Main Menu

Equipment

Started by Slim, February 28, 2022, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

This rather cheap-looking thing is a new bike light I've just received from Amazon. I have a lot of bike lights I must admit. They're one of my go-to options for retail therapy.

So why did I buy this one? Well - my mum has gone into a nursing home now and for some reason, she had a very large number of AA batteries in her house, most which I've now inherited. This rear light is unusual in taking AAs rather than AAAs. Just a way of using them up.

The light with batteries is substantially heavier than a AAA-equipped light would be, but - I did have an idea that on a very long ride, I could leave it empty all day then swap the AAs from my DAB personal into it. Then I could use my phone to listen to the radio for the last 30 or 40 miles.

So in that circumstance, it would actually save a bit of weight.

It seems to work well. My only question mark would be the water resistance.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

I bought myself some usb re-chargeable front and back lights
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

I have some USB ones as well, these ones are really good -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Defurhome-Rechargeable-Battery-Bicycle-Waterproof/dp/B07Y36TGRS/

I mostly use rechargeable ones as spares though - they're much more likely to run out of juice on a ride. I nearly always use an LED torch as a front light - they tend to be brighter. But actually the front light from the Amazon set above is just about bright enough to light up the road ahead.

I use a small front light in flashing mode for dusk, when it's still light enough to see the road, or when going through decently lit areas. The little silicon strappy ones that take a coin cell are ideal for that.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

This was my last amazon rear light purchase. Lots of pretty patterns but doesn't seem that powerful and I'm not sure about battery life. Jury's out...

Deal: DONPEREGRINO M2 - Compact LED Bike Rear Light up to 90 Hours Battery Life, USB Rechargeable Bicycle Tail Light with 5 Steady Flash Modes https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KXWCTJ2/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_dl_KAEFKQA3B3H88DB8ZC31?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Slim

90 hours, wow. Even if it's half that, pretty phenomenal.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Anybody using any dash cams?..had a look at GoPros which seem very expensive..any cheaper decent alternatives

Slim

I did buy a handlebar cam years ago. In itself it worked OK but the results were very wobbly. Can't remember if I ever tried mounting it on a helmet, it did come with a mount for that (or I might have bought one).

What I did in the end was to buy a regular camera mount and mount it on the seat post. The footage you get that way is more stable although of course it's a rear view. But for me it was just a novelty and I only tried it once or twice.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nick

Always fancied a drone to follow me as I cycled.

Slim

I had that same idea after I bought one a couple of years ago, never tried it though.

Actually I'm currently not able to fly it legally, bought it when you didn't need a licence but that's changed.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Cycling specs/ goggles..any recommendations?

Nick

Do you need prescription glasses?

dom

These are the ones I got. Took them to the optician once I arrived to fit the prescription lenses that sit behind the photochromatic lenses. Only had them since Jan so only used them for 200kms and only once in bright sunshine but early impressions are good...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075R7HNG4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Fishy

Quote from: Nick on March 01, 2022, 07:44:34 PMDo you need prescription glasses?

No just something to stop all the crap getting into my eyes

Slim

I have a pair of Oakley cycling glasses (actually generic "sports glasses" possibly) like these ones, except mine are grey and light blue:

I had them fitted with my varifocal prescription. Very light and comfy, though to be honest more often than not I just put on an old pair of varifocals, the same ones I use for driving or Tesco.

Varifocals have been brilliant for cycling, for me. They allow me to focus on a watch or a bike computer, and also to have a clear view of the road into the distance.

I also have some cycling sunglasses similar to Dom's, with a prescription insert that goes behind the main lenses. They came with a number of interchangeable front lenses including clear ones but I only use the highly reflective dark filter ones. They look ridiculous with the clear lenses because you can see the insert behind.

These look like they'd do what you want:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polarized-Cycling-Sunglasses-Interchangeable-Protection/dp/B08976MR2V/

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Jonners

My enforced step back from outdoor cycling has saved me a fortune

Love the fact that the Fish has now entered the world where suddenly your wallet gets a hammering:

Sunglasses: Just make sure they are properly UV, they fit, and are shatter proof, as sooner or later they will fall off. And a clear pair for when its dark or not sunny/rainy

Lights: UV ones for me, but I rarely ride at night now, roads too bad round here

Shorts: Dont go cheap, the padding is everything. And ideally bib shorts (straps over the shoulders)

Decent Helmet: Dont go cheap, could save your life

One of the best purchases I ever made, other than good tyres, was a gas pump rather than a hand pump