Main Menu

Music Videos

Started by pxr5, October 09, 2023, 06:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

I thought it would be interesting to share decent music videos you've come across over the years. Unfortunately Youtube doesn't allow the more risqué ones but a search can find them in the depths of the interweb - I'll post some links in the future.

From me, this is one of my favourites. I'm not a fan of Aphex Twin particularly, but some of the better known songs (and videos) are very interesting indeed. So here is Aphex Twin - Windowlicker, with one of the best beginnings of a music video ever IMO:

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Thenop

I am one of those people that was never hung up on videos. When SkyTV and Musicbox popped up in the '80 it was a novelty and I watched it, a bit. And then returned to listening to my records. Music has always been very listening experience for me. Which makes it very likely I will see a lot of new things in this thread, so thanks for that.

Fishy

From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

Loved this one from last year - good song, too. Definitely worth watching it on the YT site in "theatre" mode.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

captainkurtz

Quote from: pxr5 on October 09, 2023, 06:53:05 PMI thought it would be interesting to share decent music videos you've come across over the years. Unfortunately Youtube doesn't allow the more risqué ones but a search can find them in the depths of the interweb - I'll post some links in the future.

From me, this is one of my favourites. I'm not a fan of Aphex Twin particularly, but some of the better known songs (and videos) are very interesting indeed. So here is Aphex Twin - Windowlicker, with one of the best beginnings of a music video ever IMO:

Good video, but the come to daddy video is better.

Directed by Chris Cunningham who made some absolutely stunning promos - Bjork's 'All is full of love' and Madonna's 'Frozen' spring to mind..

David L

IMHO, music videos devalue the music

captainkurtz

Quote from: David L on October 09, 2023, 11:20:10 PMIMHO, music videos devalue the music
It does if it's like the 'Time Stands Still' video.  Lol.

pxr5

Quote from: captainkurtz on October 09, 2023, 11:06:24 PM
Quote from: pxr5 on October 09, 2023, 06:53:05 PMI thought it would be interesting to share decent music videos you've come across over the years. Unfortunately Youtube doesn't allow the more risqué ones but a search can find them in the depths of the interweb - I'll post some links in the future.

Good video, but the come to daddy video is better.

Directed by Chris Cunningham who made some absolutely stunning promos - Bjork's 'All is full of love' and Madonna's 'Frozen' spring to mind..
I was going to post both Come to Daddy and All is Full of Love lol - both great videos as is another Aphex twin one - Rubber Johnny

Slim

I like the song, but I often think of this as one of the worst music videos ever.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

I saw one the other day I lied actually, I think Imposted that aswll. The fact that I liked it, nt the video. It's one the the Steven Wilson ones. I like the choreography.
but in general I have difficulty connecting the music to the video. if it's a band ona stage playing the song - yes I get it. But often the videos are so disconnected fomr the the music thatI find it distracting and confusing.
Anyway, it's this one:

Edit: it's actually one shot, one camera. Cool. (except for the little bit at the end).

Slim

The Old Grey Whistle Test used to make up their own music videos. I think this was broadcast in the late '70s, I remember seeing it live. Every time I hear Trampled Underfoot I think about this.

It's obviously completely disconnected from the music in one sense yet I think it works beautifully.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

This is another impressive video from Chris Cunningham and Aphex Twin. I remember when it came out, you could only buy it on DVD. Quite disturbing but gripping too. 

Rubber Johnny:

dom

I really like the Radiohead videos that accompanied the 2nd and 3rd albums.  This is probably my favourite...

pxr5

Boogie Pimps - Somebody To Love    probably NSFW

pxr5