Main Menu

Bought any Vinyl Recently?

Started by pxr5, March 02, 2022, 09:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenop

Quote from: Ali on June 25, 2024, 12:21:50 PMUFO - No Heavy Petting (2023 remaster, triple clear vinyl)
Lovely album, Can You Roll Her is a fantastic song, but really the whole album is great.

pxr5

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Ali

pxr5

I've just ordered this from an auction win on ebay, yet to arrive yet though. There are only 6 copies for sale on Discogs ranging from £150-£200. Got this for £43. Indigo vinyl too  :)

Pendragon - Pure (LP, 2008)
BC, SPO

Generated at awesomeprog.com

Thenop

Stumbled upon Face Dances on Marktplaats (Dutch Ebay sort of..), the 2021 RSD re-issue on yellow & blue vinyl, couldn't resist especially since it was just 20EUR. So bought it.
And just because I could I bought a German 1973 copy of Led Zeppelin I. Excellent looking piece of vinyl.

Thenop

Not yet, browsing my way through a seller's catalogue on Discogs, putting things in and taking them out of the basket. Meanwhile checking out whether these LPs were any good to begin with by listening to them on Tidal. Kind of like old fashion record shopping, you can only buy what they have.
Sometimes the chase is simply better than the catch you know...I might end up buying 10, or none at all.

pxr5

I'm the same - I'm putting things in my basket all the time on Discogs then removing them later - as you say like window shopping. I have my own self-imposed rules though: UK only and a healthy feedback score. I prefer ebay for the security. In saying that I've had no problems with any Discogs purchases.

Ali

Aerosmith - Rocks (original 1976 UK pressing, sleeve a bit battered, vinyl perfect 👌🏻)

pxr5

I've got the 4x clear vinyl 45rpm version of this already, buy this came up for a few quiid on white vinyl - couldn't resist lol:

Porcupine Tree - CLOSURE / CONTINUATION (LP, 2022)
SPO

Thenop

Waited long enough and jusr went for it. 1 of them was n longer available, but the there 8 were. So for 12 eur as average price, this is nice shopping. Let's see what I bought when they arrive :-)

Thenop

They are in and in fantastic shape. The only one a bit scuffed is Pat Travers' Makin' Magic (with a very young Nicko McBrain on the back cover), but I knew that and it was cheap.
The list:
Joe Walsh - So What
Wild Horses - S/T (Jimmy Bain's outfit)
More - Blood & Thunder
The Hunt - Back on the Hunt
April Wine - The Nature of the Beast & First Glance
Exises - S/T (Dutch band)

On Discogs you can use any user handle you want, but when you pay through Paypal, it usually states the correct name. And I had a sneaky suspicion who the seller was. I just cleaned the records and found my suspicion confirmed. It's a music journalist who did lots of reviews back in the day. I know this because the name matches and I found 2 press releases in the LP covers :-)

Thenop

Went shopping, as an aside to a purposeful meeting...
So used:
Ry Cooder - Chicken Skin Music
Mr. Big - Lean Into It
Testament - Live at Eindhoven (1987, I was there..)
Golden Earring - Prisoner of the Night
More - Warhead
Thin Lizzy - Johnny the Fox
and, long since sought after and now found:
Lynch Mob - Wicked Sensation

New:
Dvne - Etemen Ænka
The Watchers - Nyctophylia

So what was the purpose of the visit?
A shop / record label released the demos for the band I am playing with later this year on CD, polished up, all nice sounding, and we went to retrieve the material that was supplied for this (tapes, old photos etc.).

Also, to meet the owner, one of the nicest and most genuine guys you'll ever meet. Lovely man. Unbeknownst to us (there were 3 of 5, me not being an original band member and not having played on these demos) a handful of people showed up to 'meet the band'. I have spoken earlier about my reluctance to situations such as these but as it goes, photos had to be taken and CDs had to be signed. I understand it, people want it but it just feels awkward. Anyway, it was a nice day out, meeting some lovely people, the weather was nice and I got to buy records. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday  :)

(My wife, who knows me so well, had a right chuckle when she saw one picture, my natural habitat is clearly not in a picture with other people. I do well in shoots, I have learned how to master one specific pose, but photoshoots by definition are very anti-social happenings. I thrive at those..).

pxr5

There is some controversy with the cover of this album. The image is actually the dead body of a woman photographed in a morgue. It's never been totally confirmed that this is a fact and even the band don't know for sure, but it certainly generated publicity either way. I think she looks like Suzi Perry.

Galahad - Sleepers (LP, 1995)

Thenop

Quote from: pxr5 on July 30, 2024, 10:30:57 AMThere is some controversy with the cover of this album. The image is actually the dead body of a woman photographed in a morgue. It's never been totally confirmed that this is a fact and even the band don't know for sure, but it certainly generated publicity either way. I think she looks like Suzi Perry.

Galahad - Sleepers (LP, 1995)

I am no expert but she looks far from dead to me. Anyway: the controversy the better, for album covers that is.

Thenop

I took the afternoon off. I was somehow demotivated and rather than staring a screen I wanted to wander around. I ended up, as usual, in a record store. 2 actually, although not at the same time, that would make for a different story.
I found some interesting things and I called my brother to congratulate him with his birthday and he asked: you got antying nice? I told him: 'not for you'. We have similar taste, but I am 11 years older (as of today, cme April next year I am again 12 years his senior, arbitrary I know) but I have been listening to and collecting music since I was little. My taste has both got stuck and evolved at the same time, again it sounds weird but the more music I listen to, the more I want to hear. So what did I find then?

Used:
Shaft soundtrack, Isaac Hayes fun album, blaxploitation galore, love it
Joe Walsh - The Smoker You Drink, the Player You Get, pristine vinyl, UK press.

New:
Tom Skinner - Voices of Bishara
Philip Sayce - The Wolves are Coming
Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway
Boz Scaggs - S/T (yes this is the one with Duane Allman, this is so beautiful)

You see, my brother and I go out and see bands: Slash, Iron Maiden, Kiss, Tremonti, King's X are just a few we saw but you get the jist. What I bought does not fit that picture.

But maybe even better than the LPs I took home are the conversations I have/had with lovely people in the shops. In shop nr. 1 I spoke with one of the staff that put great effort in educating me on the new English jazz scene. I have some albums, I know some artists but I now need to find more artists. Fortunately more people work there, he had til duty I think and the line grew a bit so he had to call over someone else because he was busy speaking to me.
Shop nr. 2 is easily my favourite record shop. The 75+ year old owner always has stories to tell, and albums to praise. I had the Joe Walsh and he insisted I listened to the Boz Scaggs, so I did. And that is how you sell albums. I have been there many times before, been invited into the 'back' to gaze at the old equipment he has, listen to mono records on a small player, see the actual size of his stock (which is huge) and gave a man a friendly nod. Most peculiar, this old man (I mean old) sitting behind an old schooldesk, a stack of paperwork in front of him. He was doing the administration, he comes in once a week and sits in the back because he doesn't like people. I can relate, but not today. I genuinely enjoyed speaking to people this afternoon, real human beings, with real interest in other people. They do exist, they are just hard to find.