Main Menu

Equipment

Started by Slim, February 28, 2022, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonners

Quote from: dom on April 04, 2022, 02:33:42 PM
Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on April 04, 2022, 10:01:38 AMI am after a descent heart monitor -strap and watch. Any surjections?

Thinking of a Polar ft7 or a Garmin 410 any thoughts.

Any reason for getting the strap?  Is it more accurate than just leaving it to the watch?

They all should be taken with a pinch of salt, but watches most definitely should not be trusted

dom

Really, I know that whenever my heart rate was taken in hospital it pretty much matches the reading on my watch. I wouldn't want to rely on it if my life was dependent on it but it is a reasonable indicator that confirms whether you've been pushing it or taking it easier.

Jonners

Yep, but I wouldnt use a watch for anything more than a general overview of whether you have been active or not, and I certainly wouldnt trust the numbers empirically

Slim

Noticed that the saddle on Boardman II was tilted slightly; the seat post is a similar design (albeit with two bolts) to the one on the Planet X which I replaced and it's the same problem; the saddle mount is curved and it's shifted back a bit.

Probably just needs to be adjusted and have the bolts tightened, but I've bought a new carbon seat post anyway. Not expensive, less than £20 (a bit cheaper than the last one).

I may put it on the Cannondale though and migrate the Cannondale one down to the Boardman.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

New seat post arrived. Feels a bit more rigid and heavier than the first one but on close inspection it's definitely carbon fibre. Might be that the bracket that the saddle fits to is steel, rather than alloy.

Anyway it's fine but I might put this one on the X and the X one on the Cannondale.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

So I weighed them, out of curiosity and yep the cheaper seat post is heavier (244g) than the one I fitted to the X (195g). I didn't actually remove the X one to weigh it, I bought an identical one for the Cannondale and will fit the heavier one to Boardman II. Probably. Curious about the weight of a typical alloy seat post.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on April 11, 2022, 03:26:54 PMSo I weighed them, out of curiosity and yep the cheaper seat post is heavier (244g) than the one I fitted to the X (195g). I didn't actually remove the X one to weigh it, I bought an identical one for the Cannondale and will fit the heavier one to Boardman II. Probably. Curious about the weight of a typical alloy seat post.
Bi(cycle)-curious

Slim

Well the original alloy Cannondale seat post weighs 246g with the grease removed. So I'd have saved 2g with the cheaper carbon post. And 51g with the other one, which I regard as significant. Good times!

I only really care about the weight of the Cannondale and the Roubaix, as I probably wouldn't do a really long ride on one of the other bikes. But a carbon post should intercept and diffuse a bit of road buzz before it has a chance to interfere with my bottom.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Well bum. Turns out the Cannondale takes a 27.2mm seat post. Looking closely, it looks like the Roubaix does as well. The two new ones are 31.6, but at least they'll fit the Boardmen.

The S Works already has a carbon seat post so there's not much else I can do with them. Except send them back of course, but I almost never do that. Mrs S reckons it's a male thing.

At least they weren't expensive.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

New 27.2mm seat post, fitted to my Cannondale. It was already my lightest bike (surprisingly, slightly lighter than the S Works). Now it's about 50g lighter! But more noticeably, it definitely improves the ride.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Jonners

Nice! I switched to a carbon seatpost last year and it improves the ride defo

Fishy

Wife's bike stand sheared off as well yesterday.. it's all going wrong.... Any way going in today for a health check so hopefully it's fixable...
From The Land of Honest Men

Nick

Do you have a link for that pls Slim?

Slim

Quote from: Nick on April 22, 2022, 12:15:57 PMDo you have a link for that pls Slim?

yep sure :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09N7796YY/

I bought the 350mm / 27.2 mm version for the Cannondale.

I also have this cheaper one in the Boardman:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09535J6PN/

Slightly heavier (lighter than the alloy one it replaced though) but made a similar difference to ride comfort, definite improvement.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on April 22, 2022, 12:55:02 PM
Quote from: Nick on April 22, 2022, 12:15:57 PMDo you have a link for that pls Slim?

yep sure :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09N7796YY/

I bought the 350mm / 27.2 mm version for the Cannondale.

I also have this cheaper one in the Boardman:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09535J6PN/

Slightly heavier (lighter than the alloy one it replaced though) but made a similar difference to ride comfort, definite improvement.

Might have a measure-up and get my two bikes upgraded