Main Menu

Trevor Rabin - Rio

Started by Matt2112, September 06, 2023, 10:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

Time to start a thread for this upcoming album: a second track, Push, has dropped on YouTube; a near seven minutes of proggy pop-rock and my initial impressions are very, very favourable indeed.

This follows the excellent radio rocker Big Mistakes, so this album is shaping up to meet all my high expectations.

And, sorry, I can't help comparing Trevor's new output to Steve Wilson's here; it strikes me as being on a completely different level in terms of songcraft and musicianship. And everything else for that matter.

Slim

Yes, Wilson is very slick and sophisticated but I've rarely found much real substance to what he does.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

I really like Wilson but the last Porcupine Tree album left me very cold as did his solo effort before that.  Hopefully that was just a dip. 

Will try and give Rio a listen when it's released.

Slim

Quote from: Matt2112 on September 06, 2023, 10:18:17 AMTime to start a thread for this upcoming album: a second track, Push, has dropped on YouTube; a near seven minutes of proggy pop-rock and my initial impressions are very, very favourable indeed.

I listened to this. I did like it, but it was a bit busy for my taste. Reminded me of Wishbone Ash, interestingly.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

I called it "proggy pop-rock" but after a couple more listens I'm now thinking it's more "poppy prog-rock". :)

Fishy

I could never get on with the Yes Rabin era stuff...
From The Land of Honest Men