Cycling 2024

Started by Slim, January 01, 2024, 04:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

Much against my better judgement I went out today to get in the 34 miles to take me to 100 miles for the week and get over 200 for the month. It's getting no easier, even though it was steady I ended up feeling worse than if I'd gone for it. It kept dry though, well, dryish, there was a point when the rain started and I thought it might set in, then riding up to Sutton Scarsdale there was a clear demarcation on the road between wet and dry. I stayed on the dry side.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10964510595

Next cycling will be watching Milan - San Remo tomorrow. 288km with action in the last 40 - unless Pogi goes with 200km to go.

Slim

Rain was due over in the afternoon and I didn't want to get out of bed early, so I only wanted to do 40-odd. A simple plan: to go down the Southbound Route for 20 miles or so, then come back.

As I emerged onto the Earl Shilton bypass I saw what appeared to be cars parked on either side, at the junction. Very odd place to park, I thought .. but as I drew closer it was evident that they'd just smacked into each other head-on. I'd guess one of the drivers overestimated the time he had to turn right in the oncoming traffic. Nasty, but fortunately everyone appeared to have emerged unscathed.

At Coventry Road after 20 miles I decided to turn right to Shamford, rather than straight over to Broughton Astley. I only wanted to do a couple more miles before coming back so I was just messing around really. Then I took a left turn signposted to Frolesworth. I expected it to devolve into a gritty track more suited to a gravel bike but no, it was a thoroughly decently surfaced, quiet road. Not particularly interesting though, just a road through farmland.

Frolesworth is also not particularly interesting. Quite a pleasant little village but one of those places that has a church but no pubs or shops, which I find perverse. My intention had been to turn back and come the same way but I saw a sign to Broughton Astley, so I followed that. I came back the usual way from there.

The rain came down three hours earlier than it was supposed to, but it was light. Was sunny over the first hour of the ride.

Home on 47.22 miles. 266 this month.

I listened to Judas Priest's Unleashed in the East. I don't think I've listened to the whole thing since the early 1980s, and actually I still haven't, I switched it off to go in the Co-op at Stoney to get a croissant and put 5 Live on when I came out. Then 6 Music, then a corking FA Cup tie between Wolves and Coventry.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10972138894
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

After spending waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy too much time watching cycling yesterday, I thought I'd better get out today. Thankfully the weather gods were smiling as it was mostly sunny and mostly warm. Almost too warm for a long-sleeved jersey and bib-tights, but a fresh wind on the tops made me glad to be covered. The fingerless gloves made their first appearance of the year.

I'd hoped to get 40 miles in and I did get 40 miles in. Only the second time this year, oh the shame. Hard work at times, but that last seven miles downhill makes it all worthwhile. Thought I heard a Curlew today, but not sure, perhaps it was just a Lew.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10981425705/

Slim

We haven't been particularly fortunate with the weather recently so with a dry, very mild day forecast I took the afternoon off, with a view to doing a decently long ride. I decided I'd do the Southbound Route again, this time all the way down to Northampton. I reckoned I'd be back by about 9pm, but I got up a lot earlier than I expected. So I'd put in a decent shift and was away and pedalling shortly after 1000.

I was going to wear contact lenses. Unfortunately I lost one of them under my eyelid (again). It's still up there somewhere. So, with my cycling glasses away having new lenses fitted, I wore my regular metal frame varifocals. Unfortunately they are singularly unsuitable for cycling because they don't sit high enough on my nose. Fine for checking a watch or something on a handlebar but looking forward, I often only had an unassisted view over the top of the frame.

I got to Northampton at about 1415. Went into Kingsthorpe, past the guest house where I lived for a few months in 1984. Along St George Avenue, past the Racecourse - lovely to see the sun shining on the grass, all very nostalgic. Then I came back.

Took a diversion past the gliding club at Sibbertoft on the way back up. Nothing happening there today. I came the "old" way back up through Husbands Bosworth, Foston and Blaby, which is slightly shorter but I came a long way back through the village to get into three figures. Back on 101.87.

This was the first time I'd been out on the Roubaix for months, and I was surprised to find that the saddle felt a little lower than I expected. Fortunately I had an Allen key on me and I adjusted it after 20 miles or so. But I made a note of the exact position (the seat post has a scale printed on the back). Sure enough when I checked it later in the day, it had sunk 5mm or so. I reset it and tightened it a bit harder. I normally set it using a torque wrench but I set it as tight as I dared (it's carbon so not as robust as an alloy one would be). It seemed to stay put after that. Not sure whether I should re-torque it, or just leave it. Perhaps I need to apply some grip paste.

