My Effin' Life [SPOILERS]

Started by Slim, November 25, 2023, 02:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I think the most obvious surprise for most people reading the book is the quantity of drugs, in particular cocaine, that the band and crew were taking while on tour. I knew Neil had a fondness for the white powder because Peter (roadcrew) told me once, years ago.

It's probable that every time I saw Rush at Newcastle City Hall, Geddy helped himself to a snort during the drum solo.

Another thing I didn't know is the state of Alex' health and it's concerning to know that he doesn't always take care of himself particularly well. Heart stress, bleeding ulcers etc etc. Troubling.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on November 25, 2023, 02:13:49 PMI think the most obvious surprise for most people reading the book is the quantity of drugs, in particular cocaine, that the band and crew were taking while on tour. I knew Neil had a fondness for the white powder because Peter (roadcrew) told me once, years ago.

It's probable that every time I saw Rush at Newcastle City Hall, Geddy helped himself to a snort during the drum solo.

Bit disappointed with that revelation. I knew they were into weed but I thought they left those other (more predictably 'rock'n'roll') substances to other less intelligent musicians. I'm gobsmacked that Neil indulged in that stuff.
Don't  tell me they also regularly indulged in mammoth clusterfucks with groupies

Slim

Quote from: David L on November 25, 2023, 02:42:41 PMDon't  tell me they also regularly indulged in mammoth clusterfucks with groupies

No sexual shennanigans, marital or extra-marital, of any kind are documented in this book.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on November 25, 2023, 03:28:59 PM
Quote from: David L on November 25, 2023, 02:42:41 PMDon't  tell me they also regularly indulged in mammoth clusterfucks with groupies

No sexual shennanigans, marital or extra-marital, of any kind are documented in this book.
Good

Slim

One of the images from the book. Geddy and Alex in their dressing room after the very last Rush gig.

I'm posting it here because it illustrates something that's apparent from Geddy's book - the degree to which Neil, by the end of the band, is isolated from the other two. By this time he travels to the gigs separately, he has his own dressing room. And he even does the end of tour party separately from Geddy and Alex, as well.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

captainkurtz

Haven't got to that bit yet...but that's really disappointing and rather depressing.

Thenop

After reading the first 80 pages or so I got caught up in other things, and my little spell of the big C did not help regain any form of focus, but yesterday afternoon I picked it up and finished it about an hour ago.
I really enjoyed the read, more than I anticipated. I have read my fair share of biographies, auto or otherwise and rarely I have come across one that feels as honest as this one.

While I am not surprised by the large amount of substances used, I am surprised about the openness of it all, and not for the sake of bragging or as an explanation or excuse only for misbehaviour. It feels sincere.

A few observations from my side:
The 'studio' mr. Bossypants sounds all to familiar, every band has one. But even more so, hearing your final recording back, outside of the studio setting is always a letdown. I can attest to that, and to hear someone say this (or rather, read it), and that someone being of the stature of Geddy, feels as if we have something in common - as odd as that may sound.

What it also makes me want to do, is to re-visit a selection of albums. Not all, I did not find the need to go back to AftK, or Hemispheres, or even PeW or MP, but 2112 for some reason I would like to, and PoW (already a favourite). Just because I want to hear and listen if I can pick up on some of the details mentioned. After that I want to do a GuP deep dive, for no other reason than it seems a very difficult album - for lack of a better word.
Oddly enough, after having read such kind words about it, I need to re-visit MFH. Not a favourite in any way, but I'd like to see if I can hear what attracts him to this album most.
And finally, I need to listen to CA more. I rate this quite high already, but I have never actually sat down, lyric sheet in hand and immersed myself. I have always considered it a collection of songs rather than a whole made up from its parts.

What stood out for me - and clearly Geddy as well - is that their is so much loss in anyone's life. I am no stranger to it, and I see how this affects one's views on life, but the very apparent Jewish take, with the grieving process so strictly laid out, gives me something to think about. Yes you need to move one, maybe indeed even as soon as possible, but it does not mean you push it aside when it is in your way.

So far, I'll let it sink in a bit. All in all very good biography, certainly a lot better than most I have read - which seem to mostly consist of a short take on the persons youth, and a fair collection of anekdotes with very little reflection, if any - that I may even return to from time to time. I did not expect this, actually I had no intend to buy or read it, but I am glad I did.

David L

I'm enjoying this. I've just reached the 'Down The Tubes Tour' in support of CoS.
Whilst discussing the production on CoS, I was interested in Geddy's opinion that the sound is too dry and lacking in echo/reverb. I've always thought that the production on CoS was lacking and inferior to FBN. Now I have a technical explanation for why I've always thought it lacked power. I always compare the difference in the two openers, Anthem is gutsy, up/front and immediate whereas Bastille Day is limp, flat and lifeless. Contrast the studio version with that on ATWAS where both tracks really rock hard.
Thanks for putting your finger on it, Ged!

dom

Absolutely loving the audio book. Only been goiing at it in fits and starts until the drive back from Yorkshire to Holyhead today. To hear Geddy attempt various accents and to get guest voices such as Lerxst really enriches the experience.

The story delivered by Alex of his hitch hike home after a gig was hilarious 😂

Just up to the COS album too and I find him so frank and honest about himself and the band. Happy to explain how he annoyed Terry Brown, in particular,  with his perfectionism and he really comes across as the member of the band most able to protect their interests, financial and creative. Hard-nosed for sure 😉

Ged is a great narrator. Really good at telling the story

Has anyone read the book and listened to the audio? Be interested to hear how the experience differs between the 2

Nick

Finished the audio today and enjoyed it with all the added insights.Way more drugs than I ever imagined.

dom

Into the 90s now and I'm a bit surprised that some of my favourite songs don't even get a mention - Kid Gloves, Between The Wheels, Middletown Dreams etc etc. It feels that some songs mean more to the fans than they do to their creators. Geddy does state that Power Windows was his favourite Rush album for quite a while.

Fascinated to hear (from Alex himself) that for PW and HYF Lerxst felt more liked a hired hand than a bone fide member of the group.

Essentially those 2 albums appear to be more of a collaboration between Geddy and Peter Collins than a Rush production.

Another point that really interested me is that Geddy was not just a musician but what came across as HR manager and even counsellor for the large road crew that supported Rush.

I wonder if that's a common enough occurrence for large tours or whether that was down to Geddy's controlling personality? Before reading this I would have assumed that a non musician would take on such a role.

dom

And how could I forget Mr Oxonfire, Mike 😂

dom

just listened to the 2 tragedies in Neil's life.  Heart-breaking stuff.  What really hit home though was how close the trio were.  Really good friends.  I didn't get that impression from listening prior to then

dom