Main Menu

Bought any Vinyl Recently?

Started by pxr5, March 02, 2022, 09:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

Just picked up a mint copy of Pallas - The Sentinel from ebay for a few quid.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

pxr5

Pallas - The Wedge
King Crimson - USA (2LP expanded version)

Nickslikk2112

Just ordered: Rosalie Cunningham - Two Piece Puzzle

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: pxr5 on March 02, 2022, 09:42:42 PMJust picked up a mint copy of Pallas - The Sentinel from ebay for a few quid.

Is that the original album or the expanded version that was released years later (was that just on cd?). If its the original does it have its poster inside? What do you think of the music? I thought was brilliant back in the 80s, everyone at school was listen to the bloody "Smiths" and I was listening to neo prog and the mighty Hawkwind.

Very apt album for our times.

pxr5

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on March 13, 2022, 03:13:59 PM
Quote from: pxr5 on March 02, 2022, 09:42:42 PMJust picked up a mint copy of Pallas - The Sentinel from ebay for a few quid.

Is that the original album or the expanded version that was released years later (was that just on cd?). If its the original does it have its poster inside? What do you think of the music? I thought was brilliant back in the 80s, everyone at school was listen to the bloody "Smiths" and I was listening to neo prog and the mighty Hawkwind.

Very apt album for our times.

It's the original version on Harvest, gatefold. No poster, but according to Discogs only initial copies had the poster. I like the music, and these early albums have a nice 80s sound. I admit at the time Pallas passed me by and I'm hearing these LPs for the first time. Have you heard their later albums? XXV from 2011 and Wearewhoweare from 2014? Fantastic both.

Rufus_the_dawg

No the latest Pallas album I have is the Cross and Crucible. I have the poster somewhere (nicked from my brothers album when I was a kid), I bought the new version with more songs change of order, the history of the sentinel is very interesting and worth looking up.  The 80s neo prog scene is very interesting but journalist always leave out the madness of The Cardiacs though. I think Pendragon's The Jewel is simple stunning and I like some of the later Pendragon albums but The Jewel is brilliant but that line up only did one album and they never topped this album. Kowtow was a real let down for me. Yes I like the 80s sound, people criticise the sound but it is what it is. There is a near gothic sound to the early neo prog bands which I adore except the The Jewel which has this lovely happy sound. Sorry rambling I could ramble on if you like.

pxr5

Yes, Pendragon's The Jewel is a tremendous album - for me Alaska tops any neo-prog song. Again their latest - Love Over Fear - is a stunning album, with some very, very good songs there.

Maybe a new thread is needed for neo-prog chat  :)

Rufus_the_dawg

CD, Duke Ellington - Far eastern suite RM
CDs x3 Tori Amos- Boys for Pele, Venus and back. Scarlett walk

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: pxr5 on March 13, 2022, 06:13:20 PMYes, Pendragon's The Jewel is a tremendous album - for me Alaska tops any neo-prog song. Again their latest - Love Over Fear - is a stunning album, with some very, very good songs there.

I will, If you have never listened to them check out It bites- Once around the world. Prog meets pop, Allan holdsworth style guitar solos mixed in to level 42 hooks and melodies. They are a sort of Pop jazz fusion prog band, very pop.

Slim

More a sort of lightweight-Genesis pop-prog band, I'd say. But most of their stuff sounds pretty dated now.

Once Around The World is their masterpiece.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

Yes completely, interesting I hear YES. I have a soft spot for their third album and the reincarnation with John Mitchell which is successful update.

I think this is stunning

I saw them a couple times in the late 80s at the Cambridge corn exchange which has awful acoustics and they were the only band that could get a descent sound in there.

pxr5

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on March 16, 2022, 12:36:52 PM
Quote from: pxr5 on March 13, 2022, 06:13:20 PMYes, Pendragon's The Jewel is a tremendous album - for me Alaska tops any neo-prog song. Again their latest - Love Over Fear - is a stunning album, with some very, very good songs there.

I will, If you have never listened to them check out It bites- Once around the world. Prog meets pop, Allan holdsworth style guitar solos mixed in to level 42 hooks and melodies. They are a sort of Pop jazz fusion prog band, very pop.

Yes, I know It Bites well. I have Map of the Past on vinyl, and will get The Tall Ships too one day. John Mitchell is their front man these days; he of Arena, Kino, Lonely Robot and Frost* - all of which I like very much, particularly Frost*.

Slim

I'm not fond of the John Mitchell version of It Bites myself.

Was going to reply that the band is done now but apparently there was talk of a new album coming out this year.

In late 2020, Mitchell began dropping mentions of new It Bites work, including a Facebook comment on 13 December 2020 that "we're doing an It Bites album (communication permitting). We may be some time."[33] This was followed in June 2021 by an article in Prog magazine issue 120, in which Dalton blamed the mid-decade foundering of the Mitchell-era band on "a basic lack of continuity. It was stop-start, stop-start." In the same article, Mitchell stated that work on the new album was continuing (with a line-up of Mitchell, Beck and Dalton) and that a record contract had been signed, with a view to releasing the new album at the start of 2022.[34]

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

captainkurtz

I'm still partial to their second and third record.  Don't like the new line up at all, no Dunnery, no point.