This is a more challenging long ride than most in my repertoire because of all the hill climbing coming north of Northampton, but I kept myself well fuelled and it was a breeze.

That was a really nice day out on a bike, especially when the sun was out. The day flew by.

I listened to Camel's Rain Dances - pretty bland stuff really but quite pleasant and calming. And The Colourfield's Virgins and Philistines, which is powerfully evocative of the time when I first lived in Northampton. Apart from that, 5 Live and, earlier in the day, James O'Brien on LBC. I agree with almost nothing he says, in fact it's obvious his main reason for getting up in the morning is to piss people off. But he's very entertaining, in an unintentional sort of way.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10988332354
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Probably doesn't surprise you but James O'Brien is great!

Finally got my first spin of March under my hat on Sunday. Poor really but a combination of poor weather and family commitments prevented me from going out sooner.

On Friday evening I did join a fitness class though, specifically targeted at improving cycling strength. Lots of core and leg work. Fair bit of balance stuff too. I felt fine on Saturday morning but really struggled after the spin on Sunday. Legs were sore and it was only a modest distance.

We'll see if it makes any difference to my cycling abilities by the time it ends in mid April

Nickslikk2112

Getting old sucks. Nice day weatherwise yesterday, but after Sunday I hadn't got it in my legs. Went out today though, managing 42.5 miles - best of the year so far! - with 3,180 feet of climbing, the most I've managed in one ride this year. Averaged over 16 mph too, which isn't too bad. Hopefully tomorrow will be rainy as I don't think I've got it in me to go out tomorrow.

Did managed to get away from my recent keep it steady "rut" roads though, hasn't done some since last September, which probably says something about the shitty weather we've been having as normally Winter doesn't keep me away from them. Still ahead of where I was back in 2021 my "best" cycling year, but I'm not putting together three hillier 40+ milers with more climbing like I could back then.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10992793468

David L

Quote from: dom on March 19, 2024, 05:11:00 PMProbably doesn't surprise you but James O'Brien is great!

It'll be interesting to see if he can come off the ramipril when Labour get into government

dom

Quote from: David L on March 19, 2024, 10:19:21 PM
Quote from: dom on March 19, 2024, 05:11:00 PMProbably doesn't surprise you but James O'Brien is great!

It'll be interesting to see if he can come off the ramipril when Labour get into government

I would answer that, but it would get too political for the non political section

Nickslikk2112

Did it rain yesterday? Must have, as I didn't get out on the bike. Can't remember what I did do. Would it rain today? Forecast said no. So out on the bike then.

I was aiming for a modest gain in my longest ride of the year, trying for 45 miles. Did I get there? Not quite. At my furthest point from home it started raining. Not much, but rain nonetheless. Rain which I must have been at the back edge of as the roads were piss wet and I soon got a very cold and wet arse and back. Feet got a bit chilly too, toes were purple, blue and white when I got back.

So, I made a bit of a more direct way home and finished at 43.4 miles, but at least I hit the Strava climbing challenge target. Pity about the rain as I was feeling better on the bike today, heart rate was in the zones where I'd expect it to be. What will the weekend bring?

https://www.strava.com/activities/11007684587

Nickslikk2112

After aborting yesterday's ride due to rain, I say aborting, but it felt full term to me, I got absolutely saturated. The forecast was for 34% chance of drizzle, well that was 100% wet and if it were drizzle I'd hate to see a Noachian deluge. I couldn't see either as the rain had washed out all the accumulated salt in my helmet lining into my eyes which were stinging like buggery. On the plus side Mrs S has cleaned my cycling shoes.

Today was sunny, with 0% chance of precipitation and thankfully the forecast was bang on. I was a bit late out due to watching Gent-Wevelgem, but an 18:26 sunset was enough for me to get 40 miles in. Taking me to 395 for March.

Strayed over to Nottinghamshire for the first time this year. Derbyshire's roads have now deteriorated to the same standard as Nott's, so it was a seamless transition. Got my average speed up to 18mph after 20 miles, first time I've done that in ages, but a headwind knocked that back to 17 by the end.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11030574681/

Nickslikk2112

Put a new chain on the Bianchi yesterday. Looking at my replacement schedule the old one had done over 5,500 miles. Can't believe it, but it was filthy and well above the 0.5 on the chain measuring device at which they recommend changing an 11 speed chain. Managed to feed it through the rear mech incorrectly at first, which is a bind, but hey-ho.

Can't say as a new chain made much difference though today. That could be because I decided to do my first ascent of Harewood Road this year 657 ft of elevation gain is the most I've tackled in one climb this year and I can feel it. Even with a tailwind it took me 17 minutes 40 seconds against my best of 15. I noticed that since I went up it last August Ben Swift of INEOS Grenadiers has been up it in 9 minutes 27 seconds. Crikey! He's not even a climber. Still, I did overtake a couple of cyclists on the way up and tried to make it sound like I wasn't breathing hard. I think they were both about 80...

Today's 41 miles leaves me needing 63 more to get to 500 for March. Will the weather be kind? Who knows. Maybe I'll have to get up early on Sunday.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11041511647

Nickslikk2112

Inching closer to 500 miles for March.

Yesterday I thought I'd get an hour and a half in before the rain. Why do I bother to think, it started after 15 minutes, so back home it was. I don't have to get wet. Six miles done.

Today, I had no idea how long I'd get. Was hoping for an hour. I got two, so that's another 30 on to the monthly tally leaving me 23.5 miles to do in two days - won't get any chance on Easter Sunday :( - which should, should, be doable. I also got home five minutes before the rain :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/11054903075

Slim

Eleven whole days since I'd been out on a bike, partly because I was away last weekend but also due to an unreasonable run of rainy conditions. The weather seems mainly to have been wet the whole year so far.

Fortunately, at the moment it looks like Saturday and Sunday will be dry this weekend. Today's weather forecast was not so promising, but I thought I'd do 25 or 30 miles anyway. The BBC forecast threatened rain from noon, but the rainfall radar picture looked more optimistic. I set off at about 1050. Just wanted to do a Twycrosser.

I was going to go all the way down to Sheepy as usual, but as I turned off down Sheepy Road, I noticed a rather threatening dark grey sky to the south. So I turned back and took the short cut down the main road. Came back along Gibbet Lane.

The rain started at 1202 exactly, so unfortunately the BBC forecast was pretty much spot on. Since I was going to get wet either way I came home the longer way through Barton and Nailstone. I also reasoned that the roads that way were less likely to be muddy.

Unexpectedly a mild, sunny day broke out over the last hour or so of the ride. It's still pretty nice out there, a couple of hours later. I could have stayed out for longer but I was getting a bit close to home, and the temptation of a coffee and a hot cross bun. I'll probably do a long one on Sunday anyway.

Back on 25.74 miles and that's 394 this month, which is over target for March.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11061737380
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

And I got over the 500 mile line. Woke to a drizzly day, which became a very drizzly day, then at ten it stopped and the sun came out, so out on the road I went.

Never too sure if any more wetness would turn up, so just had a gentle spin out to Heath and then rode to Sutton Scarsdale and back a couple of times before heading home to get back on 26.64 miles and thus 501.24 for March.

Hopefully get out tomorrow to put a bit of icing on the cake, but Sunday will be a big no-no as Mrs S has invited most of my living relatives over and her's too :( I tell a lie, my brother invited himself...

https://www.strava.com/activities/11061372690

David L

Nice, gentle ride on the mtbs today. From the campsite just outside Bakewell, we headed to Moneyash but turned off to pass through Sheldon. From Sheldon to Taddington where we stopped for refreshments at The Queens Arms. Lovely little pub. After a bite to eat washed down with a pint of 'Just Nipping Out' by Little Brewing Co. and a pint of Camden Pale, we took the long descent to Miller's Dale. We wheeled the bikes up the steep path to join The Monsal Trail. Lovely stretch southwards towards Bakewell as it's a gentle downhill in that direction, taking extra care through the gloom of the tunnels. We exited the trail at Great Longstone. Through the village to The Packhorse at Little Longstone. Cracking little pub, flagstone floors and two open fires on the go. Thornbridge Astryd followed by AM PM from the same. Lovely Venison burger served with some of the best chips we've ever had with a meal out.To get us back to the site, we doubled-back through Gt. Longstone to Ashford in the Water to return by 6:00pm.
First ride for a long time and probably not much more than 15 miles. No off-road, still too much water around to risk it. Both caught the sun on our faces and feel like we've exerted ourselves enough to sleep soundly tonight.