Main Menu

Football

Started by Slim, February 26, 2022, 07:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Strong stuff from Forest. I applaud them for speaking out.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on April 21, 2024, 09:48:46 PMStrong stuff from Forest. I applaud them for speaking out.

Good for Forest for calling this insidious back room operation out. VAR is ruining football. Fans can't even celebrate a goal being scored properly until some faceless expert runs a rule over things. Some of the Scottish stats on decisions are beyond belief. The whole set up stinks.

dom

VAR is supposed to reduce human error.  In fact it has put additional humans into the chain thereby increasing human error!

Thenop

Our manager at Feyenoord is now being rumoured to be the next Liverpool manager. Not happy, obviously, but it is well deserved if he went. Let's see how he gets on then.
Mind you, nothing has been decided or signed.

Not a fan of the rumour mill at all, but this sounded credible considering the source here in the Netherlands.

pxr5

Quote from: Thenop on April 25, 2024, 06:06:12 PMOur manager at Feyenoord is now being rumoured to be the next Liverpool manager. Not happy, obviously, but it is well deserved if he went. Let's see how he gets on then.
Mind you, nothing has been decided or signed.

Not a fan of the rumour mill at all, but this sounded credible considering the source here in the Netherlands.
The BBC are reporting on it too:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cnl4ql0p4pqo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c72plnjy4qeo
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Thenop

What he should not do is make the same mistake that all Dutch coaches make: bring over too much players he has been working with. Having said that I would not be surprised if Geertruida would follow him, and he would poach Kokcu from Benfica, both of which were team captains for him.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Thenop on April 25, 2024, 06:48:49 PMWhat he should not do is make the same mistake that all Dutch coaches make: bring over too much players he has been working with. Having said that I would not be surprised if Geertruida would follow him, and he would poach Kokcu from Benfica, both of which were team captains for him.

Totally understand this argument, Nop, but Wim Jensen arriving in Glasgow and then stealing Henrik Larsson for £650,000 resulted in such a happy period of football memory for me. Not just the achievements in terms of trophies, but the display of unbridled talent was something precious to many Glaswegians. He stayed seven years. Unimaginable in today's money driven game, but I'm so glad he reached the ultimate prize in the European game. I think Alex Ferguson heaped huge praise on him recently. The ultimate professional. A former colleague's son worked for a time at the famous Gleneagles Hotel. Henrik and his family came for lunch. They chatted briefly about football and his waiter declared his love for Rangers. Henrik left him a £50 tip. Classy guy and footballer of sublime talent. Wim Jensen RIP and thank you. And thank you Feijenoord, but not for 1970.

Thenop

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on April 25, 2024, 09:57:49 PM
Quote from: Thenop on April 25, 2024, 06:48:49 PMWhat he should not do is make the same mistake that all Dutch coaches make: bring over too much players he has been working with. Having said that I would not be surprised if Geertruida would follow him, and he would poach Kokcu from Benfica, both of which were team captains for him.

Totally understand this argument, Nop, but Wim Jensen arriving in Glasgow and then stealing Henrik Larsson for £650,000 resulted in such a happy period of football memory for me. Not just the achievements in terms of trophies, but the display of unbridled talent was something precious to many Glaswegians. He stayed seven years. Unimaginable in today's money driven game, but I'm so glad he reached the ultimate prize in the European game. I think Alex Ferguson heaped huge praise on him recently. The ultimate professional. A former colleague's son worked for a time at the famous Gleneagles Hotel. Henrik and his family came for lunch. They chatted briefly about football and his waiter declared his love for Rangers. Henrik left him a £50 tip. Classy guy and footballer of sublime talent. Wim Jensen RIP and thank you. And thank you Feijenoord, but not for 1970.

Wim Jansen was a great player and a great coach. Cruyff learned a lot from him believe it or not.
And of course I remember Larsson quite well, he was well talented and brought us some success too.

And of course we in Rotterdam are happy to oblige, especially with the 1970 Cup that has prominent place in the stadium  ;D

Thenop

That was fast... Our coach is leaving and joining Liverpool to succeed Klopp.