Cycling 2024

Started by Slim, January 01, 2024, 04:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Perfect conditions were forecast for yesterday - mostly sunny, not too warm, dry and unusually light winds. Occasional cloud cover, to give a bit of respite from the sun in the afternoon. Three live football matches to listen to on my DAB personal radio (always a joy when out on a bike). So I booked a final annual leave day to perform my yearly ritual of cycling to the edge of Norfolk and back. I planned a route that would take me a slightly different way than I'd done previously and come back a different way again; about 175 miles in all.

I went to bed at 2300 on Wednesday night with the intention of getting up at 0330, but I didn't sleep. I got up at about 0245, and set off at 0350.

It was cold at that time of the morning of course but I was wearing several layers of clothing including cycling tights, and was warm enough. There was enough light in the pre-dawn gloom, 50 minutes before sunrise, to see the road well enough so I just used a basic blinking LED front light. Last time I did this ride a year ago, I'd set off nearly an hour earlier. It was a lot darker for the first hour and I was much colder. Probably didn't think it through properly, but I can be impulsive sometimes. It's not an ideal character trait for a system engineer. But I digress.

Anyway, I arrived at my favourite village shop at Buckminster after 38 miles. Had a second breakfast at one of the benches outside. I'd hoped to be able to remove a couple of layers of clothing by this time but the temperature hadn't climbed as much as I'd expected - so I left them on. My route after Buckminster took me east a different way than I normally go, through Castle Bytham, Witham on the Hill, Manthorpe and Thurlby. At Thurlby, 58 miles into the ride I was finally convinced that the air temperature was warm enough to strip down to minimal cycling clothing. So I removed my long-sleeved cycling jacket, fleece, gloves and tights as well as a spare bike light and packed them into a camo-pattern nylon bag, which I then obscured in the nether regions of a hedge next to a distinctive farm gate. I've used this tactic before, as regular readers may remember. It's very handy for avoiding carrying unnecessary weight over long distances. The key thing of course is to remember exactly where you stashed your stuff.

I had another rest-and-refuel stop at a lovely caff overlooking a pond near Deeping St Nicholas after 67 miles, then again at Tydd Gate after 86 miles, not far from my eventual destination - Sutton Bridge. And when I got there, 20 minutes later, an inner voice spoke to me. "Why don't you try for 200 miles?", it said.

The first 89 had been a breeze. Conditions had been ideal; the scenery had mostly been lovely. I'd taken it easy and was in good spirits. Sometimes if you're unhappy about something - the state of the roads, the temperature, the traffic - that can wear you down a little on a long ride but I'd had no problems at all yesterday. I'd done a 200-miler once before, in 2020 - but I was a young lad of 59 then. I'd sometimes wondered, this past couple of years, if I could do it again.

It would mean that I'd be home a couple of hours later than I'd planned, but the sun was due to set very late - and of course because I'd set off before sunrise, I had lights with me for the last hour post-sunset. As it happens a bright full moon was due as well, though of course I hadn't actually checked that in advance.

So I decided to go for it. I made up most of the extra distance by doing a bit of extra-curricular exploring in the eastern part of Lincolnshire where the terrain was very flat, and before I'd have to pick up the extra weight of my stashed cycling clothing at Thurlby. I didn't do this particularly imaginatively or carefully. I somehow managed to visit a cute little market town called Market Deeping twice. But it was fun nonetheless.

I'd uploaded my original route to my Garmin eTrex. It was hugely helpful to have a touch-screen map mounted on my handlebar, even when I went off-piste. Much better than stopping to check a phone app every 15 minutes.

The ride back west was pleasant and uneventful. I came back a longer way over the last 30 miles, to make up the remaining distance deficit.

The temperature dropped very quickly as I came down the hill toward Burton on the Wolds. I must have descended into a pool of cold air. I stopped a couple of miles later at a huge log next to Stamford Lane to put my additional cycling clothing back on, and put my lights on. Farmers sometimes deposit these massive bits of tree next to unused entrances to their land, to stop people driving into their fields and stealing cattle. Or something. But they provide useful roadside seating for cyclists. The sun had just set. I rested for 15 minutes and ate a cornish pasty I'd bought. Then I set off to do the remaining 15 miles. I arrived home at 2330. I'd done 201 miles. Beat my previous record by about half a mile.

I did suck some of the fun out of that ride in the planning stage. For some of the territory in Lincolnshire, I used charmless A roads rather than the distinctive straight, narrow tracks that run along the drainage channels in the beautiful desolation of the Fenlands. But since I picked up two punctures on a ride over there last year I'm a bit more cautious. I like well-established roads on long rides.

That was, I must say, a lot easier than my first 200 mile ride. On that occasion, each of the last 20 miles seemed to pass like 10. Over the last 5 miles I was stopping to lean against a lamp post and cry every ten minutes. This time, while I was certainly tired over the last 15, I didn't suffer.

My arms got a bit sunburned unfortunately, but I have lovely sharp tanlines on my legs.

