Main Menu

Cycling 2024

Started by Slim, January 01, 2024, 04:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on October 04, 2024, 09:19:42 PMAnd another dry and sunny day. Even warm enough to dress as though it were summer, in fact it was just right today, I never felt cold and I never felt hot. It seems that 13-14C is the ideal temperature for me.

There are still too many roadworks out and about for me, but luckily the road which was supposed to be closed from 4th October was open. Which was good for me as it's my way out to the flatter lands. Although I did encounter an unexpected set of roadworks on the way back.

The Southerly breeze today was a bit stronger than forecast, it meant that I did the ideal thing of riding out into it and coming back with it, but apart from one short stretch it never seemed to get behind me. Must be the lie of the land funnelling it round. It did however bring the smell of Goats across the road in Pilsley. Whether there are Goats in Pilsley I don't know, maybe someone had unwrapped a big Goat's cheese. It all got me another 45 miles in the bag.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12572062509

I couldn't help myself from Googling "goats in Pilsley". There does seem to be a fair bit of goat activity in the place. Maybe it's mostly famous for goats and I've just been whooshed.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on October 05, 2024, 12:31:51 PMI couldn't help myself from Googling "goats in Pilsley". There does seem to be a fair bit of goat activity in the place. Maybe it's mostly famous for goats and I've just been whooshed.
I googled it and got nothing. Googling it again I get "Chatsworth Farm Shop" coming up. I forget there are two Pilsleys in Derbyshire. I wasn't cycling through the posh one...

With Saturday being my vinyl day, it would have been nice to get 33 1/3 miles in, but I ended up just over. I also ended up just under 16mph average (15.97) Didn't like that, I should be easily averaging it. I put in an extra run down to Sainsbury's roundabout and back only for a Tractor coming the other way to get on the roundabout before me. Curses. Foiled again.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12582766283/

Slim

A dry, very mild day with a moderate wind from the south. I set off on the southbound route shortly after 1000. Once again I intended to do a fondo minimally, but most likely a bit more.

In recent weeks when I've gone down that way, I've taken a left to the gliding club at Sibbertoft. Today I went down through Welford. I bought some food and a small bottle of orange juice at the petrol station there. Annoyingly I left the orange juice there somehow, after opening it for a quick gulp outside. But a few miles further to the south I took a left to Naseby and bought Lucozade at the village shop there. I'd done about 40 miles at this point, so I turned back.

The plan for the way back was to come back up the "old" way to the east, but to cut across to the "new" way, ie the way I'd come, after Foston, to avoid busy roads through Blaby, Enderby and Desford. This would involve navigating roads I'd never done before.

Unfortunately I took a wrong turn just after Countesthorpe, but I found my way back to the "old" route anyway, on a different set of roads than I'd intended. I suppose I should have rehearsed the turns on Street View, or used a GPX app or the eTrex. To be fair I quite enjoyed the route I did take. Very quiet and scenic. But I probably wouldn't do it again. Too hilly, and my planned route would have got me across quicker.

Came back up through Barlestone and Nailstone. I reckoned the A447 would be quiet enough on a Saturday, and it was.

Back on 83.68 miles, very happy to have done 170 miles in October already.

I listened to footy coverage on 5 Live, LBC, Be Bop Deluxe's Live in the Air Age and more of Chickenhawk.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12584176934
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

My heart was telling me to go out and do 45 miles today. My head, for reasons you don't want to know said keep it to 25. I ended up doing 35, but never going too far from home.

I rode out, did four local laps with consistent timings and then came home. It would even have been warm enough for bib shorts today, but I wore tights as it had been raining until half time and as a good Pathetic Shark I don't like to feel road spray on my legs.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12596906435

Slim

Today's forecast improved over the weekend, to the point where it was unlikely to rain. Nonetheless I only intended to do 40 or so, perhaps a Twycross Bypasser. However when I examined my spreadsheet this morning I noticed that a bit more than 50 miles would take me over 5000 miles for 2024, so I decided I might as well do another fondo.

The wind was coming from the south-west. I came up with the idea of doing a Bypasser, with the Dad's Army route tacked on at the bottom. I've developed a modification that leaves the (rather busy) A5 earlier, and (more importantly) avoids the roundabout that joins it to the M42.

So I did that. I didn't use the eTrex or a GPX app. I just had a careful look on the map beforehand and reminded myself of the turns, and I managed OK. I went down as far as Coleshill, then turned back. To bump up the distance I took a right turn to go exploring through a village called Nether Whitacre on the way back.

I also missed a turn, but this was fortuitous, because it meant that I went past a garden centre with a little butcher's stall outside, based in a sort of open-sided hut. It's not the best cyclist's pit stop really because they don't sell drinks, or chocolate, or flapjacks. Just raw meat, uncooked sausages, pork pies and (occasionally) samosas. The only immediately-edible food on offer today were pork pies. so I bought two, a stilton one (lovely) and a red onion one. Very handy, I definitely needed to refuel.

Listened to more Chickenhawk (nearly finished now) and 5 Live. I think I listened to music as well, but I've already forgotten what it was.

Back on 63.90 miles, which pleasingly takes me to 234 this month, 5013 this year.

It was a mild day, warm enough for bare legs. Very nice to go down that way again, I must look for options to expand that route on the other side of the A5.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12599371161
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Wish I'd paid more attention to the weather out of the window, rather than watching rainfall radar which showed falling rain, none of which was reaching the ground. Still, gave me time to watch the Women's Tre Valli Varenese.

Didn't go too far or put too much effort in, actually managing a ride at Tempo, whatever that is, all I know is it isn't as hard as Threshold or VO2 max. Got 27 miles in which means 211 for October so far, be nice to get to 250 over the next couple of days, but it looks rainy tomorrow.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12604894566

Nickslikk2112

It was indeed rainy yesterday. Today? Sunshine :) Cold though and a bit hard pedalling into a 4,012 mph Northerly! Just had the fingers and face uncovered today.

Thankfully I got in the requisite mileage t get to 250 miles to let me have a mid-month break. Managed to blow away a couple of the Chesterfield Spire Cycling club up the Shillito climb too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12621011125

Slim

Not a bad day today. Dry, mostly sunny, but cold. The BBC forecast hurricane winds in excess of 5,000mph, but since this was due to a glitch in their data, I set off to do a fondo on my Upper Westbound route. I wrapped up warm; three layers on top and two below the waist. Didn't feel a need to unclothe during the ride.

I set off at 1049. Up through Coleorton and Melbourne, over Swarkestone Bridge, west along my favourite flat A road south of Derby. Usually on this route, after Scropton I would turn north through Sudbury and up toward Ashbourne, but today I thought I'd try something different. I only needed another 6 miles to get to half-fondo distance, and I turned south instead to go exploring. I knew I didn't want to go too far south along Sudbury Road as it's a bit of a rollercoaster ride of steep hills down there so I looked for a right turn that might take me west for a few miles.

So after going south for a couple of miles I took a right a long a road called Stubby Lane. Pretty sure I hadn't been along that way before. Quite pleasant. Quiet. Kept going for about five miles, then turned back. I intended to come back the same way, but I didn't quite. I took a wrong turn which took me a different way between Draycott and Hatton, through Tutbury. Hadn't been there for a while.

One annoying thing about this route is that it involves using the A511 for a few hundred metres, and it can take a long time for a suitable break in the traffic to appear so you can take the right turn onto it, if you happen to arrive at a bad time during the rush hour. I became self conscious about holding up the driver behind me after about seven minutes, so much so that I withdrew to let him have a go first. I reckoned a car would have a better chance at taking advantage of a medium-sized gap in the unending stream of motor vehicles.

About fifteen minutes after I set off, I noticed a group of people huddled around something on the pavement in Coleorteon. As I drew closer I saw that it was a young man, sitting on the ground, wrapped in a blanket with his face covered in blood. Hope it wasn't too serious. Saw a dead deer next to the road a few miles further on.

Listened to the last chapter of my audiobook Chickenhawk and 5 Live.

Back on 66.04 miles, and that takes me to 300 this month! Or almost; 299.73 to be pedantic. That was my fourth fondo this month and my thirty-fifth this year. 2024 might well be my first forty-fondo year. Actually nine of my last ten rides have been fondos.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12622847703
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Had a lunch appointment today so unfortunately, not a lot of time. Decent weather - dry, mostly sunny, low winds but cold. About 6C when I set off at 1040.

