Main Menu

Cycling 2024

Started by Slim, January 01, 2024, 04:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dom

Early start yesterday so we could meet a couple of drug recovery cycling groups in Dunboyne. Set off at 7 and it was chilly. The thin long sleeved top and leg warmers did the job, but the fingerless gloves led to difficulties with gear changing an hour or so into the spin.

It was a beautiful day though and after a coffee stop in Dunboyne it was warm enough for the warmers and top to be removed.

I haven't cycled in a large group for quite a while but it's definitely easier. Strava shows some pretty quick segments, in the main without too much effort.

Good group of people and it was a really enjoyable spin. Some cars took exception to the group but nothing too upsetting bar some rude hand gestures and occasional excessive use of the horn.

Nickslikk2112

After getting soaked on a Sunday 25 miler - it absolutely lashed it down for 5 minutes, before stopping, then five minutes later getting to a point where it hasn't rained at all - I made sure that this morning's rain was well and truly out of the way before venturing out.

Of course by that time it was nearly time for lunch and watching the Vuelta riders slogging up to Lago da Covadonga, but I managed to get another 25 miles in. Went up Long Lane for the first time since I had a "funny turn" trying to go up it. I managed it without any turns - it's a straight road - but it knackered me, it seems an awful lot worse than 0.61 miles @ 7%. I then did it again, it got no easier and despite putting moor effort in I was slower than first time around. Ho-hum.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12314312833

Nickslikk2112

Cloudy today, but dry, not warm but not cold, best of all very little wind, I don't like wind. According to Strava it was the fourth time I'd done that particular route and I'm trending faster. In fact last time I rode it in early August I averaged 16.3mph, today it was 16.9mph. Can't quite think why I was that much quicker, but last time I'd been off the bike for four days and had been indulging in the finer things in life, so that could explain it.

There were a lot of other cyclists out today, a lot for Tuesday I thought. Then I realised, today is Wednesday, it's always a bit bikier on a Wednesday. You lose track of what day it is when you're retired. Still, another 42 miles in the bag and over 3,000ft of elevation gain. I'm happy with that.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12323524573

Slim

Wasn't able to leave the house until after 1330, but I was pedalling away from the garage at 1345. Decent weather, a bit cool but due to warm up later in the afternoon.

The wind was coming from the north-east, so I did the traditional eastbound fondo.

The fridge was a bit short of cycling food so I bought a sandwich and a tube of Smarties at Burton on the Wolds. Had a pleasant 10 minutes munching the sandwich on the bench at Eastwell, then came back. As usual I came through Wymeswold and Rempstone on the way back. There was a ROAD CLOSED sign at Narrow Lane but I ignored it. Didn't see any roadworks along there at all. I did see some of those traffic counters stretched across the road in a few places. They weren't there last time (Friday) so perhaps the road was closed to allow them to be installed.

I listened to 5 Live - interesting coverage of and discussion around the first round of the Tory leadership election. I haven't even worn my I'm Picking Priti t-shirt yet and it's already too late! Also a couple of hours of my audiobook, Chickenhawk.

Warm enough to remove a top layer and strip to bare legs after 17 miles, when the sun came out. Really nice out there. Back twenty minutes before sunset.

And that's September off to a decent start. 62.73  miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12326757892
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Well, today was the seemingly annual ride out to watch the fifteen seconds of the Tour of Britain passing by. I nearly didn't bother as it was dull and drizzly, but after a few minutes umming and ahhing I decided to give it a go, it's still early September so still fir for bib-shorts and a short-sleeved jersey :)

I took the long way out as even at twenty to ten the last dregs of what passes for Rush Hour in Chesterfield and the aftermath of the school run were still making roads busy, plus there are roadworks everywhere.

It took me a bit longer to get to Ringinglow than expected as there was a fierce North Easter blowing, especially up on the tops, it may be uphill, but I've never had to drop down to the small chainring up Stoneyridge road before. It was misty and very drizzly too. Luckily, this now meant that I didn't have to stand around in the wet for too long.

After the riders came out of the mist and then disappeared back into it, it was the long wait for all the team cars to pass by before heading home. I had planned to drop down to Hathersage and come back up Froggatt but not in that mist and wind. It got me 40 miles in which will do.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12331823285/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiZxf29iAYE

Slim

The basic idea for today was to to do at least 80 miles, but I woke up at about 0430 and decided to get up there and then and do a longer ride. I knew that the temperature overnight wasn't going to dip under 16C, which of course would make an early start a lot easier.

I set off at 0536. Very dark at that time, but by the time I'd passed through the street-lighting-illuminated roads of the village then Coalville, it was light enough that I didn't need to use my head torch. A little strappy LED blinker sufficed on the front. Very cloudy early on, gloomy almost. But very mild, and dry. I was very comfortable with leggings and two layers on top. I didn't feel a need to strip down to minimal clothing until about 50 miles in, when the sun had started to burn away the gloom. I stashed my cycling jacket and tights in a hedge near Little Bytham.

I stopped for Breakfast II at the village shop at Buckminster at around 0920. Spent about ten minutes at the bench outside, then set off east again. I did the same route I intended last Friday, except that I took a wrong turn after Little Bytham (I backtracked after half a mile), but this time I made it onto The Fens. Didn't spend long there - I just pedalled along Baston Outgang Road for a bit - but I didn't think I'd get another chance this year, so I was happy to spend a few minutes there.

