Main Menu

Equipment

Started by Slim, February 28, 2022, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

Quote from: Jonners on March 02, 2022, 03:02:29 PMMy enforced step back from outdoor cycling has saved me a fortune

Love the fact that the Fish has now entered the world where suddenly your wallet gets a hammering:

Sunglasses: Just make sure they are properly UV, they fit, and are shatter proof, as sooner or later they will fall off. And a clear pair for when its dark or not sunny/rainy

Lights: UV ones for me, but I rarely ride at night now, roads too bad round here

Shorts: Dont go cheap, the padding is everything. And ideally bib shorts (straps over the shoulders)

Decent Helmet: Dont go cheap, could save your life

One of the best purchases I ever made, other than good tyres, was a gas pump rather than a hand pump

Always had some bits n pieces but getting some proper stuff now...
Getting more into it now that I've stopped Squash due to persistant muscle tears etc etc...
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

I have a different point of view than Jonners in some respects. Firstly - inexpensive stuff from Amazon can be thoroughly adequate. My favourite cycling shorts cost £13.99, I have two pairs of them but they've lasted for ages. I did a 200 mile bike ride in them in 2020 and they were fine. I also have a couple of pairs that I've had a bit longer than those ones, and they are still fine as well.

I would agree that bib shorts stay in place better but they are very awkward if you want to stop for a discreet wee behind a bush so I never wear them.

My helmet cost £8 or something from Tesco and it's thoroughly robust. In all honesty I don't wear one that often. When it's cold I wear a woolly hat and when it's warm and the sun is a bit dazzling I wear a cap. I'm not recommending this approach, but - I have done 32,000 miles on a bike without my head colliding with anything more substantial than a wasp or a twig, so statistically I believe it to be a reasonable policy.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

I always wear a helmet - mainly to placate Mrs S - as if you're in a bad high speed accident a helmet is neither use nor ornament. 25% of car driver road deaths are from Head injury and nobody clamours for drivers to be wearing helmets.

I wear a cheap pair of cycling glasses from Wilko. Mrs S bought them for me and they have lasted much longer than any supposed "quality" pair.

As a general rule, the more you shell out on bib shorts the better it is for your comfort. My Rapha ones are far and away the best I've had, but Wiggle's dhb aren't bad.

Slim

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on March 02, 2022, 05:12:34 PMAs a general rule, the more you shell out on bib shorts the better it is for your comfort. My Rapha ones are far and away the best I've had, but Wiggle's dhb aren't bad.

Just ordered a pair of dhb shorts from Wiggle. Perhaps I'll wear them for longer rides. Haven't had a new pair for a couple of years.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Quote from: dom on March 01, 2022, 08:27:52 PMThese are the ones I got. Took them to the optician once I arrived to fit the prescription lenses that sit behind the photochromatic lenses. Only had them since Jan so only used them for 200kms and only once in bright sunshine but early impressions are good...

ht
Quote from: Slim on March 01, 2022, 12:02:21 AM90 hours, wow. Even if it's half that, pretty phenomenal.

Not sure they're capable of anything like that!

Rufus_the_dawg

Saw this and thought of you guys...not sure its in the right place though. Nick would troll the trolls!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2022/mar/03/anti-cycling-trolls-andrew-tierney-online-abuse

Slim

Noticed that Boardman II has a flat rear tyre when I visited the garage yesterday. I think I'll take an opportunity to change the tyres, as well as the rear inner. The yellow ones are a nice match for the colour scheme of the frame but they look tarty. Plain ones, I think.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Jonners

I do like the coloured tyres very much.

The helmet debate will always rage on, I know if I get hit by a car the helmet will probably be irrelevant. But the 3 crashes I have had my head hit the road each time, and I have zero doubt that I would have been very badly hurt If I had not been wearing one. Very badly

For the sake of simply clipping it on, I dont even notice I am wearing one these days when I am out

Im not going to be swayed by the cheap/expensive argument on shorts though. Its the one thing I really dont compromise on when it comes to my clobber.

Fishy

How much mileage you getting out yer chain... my bike was in for a few checkups.. was told the chain was on the cusp of being done..500 miles.. was expecting it to last a few more miles...
From The Land of Honest Men

David L

Quote from: Fishy on March 30, 2022, 10:49:57 PMHow much mileage you getting out yer chain... my bike was in for a few checkups.. was told the chain was on the cusp of being done..500 miles.. was expecting it to last a few more miles...
That's poor. Cheap chain?

Slim

More than 500.. I'd be swapping a chain ten times a year at that rate.

I changed the chain on my Planet X for the first time this month, just checked and it had done 5818 miles. And I'm not super-meticulous about keeping them clean, I usually just hose them out with GT85 and lube them again. The last one probably got cleaned properly with degreaser and a brush twice, if that.

I probably should have changed the chain sooner, but I'd say you should get at least 3000 miles out of a road bike chain.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

I get about 2,500 - 3,000 miles out of my chains. Winter weather wears them out more quickly if you don't keep cleaning them.
Not got a 12 speed bike yet, but word is 12 speed chains wear out more quickly.

Slim

New cycling shorts arrived from Amazon yesterday

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0928W1JX2/

Robustly padded, comfortable, seem well made. Only £8.99. Will try them out tomorrow I hope.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

I am after a decent heart monitor -strap and watch. Any suggestions?

Thinking of a Polar ft7 or a Garmin 410 any thoughts.

dom

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on April 04, 2022, 10:01:38 AMI am after a descent heart monitor -strap and watch. Any surjections?

Thinking of a Polar ft7 or a Garmin 410 any thoughts.

Any reason for getting the strap?  Is it more accurate than just leaving it to the watch?