I took the Tricross since I hadn't used it since April, and I immediately noticed that the steering was a bit stiff. Clearly the headset isn't too tight since it was fine last time I used it. Maybe the bearings are wearing out. Anyway I decided it would be usable. And it was just about, except that coming out of a bend needed a bit of extra care - the steering needed gentle pressure to straighten out again onto the straight and level. I hoped that it would loosen up after a few turns, but it didn't.

I wanted to do 34 miles or so and I did a fairly standard Twycrosser with the Orton detour, except that instead of going through Carlton, I doubled back to Congerstone. Although it's only a few miles from home I don't think I've ever done that short stretch between the canal and Congerstone. Anyway it's pleasant, but unexceptional.

Huge amounts of mud on the road near Orton, but at least I was on the optimal bike for that.

Back on 32.93 miles. Listened to 5 Live and David Bowie's second album from 1969, usually known as Space Oddity but in fact titled David Bowie. I thought I was going to be cold so I had two fleeces on underneath my winter cycling top, but I had to take one off for the last ten miles. Very nice run out anyway.

When I got back I hung the bike from the garage ceiling and squirted some GT85 down the join between the forks and the steerer tube, then worked the steering for a few seconds. That's already taken out most of the stiffness, although it was slightly gritty. I'll do it again, then dribble some chain oil down there. It probably ought to be greased.

Anyway that's 333 miles in the bag for October, more on Tuesday I hope. I'm 72 miles ahead of last year at the moment. Looks like this might well be another 10,000km year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12647356981
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

As ever, four days off the bike and I've lost half my fitness, a few years back I'd have been burning up the roads after a break like that. Ho-hum.

Wasn't really the day for road burning though, dull and a bit drizzly and damp the higher you went. The mid level mists meant I put off riding too high and just did a couple of circuits round Apperknowle, we're having new windows fitted too so I didn't want to go too far from home.

Managed 35 miles, as ever, it'll do.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12660341292

Slim

Gloomy and a bit damp this morning and there was still a bit of drizzle in the air when I set off at about 1100. But the BBC promised it would clear up, so I did a fairly standard version of the eastbound fondo over to Eastwell and back. Out through Thringstone, Belton, Stanford and Burton on the Wolds, back through Rempstone, Wymeswold, Long Whatton, Coleorton.

I have a bit of a cold at the moment so I thought I might cut it short, but I was fine. The ride did take longer than I would normally expect, but I think that was mostly due to queuing in traffic at roadworks near Zouch. Nice run out. Nice to get out of the house anyway.

I listened to Bowie's The Man Who Sold The World album and 5 Live.

Back on 65.76 about 15 minutes before sunset.. it's that time of year when you start thinking about taking lights even if you set off in the morning.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12663534603
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

With dry, mild - almost warm - weather forecast for today, I really wanted to do another fondo. Unfortunately I've contracted a moderate case of man flu, and rather than pedalling away into the yonder on a bicycle this morning, I went back to bed.

But I did get up again at about midday, and following a modest lunch, I was off and away not long after 2pm. I hoped to do 40 miles or so.

For some reason I went right up through Ashby, and looped round there a couple of times. Just amusing myself really. Then I came down through Packington and did a fairly standard Twycrosser from there.

I went into the village shop at Packington - I've passed it dozens of times but never bothered to go in, mostly because it's only a few miles from home. But this time I did, because the fridge was lamentably low on cycling snacks. Quite a useful little shop.

Listened to 5 Live. Back on 35.42 miles, fewer than I intended but oh well. I was back at 1745, only 20 minutes before sunset.

That was my 1500th ride since I started recording and spreadsheeting them in January 2015, 48,374 miles ago.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12679438734
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Trying to get back into things again, I really do get knocked back if I don't ride for four days and today was just the sort of day to go out. Nice enough to get back into full Summer kit. A bit chilly in the shade at first, but completely nice enough to bare the old arms and legs. Probably not enough UV to top up the tanlines thoough.

Had a ride out through Tibshelf and managed to maintain a better average speed than last time I rode that way, but put less effort into it. I'll never understand these things, maybe a better tailwind on the way back helped. Managed to get 42 miles in, with enough elevation gain to hit the October Strava climbing challenge. They really did ought to lift it back to 7,500m of climbing though.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12676933773