Main Menu

Cycling 2024

Started by Slim, January 01, 2024, 04:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

Went out still dressed for Summer today. Even though it was warmer than yesterday it felt colder as it was four o'clock before I went out - hey, Cyclocross season is back - and the sun was losing its power.

I was aiming for 32 miles in two hours and came in at nearly 34 in just over, so that'll do. Can't believe today was my first ascent of Tom Lane this year, could have sworn it was a regular ride earlier on this year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12694609991

dom

Was planning on heading out tomorrow with my cycling buddy but Ashling suggested  that this would be a bad idea.

And today was so beautiful - was thinking who knows when we'd get a day as warm and sunny again?

Had a busy morning taking the cat to the vet's and various shopping trips. Spent most of it thinking how much nicer it would be on a bike. As soon as I was home I was getting ready for the spin. Pretty unremarkable really out to Kells via the Gibbstown Gaeltacht and back via Bohermeen.

Felt good to be out though, so much so that not even the Arsenal defeat could spoil it

https://strava.app.link/kqXY1RKCPNb

Slim

I woke at about 0500 this morning. Certainly, I wasn't intending to get up that early. I asked Alexa the outside temperate. 11 degrees. Doable, however on reflection I thought it was probably better to go back to sleep for a few hours. So I did. I ended getting up at about 0930, later than I intended, but I was pedalling away from the garage by about 1020.

I took the Tricross. Wanted to check that my tactic of spraying GT85, then dribbling chain lube down the steerer tube had freed up the steering, and happily, it has. Nice and slippery smooth now.

Decently mild and dry day. The wind was coming from the south. The intention was to do a southbound fondo.

After about 2km, I realised that I hadn't brought my phone - which meant that I wouldn't be able to refuel at a village shop or petrol station. But I took stock - I had a Peperami "pizza bun" (awful but convenient), a cheese & onion pasty and two flapjacks with me. Probably enough. So I pressed on.

I decided after Stoney Stanton to go down the Fosse Way route instead of down toward Northamptonshire. Got to Brinklow after about 47km. Then, because I only wanted to do another three klicks or so, I took a right toward Coventry rather than continuing down Fosse Way. Turned after 50.3km and came back much the same way (I took the detour along Wood Road on the way back to bypass Bagworth).

Listened to 5 Live, and the first 90 minutes or so of Boris Johnson's superb Unleashed. Really a wonderful and engaging book, and he reads it beautifully.

Back on 102.28km, that's 852 this month.

The only annoying thing really about switching to km rather than miles has been that I have some landmarks with distances to home recorded in my head. They can be handy, but I'll just have to figure out and memorise some new ones.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12709866188
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan