He continued: "Malcolm took it off – there's a trick of getting knives away from people, so Malcolm immediately did that and he said, 'What are you gonna do now? - Angus Young
;D

Slim

Intrigued by this post by Dom I had a look at a few Slow Horses clips on YouTube. Ultimately though I decided to consume it in audiobook form; the original novel of course. I listened to the first couple of hours today while out on a bike.

It's about a department of the Secret Service where failed or disgraced agents go to serve out their careers doing menial work, in a sort of exile. I was reminded of Callan in some ways - it has the same gritty cynicism and wilful lack of glamour. I loved this description of Slough House, where it's based:

The yellows and greys that dominate the colour scheme aren't what they first appear .. the yellow isn't yellow at all, but white exhausted by stale breath and tobacco, by pot-noodle fumes and overcoats left to dry on radiators
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

I'm currently reading The Shrinking Man by Richard Matheson. People may recall the movie The Incredible Shrinking Man which was a great movie for its time (1957). The book however doesn't follow a linear timeline like the movie does. Instead we follow poor Scott from when he starts to shrink and when he is trapped in the cellar at less than an inch tall. It's a tragic story and the book pulls no punches - like when he is nearly abused by a paedophile who thinks he's a small boy and when he first starts staying in the cellar during the day he becomes a voyeur, ogling the frumpy child minder (things that the movie left out). Of course the we now know the science of this was way out and Richard Matheson was going to update the story to account for this. Still a great read though.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nick

Colditz by Ben Macintyre..  holiday reading, which is the only book reading I do now, super interesting account of the escapes and derring do of the inmates and an interesting perspective from the German side.

captainkurtz

Quote from: pdw1 on June 12, 2023, 08:55:56 PM
any good?
Listened to him on Loose Ends with Clive Anderson. He was a laugh and said his wife and Sharon don't get on and so he never talks to Ozzy.
It's a pretty quick run through sabbaths history really...but an enjoyable enough read.

captainkurtz

Quote from: David L on June 13, 2023, 12:32:22 AM
Does it include this :o  embarrassing episode?

"The thing with Geezer Butler, I think they were drinking one night and I think Geezer had some knife or something, and he flashed it at Malcolm," he began. He continued: "Malcolm took it off – there's a trick of getting knives away from people, so Malcolm immediately did that and he said, 'What are you gonna do now? - Angus Young
;D
It was a pocket comb, according to the Geez...