Main Menu

Guitar discussion thread.

Started by Rufus_the_dawg, March 05, 2022, 01:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus_the_dawg

Practising Segovia scales today.

Slim

And what might they be? I'm not familiar with the term.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

They are major and minor scales using the whole fret board with a lot of finger shifts. They would be good for jazz guitar.

Slim

Been practising quartal chord voicings today - they give a nice modern jazz flavour and they're pretty easy to crowbar in.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

Trying to learn MARIA LUISA - Julio Sagreras on my classical.

Slim

I bought this guitar, which I have photographed rather indifferent this evening, 40 years ago today.

I always wanted a Les Paul, and had a poor copy of one. But I read a review of the new Squier series guitars from Fender in Sounds magazine and decided I had to have one. These were the first instruments made by Fender Japan and they were actually a bit nicer than the American Fenders of the time.

I borrowed some of the money from my mum, and went off to Middlesbrough in search of one, accompanied by my girlfriend at the time, a young lady called Janet.

I really wanted the 1950s reissue, with the maple fingerboard - but the only place that had any of them was a shop called Cleveland Music, and they only had three identical '60s reissues. I tried one - it was great. I went away and thought about it for 20 minutes then I went back and bought it.

I well remember sitting in the waiting room at Middlesbrough station, waiting for a train to take us back to Hartlepool, happily clutching my new guitar.

I replaced the bridge saddles in 1983 for the brass ones seen here. The three-way pickup selector went very crackly, so I replaced it with a five-way. And it was refretted in 2016. Apart from that - it's all original. And it's still my favourite guitar.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan