Main Menu

Bought any Vinyl Recently?

Started by pxr5, March 02, 2022, 09:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenop

Joel Ross - Parable of the Poet and the recently released Nublues, which is a fantastic album. Ross plays the vibraphone and has delivered a lovely album in the spirit of Coltrane's bluesy music. There are even 2 of Trane's compositions on this album, Equinox and Central Park West and Monks' Evidence also gets the bluesy soulful treatment this albums breathes. It's an easy listen, not a very post bop busy type of album, but a very well played (alt saxophonist Immanuel Wilkins does his thing, and he does it so good) but really the whole band is fantastic.
If you like a bit of contemporary jazz, but not too modern, give this a try. Nublues, it will not disappoint.

Nickslikk2112

Thenop

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on February 29, 2024, 03:05:20 PMIhsahn - Ihsahn

You have the set with the orchestral disc as well? Without the razorblade vocals that is.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Thenop on February 29, 2024, 06:10:08 PM
Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on February 29, 2024, 03:05:20 PMIhsahn - Ihsahn

You have the set with the orchestral disc as well? Without the razorblade vocals that is.
No :(

Nickslikk2112

Jethro Tull - The Chateau d'Hérouville Sessions 1972

Thenop

Joe Henderson - Power to the People - a jazz dispensary title
Donald Byrd - A New Perspective - blue note classic release

pxr5

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nickslikk2112

Judas Priest - Invincible Shield
Wytch Hazel - II: Sojourn

Thenop

Alice Coltrane - The Carnegie Hall Concert Another lovely archive release recorded well over 50 years ago. I read some people's opinions, I shouldn't have. "It's not perfect!", "there's tape dropouts!", yeah well 50 years of a tape being stored somewhere will do that. I really love these kind of recordings, it sounds real. Not doctored, not 'brought into the modern age'. The first half of the concert is as hypnotic as you'd expect it would be, the second half slowly moves toward chaotic improv, also exactly as you'd want it to be. I for one, am glad I spent money on this and I'll gladly let the naysayers stream all they want.

pxr5

I got these for only £15 each direct from the band's site:

Drifting Sun - Twilight (LP, 2017)    Transparent Red With Black Marbling
BC, SPO

Drifting Sun - Forsaken Innocence (LP, 2021)
BC, SPO

Generated at awesomeprog.com

Thenop

The Cure - Paris. Re-issue of this great live album.

captainkurtz

Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Dune
Managed to nab for £19 when it was briefly reduced on Amazon yesterday.  Back up to £41 now..

pxr5

pxr5

David L

I bought two new LPs from HMV that landed this weekend.

John Mellencamp - Strictly A One-Eyed Jack
Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden.

Both are good pressings but I'm particularly impressed with Spirit Of Eden. This record is full of near silent passages and I had little hope that it would work on LP but it's wonderful! On the Parlophone label on heavy vinyl, they've done a sterling job with this. The lack of surface noise is mindblowing. It comes with a DVD Audio disc of the album too and was a very reasonable £21.99.
The Mellencamp LP was discounted from £29.99 to £17.99 so great value too
:)