Happy to have done a 200 miler again. I don't think I'll ever do another one. But of course, I've said that before.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11701075280
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Nice weather yesterday but I decided I'd give myself another day off after doing a rather long one on Thursday. Fortunately the weather was rather nice as well today, and I thought I'd do about 40 or so. With a slight wind coming from the west, a Twycross Bypasser seemed a good idea.

However - after four or five miles it became clear that I didn't have my usual mojo. Just felt a bit low on energy. Might be because I've had a couple of late nights in the last few days as much as anything else, but I decided to keep it fairly short and do an old-fashioned Twycrosser, rather than a Bypasser.

Down to Ratcliffe Culey, through Sibson, back up through Bosworth, Odstone, Swepstone et al.

Since I'd forgotten to bring any food, I called in at the shop at Bosworth and bought a sausage roll. Passed it hundreds of times probably, but I'd never been in. I was surprised to see that the till was self-service. Sign of the times when even a village shop has an automated checkout.

I stopped at the bus shelter at Carlton (pictured) to eat the sausage roll, to sustain me over the last eight miles. There was an election leaflet pinned to the wall, for the Hinckley and Bosworth constituency. I won't say which candidate; this isn't the politics section. But it wasn't there for long.

Back on 31.92 miles and that's 516 this month now, and 3015 this year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11720188462

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

There's a couple of people on here who I would imagine are pretty close to 50% 😂

https://www.laphamsquarterly.org/comedy/flann-obrien-splits-atom

Nickslikk2112

I'm probably only 20% bicycle.

I've finally cooled down from this morning's ride. A bit warm it was. A bit riddled with traffic lights at roadworks too. I'd checked before going out and plotted a route to avoid them, only to find two sets which weren't supposed to be there and a set which had been marked in the wrong position, why are they always at red for me and uphill too?

On the plus side I've finally got over COVID and shaken off whatever I got following on from that, only trouble is the legs are still suffering from a lack of action, but I got my first 40 miler in for a long time. Four more rides almost as long and I'll make 500 miles for June, 300 miles short of what I'd like, but it is what it is.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11735365508

Slim

The weather was actually a bit too hot for cycling today, but I applied my most minimal cycling clothing and a bit of suntan lotion. A rare chance to wear my lightweight camo-pattern cycling top, constructed of material so diaphonous that it barely exists. I reckon a light-fingered midgie could probably fly off with it.

Didn't want to go far. Not much spare time today unfortunately, so I thought a Twycrosser or Bypasser was probably the best idea. Set off at about 1510.

Fortunately I do seem to have my mojo back now, following a few days' recovery from my 200 miler on Thursday. I seemed to have plenty of energy. Unusually, I went right up into Ashby and along Market Street before descending through Packington. Down through Norton and Orton as usual.

After Sibson though I cut in westward to Sheepy Magna, so I could treat myself to a pitstop at San Giovanni. Had an Old Fashioned and asked for a tap water to top up my bidon. It came with a chunk of lemon and ice. Dumped it into the bidon with the ice from the cocktail so I had a cool, faintly lemon-flavoured water supply for the remaining ten miles (up through Twycross and Swepstone).

Quite a nice run out if a bit too warm, 37.03 miles, 553 this month and perhaps I can get that up to 600.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11738360625
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Legs were a bit lacking today at times, I think it's the heat, but still, I got 37 miles in, meaning I need not much more than 90 miles in the next four days. I'll try and get as many in as I can tomorrow, weekend weather appears a bit hit and miss and the Tour de France starts on Saturday, got that to watch.

When I got back today, my helmet strap was encrusted with salt. Turn the helmet upside down and the strap stays pointing upwards :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/11743667151

Nickslikk2112

Cooler today, not by that much, but less humid and a decent bit of wind helped, well helped keep me cool, didn't seem to help with my riding, at least not when riding into it.

Just a steady little spin today doing a couple of loops. Almost 36 miles gets me to 134 for the week, my bets weekly total since the week ending 12th May. All being well should get to 200 miles for the week and 500 for the month.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11751594435

Slim

I intended to do 30-odd miles after work today. That's after work in the unusually final sense that I have - at least provisionally - retired today. However I had very little to do this afternoon apart from completing an exit survey and sending round a few messages, which I wanted to do at about 4pm - so I decided to set off at lunchtime instead.

I did a Bypasser. Somehow I missed the left turn along Kisses Barn Lane - probably because I'd just been overtaken dangerously closely, and was seething. I only noticed when I found myself approaching some speed bumps that aren't a normal feature of my intended route.

So I continued on into Polesworth. It's a bit urban. I don't mind that so much as the hills you have to negotiate to pass through it. Then I took a left onto Grendon Road. Wasn't completely sure where I was until I passed Spon Lane on the right. I think I might go exploring over that way soon.

Came back up athrough Sheepy and, after Snarestone, the same way I'd come down. Back before 4pm. I sent my exit survey, which was a bit of a hand grenade, but quite cathartic. Said a few goodbyes. Signed off.

Back on 36.17 miles. Nice out there. Warm.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11754260580

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan