Cycling Etiquette

Started by Fishy, March 05, 2022, 08:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

Out on my route today  and started wondering what others' experiences were.. so for the most part i,m on designated cycle paths/routes so you encounter folks out for walks with dogs with kids etc etc..so folk coming towards can for the most part see you coming so tend to get out the way.. it's the folks that can't see you coming that pose the problem... so being the nice person I am will ring my bell many times in some instances to alert them. Some will get out the way others will stare at you like the devil incarnate.. what's ur fucking problem????.. others can't control their fucking dogs and look at you like you're in the wrong..others seem to completely over react like what the hell you doing on a bike on this path...

Anyone else with similar experiences?
From The Land of Honest Men

dom

I tend to avoid paths for that reason. I stick to the roads where there's less chance of meeting foolish pedestrians and their dogs

Nickslikk2112

I stick to the roads, but you're still not free of all the dogs that are on the end of those feckin' extending leads  >:(  Dogs should be on a short lead by a road, don't these feckers ever read the Highway Code?

Slim

I stick to the roads as well. Once or twice I've had car drivers gesticulating and pointing at the cycle path, but I ignore them. The cycle paths are often strewn with bits of broken glass, excess gravel and mud, and as my colleagues have observed, people with dogs.

There are one or two lanes I frequent that are not often used by cars, and people sometimes walk along them right down the middle, or in groups spread across the lane like a sort of perambulated cycling obstacle. Unfortunately I don't have a bell (I always take them off if supplied) so I just shout EXCUSE ME, in as polite a way as possible.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Jonners

I just try and be polite, communicate, avoid potential battles/horror stories etc