I'd done more than 60 miles at this point, and I decided to head back. I did have time to go further - it was only about 1130 - but I have a lot of travelling to do at the weekend, including a very early start. So I didn't want to give myself too much to recover from. And I wouldn't say the conditions were ideal. The headwind was stronger than I'd normally entertain on a 100+ miler.

Stopped at Buckminster again for more fuel and hydration. Back home by 1740, on 120.92 miles.

In hindsight it might seem like an odd choice to have set off at 0536 when I was back two hours before sunset. But the sun was uncomfortably hot in the afternoon, and conditions were very accommodating early on. I suppose I'd have had the same peak sun period either way. Anyway I've definitely topped up the tan on my arms and legs, but I don't seem to have burned.

Something quite odd occurred in the morning. I was happily gliding along a flat stretch of road east of Six Hills, when a large dead rat, a really big bugger, descended from above and slapped onto the road about 12 feet in front of me. It bounced about half an inch. Its neck was bloody and ragged. I assume a bird of prey dropped it. If I'd set off half a second earlier, it might have hit me on the head.

I listened to a Sinatra album (Sinatra and Company - lovely), a couple more hours of Chickenhawk, 5 Live and LBC.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12342746272
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Well I got all of 18 miles in today. It was Drizzly, misty, murky and not very pleasant. At least it was quite warm, for small mercies and all that...

Slim

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on September 07, 2024, 09:21:40 PMWell I got all of 18 miles in today. It was Drizzly, misty, murky and not very pleasant. At least it was quite warm, for small mercies and all that...

Why would you go out in that?

But I must admit I am the archetypal, card-carrying Fair Weather Cyclist.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Slim on September 08, 2024, 09:49:07 AMWhy would you go out in that?

It was dry when I set out :) Didn't last long...

QuoteBut I must admit I am the archetypal, card-carrying Fair Weather Cyclist.

Now I'm retired I'm 100% a fair weather cyclist, but I've managed to get wet on 3 out of my last fived rides :(

Nickslikk2112

No rain today! Well, there was this morning and early afternoon, but after watching the Tour of Britain it was dry enough to get out, with even a smattering of sunshine.

I'd fully intended on taking it totally easily today, but it never happens. Like last week I decided to go up the Sutton Lane climb on the big chainring. I succeeded in setting my best ever time from the 188 ascents I've done. Thirteen seconds quicker and I'll beat the best women's time - Ellen van Dijk's, three time world Time Trial champion - doubt I'll manage it as it would mean averaging over 300W, I'm too old for that. Was a bit miffed to see I wasn't the quickest of the day (2nd out of two) and the other time was from someone in my age group too. Pisser.

Good to get 35 miles in and was back in time to see the finish of the Vuelta.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12360335021/

Nickslikk2112

Finally got out this week. Monday's are usually a day off, as was this week's, then Tuesday and Wednesday it wasn't fit to go out. Cold, windy and lots of sharp showers. Today was probably colder still, but most importantly it was DRY!

Had to put a long sleeved top on though, stayed with bib-shorts, but thought I'd benefit from covered arms as the act of pedalling warms the old thighs up. As it happened I could probably have gotten away with short sleeves, but an unexpected shower would have been a bit much.

Thought I might not stay out long though, six miles in I could hear a strange creaking noise. Was it the bottom bracket? Brakes stuck on? Seatpost creak? Saddle creak? Seemed more seatpost creaky, but there wasn't any consistency as to when it happened. Kept stopping to check things over, but nothing seemed amiss. Tightened up the straps on the saddle bag at one point and that seemed to make things better, but who knows.

I'm sure if there was something serious it would have manifested itself more over the course of the 40 miles I did. Maybe try it without the bag tomorrow, but then if I do that I'll end up needing bike tools and a spare inner tube...

https://www.strava.com/activities/12391290894

Nickslikk2112

Don't know if it was the source of yesterday's creaking noise - seems unlikely - but my rear brake cable snapped today, luckily it was before I set off, I was just holding the brake lever down at the bottom of teh drive and there it snapped. Another thing to get sorted, still not got the Bianchi done, I'd love to get the disc pad retaining bolts out myself as I don't want bicycle repair man to see how the front brake was metal on metal. Seems he's on holiday for a week so I'll give it another go before contacting him.

Luckily I have a third usable road bike, albeit a gravel bike with road wheels at the moment, so it was nip in and swap over Lights, Garmin and Power Pedals and away we go. Didn't go too far away though as my guts were in a bit of a state before going out, but managed to get 32 miles in which will do me as it gets me well back on track for 500+ miles in September.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12399106934/

Nickslikk2112

Turned out nice again, looks like summer's back :) By the time I went out it was starting to cool off, but still pleasant enough to get 33 miles in. Told Mrs S I'd be a couple of hours and was three minutes over. She let me off, means she had the time to finish off the household repairs she'd started :)

Don't know how, but I did my second best power output for 20 minutes. Presumably going up the Col de Wigley, it had my highest power output for its ascent this year and it was my sixth slowest time out of seven. What a difference a heavier bike with aluminium wheels makes.

https://www.strava.com/activities/12410145905/